Sigh.....wtf Newegg

exyia

So apparently when you order 8 fans and a 1300W platinum power supply, Newegg decides it's a smart idea to USE THE FANS AS PACKING FOR THE PSU...............

like this

wtfnewegg_zps2c6551d3.jpg

IMAG0451_zpsnb1mwgrt.jpg

IMAG0443_zps4utvdq9w.jpg

IMAG0444_zpsswjjligh.jpg

that's the only damage I found so far, but who knows if the bearings on some of them were damaged

I