LED Flickering! Will a new fan controller do the same?!

jdsb52

So few months back i got some red led aerocool shark devils, now currently got them hooked up to my cm storm troopers fan controller which causes the led to flicker if not on full, im guessing due to the controller only using two pin fan cables, so if i got a sentry mix 2 or lamptorn cw611, will i still get flicker?

Unfortunately yes. CM Storm Trooper fan controller works with a wierd behaviour: instead of lowering the Voltage to slow down the fans, it makes the current "pulse" and this causes LED flickering if you have LEDs attached to the controller.

So few months back i got some red led aerocool shark devils, now currently got them hooked up to my cm storm troopers fan controller which causes the led to flicker if not on full, im guessing due to the controller only using two pin fan cables, so if i got a sentry mix 2 or lamptorn cw611, will i still get flicker?

not sure about the sentry mix 2...but ya i also hooked up cooler master stickle flow with the nzxt phantom 410 fan controller...same problem...

Unfortunately yes. CM Storm Trooper fan controller works with a wierd behaviour: instead of lowering the Voltage to slow down the fans, it makes the current "pulse" and this causes LED flickering if you have LEDs attached to the controller.

So would a aftermarket controller do the same? i dont think it would as they use all three pins which im guessing the third is for voltage control!

not sure about the sentry mix 2...but ya i also hooked up cooler master stickle flow with the nzxt phantom 410 fan controller...same problem...

and yeah i think if cases had a proper controller the companies would charge more, its a shame really

So would a aftermarket controller do the same? i dont think it would as they use all three pins which im guessing the third is for voltage control!

and yeah i think if cases had a proper controller the companies would charge more, its a shame really

ya they r just like temporary fan controllers...eventually they will be of no use...i am also thinking of getting a nice fan controller and a bunch of 4 pin fans...

ya they r just like temporary fan controllers...eventually they will be of no use...i am also thinking of getting a nice fan controller and a bunch of 4 pin fans...

Hmmm cant say i have ever seen a 4pin fan controller, i could be wrong tho, and yeah i was getting either the NZXT Sentry Mix 2 or the Lamptron CW611, both 6 channel and 30w per channel and the CW611 is perfect for water cooling with its extra features apparently.

Hmmm cant say i have ever seen a 4pin fan controller, i could be wrong tho, and yeah i was getting either the NZXT Sentry Mix 2 or the Lamptron CW611, both 6 channel and 30w per channel and the CW611 is perfect for water cooling with its extra features apparently.

sentry mix 2 is a pwm fan controller...means it will have 4 pin fan connectors...

sentry mix 2 is a pwm fan controller...means it will have 4 pin fan connectors...

Oh yeah, helps if i read the specs properly lol :wacko:

Nope. Any fan controller (Trooper is the only exception) uses volt modulation (12V is max RPM, so slowing the fan = lowering the voltage). The flickering is caused by Tropper controller only.

Wrong. It has the slot for 4 pins but it is not a PWM controller, it works with voltage modulation as any other controller.

I searched everywhere and I still did NOT find any PWM fan controller.

Nope. Any fan controller (Trooper is the only exception) uses volt modulation (12V is max RPM, so slowing the fan = lowering the voltage). The flickering is caused by Tropper controller only.

Wrong. It has the slot for 4 pins but it is not a PWM controller, it works with voltage modulation as any other controller.

I searched everywhere and I still did NOT find any PWM fan controller.

no...first read this article...

http://www.swiftech.com/pwmcontrollers.aspx

and here is something that may work for u....

http://www.zalman.com/global/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=341

no...first read this article...

http://www.swiftech.com/pwmcontrollers.aspx

and here is something that may work for u....

http://www.zalman.com/global/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=341

PWM controllers that work on 12V voltage pin are very very rare. Most of controllers I have seen (like 99&) work voltage modulation (voltage lowering).

The Zalman controller works that way too.

It's enough to check the controller output: if it is a voltage range, then it is voltage modulation and not "PWM on supply line".

Thanks for the article though, didn't know that controllers with PWM on supply line existed (aside from the wierd Trooper controller).

PWM controllers that work on 12V voltage pin are very very rare. Most of controllers I have seen (like 99&) work voltage modulation (voltage lowering).

The Zalman controller works that way too.

It's enough to check the controller output: if it is a voltage range, then it is voltage modulation and not "PWM on supply line".

Thanks for the article though, didn't know that controllers with PWM on supply line existed (aside from the wierd Trooper controller).

ya true...pure pwm fan controller r hard to find...almost every controller work on voltage modulation...

You could try Aquaero 6 XT, that thing has PWM control or if you are old school, go for a T-balancer BigNG

You could try Aquaero 6 XT, that thing has PWM control or if you are old school, go for a T-balancer BigNG

NZXT just released (like 2 days ago) the Grid+ which can be easily described as "a modern T-balancer". It has no thermal probes BUT you can set your personal fan curve based on components temperature read by motherboard (which is more accurate than putting probes and also way more easy and elegant solution imho).

The only negative note I saw so more (from images) is that fan connector are 3-pins without much space around so if you have a 4-pin fan you can use a short cable adapter (why they didn't make a little bit larger holes is a mistery to me...).

I really hope that NZXT sends some to Linus, can't way for a full review :P

NZXT just released (like 2 days ago) the Grid+ which can be easily described as "a modern T-balancer". It has no thermal probes BUT you can set your personal fan curve based on components temperature read by motherboard (which is more accurate than putting probes and also way more easy and elegant solution imho).

The only negative note I saw so more (from images) is that fan connector are 3-pins without much space around so if you have a 4-pin fan you can use a short cable adapter (why they didn't make a little bit larger holes is a mistery to me...).

Got the same sorta thing on my Enthoo Primo, little hubs like them that go inside do work quite well!

There are currently no reviews on CAM yet, i might download and try it out. I won't exactly say it is a modern T-Balancer however it does have similar features when paired with the CAM software. 

The Aquaero 5 LT is still king in terms of Fan Controller suppose as it's fan curves have so many points which you can customizer. A lot more than just seven offered by the T Balancer. It also has better software and comes with eight sensor slots which you can use. 

All it needs is a heatsink and it's good to go. The T Balancer BigNG only has six sensor slots available without buying any of the other expansions. The T Balancer is pretty much surpassed by Aquaero series since it has no software support. Cost more compared to the LT edition. Has less probes on the device. And worst fan curve gradients. Only reason to use it is because you have it. 

I do agree on your analogy how attaching thermal probes to heatsinks are less accurate.( A Margin which is around a few degrees). But i think there is a place for thermal probes since it gives the user the flexibility to attach it to any component. E.g VRM componenets or Chipset or Hard drive or just to measure the temperature in the case. There is a reason why it is there. And tbh, they aren't that much less accurate. When you place a thermal probe on a heatsink, since the heatsink is a good conductor. It should more or less represent the temperature of the component the heatsink is cooling. 

The Grid+ is more of a fan hub and is unable to run autonomously unlike the T-Balancer or the Aquaero 5 LT. But it is still a good product and when paired with software such as CAM (It's Free as well!) it is definitely a good product.

There are currently no reviews on CAM yet, i might download and try it out. I won't exactly say it is a modern T-Balancer however it does have similar features when paired with the CAM software. 

The Aquaero 5 LT is still king in terms of Fan Controller suppose as it's fan curves have so many points which you can customizer. A lot more than just seven offered by the T Balancer. It also has better software and comes with eight sensor slots which you can use. 

All it needs is a heatsink and it's good to go. The T Balancer BigNG only has six sensor slots available without buying any of the other expansions. The T Balancer is pretty much surpassed by Aquaero series since it has no software support. Cost more compared to the LT edition. Has less probes on the device. And worst fan curve gradients. Only reason to use it is because you have it. 

I do agree on your analogy how attaching thermal probes to heatsinks are less accurate.( A Margin which is around a few degrees). But i think there is a place for thermal probes since it gives the user the flexibility to attach it to any component. E.g VRM componenets or Chipset or Hard drive or just to measure the temperature in the case. There is a reason why it is there. And tbh, they aren't that much less accurate. When you place a thermal probe on a heatsink, since the heatsink is a good conductor. It should more or less represent the temperature of the component the heatsink is cooling. 

The Grid+ is more of a fan hub and is unable to run autonomously unlike the T-Balancer or the Aquaero 5 LT. But it is still a good product and when paired with software such as CAM (It's Free as well!) it is definitely a good product.

Lamtron CW611 is a good controller as well!

Lamtron CW611 is a good controller as well!

They are all pretty good i mean. All with reasonable prices and thermal sensing. But there are a few that are better. T-Balancer, Koolance TM205, Aquaero 6 XT are all capable of powering air cooled system with ease but also gives huge support to watercooling. With add in flow meters and current monitors in fans. Very advance.

Yes, agree.

My only concern right now is: since new ASUS mobos have decent automatic fan control in the BIOS and a customizable fan curve via their software, are fan controllers still necessary? I know that extreme builder would like to manage water pumps speed, water flows etc but for the standard (even hardcore) builder, they seem unnecessary to me.

Yes, agree.

My only concern right now is: since new ASUS mobos have decent automatic fan control in the BIOS and a customizable fan curve via their software, are fan controllers still necessary? I know that extreme builder would like to manage water pumps speed, water flows etc but for the standard (even hardcore) builder, they seem unnecessary to me.

TBH, if you're watercooling and wish to add in flow meters, i would personally go with a Fan Controller. And if you want really detailed fan curves with multiple points on a graph, the fan controller is still the way to go. But you are right, the Fan Xpert 3 is a very good fan controller software with three point gradient curves and five thermal probes. You can even run PWM pumps such as the MCP35X or the MCP655 PWM D5 off the motherboard header. But some people still prefer fan controllers for obvious reasons such as more specialized software for fan curves and monitoring current and voltage to fans. Which cannot be found on AI Suite 3's software. I am not sure whether Fan Xpert 3 is autonomous. But if you think about it, Fan Xpert 3 has better software than something like a T-Balancer which mCubed should be ashamed about. A dedicated fan controller has worst drivers and software than a motherboard fan controller feature. Fan Xpert 3 would be fine if you're a bit casual about your fan curves and monitoring. But if you go watercooling or want to go full on hardcore air cooling, i would use a dedicated fan controller. 

Yea, that was my point. I can't speak about ASUS software directly, I don't own an ASUS mobo right now, just heard of it (even on LTT streams).

Only 3 point fan curve? This seems a little too less... are you sure you can't add points?

Can you set fan curve based on CPU or GPU temp or both? Like "if CPU goes over X degress OR GPU goes over Y degress then go at Z & speed"?

The question comes from case fan controlling. It may be "too slow" to control them via internal case temperature.

Sorry for all these questions, you may not even own an ASUS modo but you seem informed :P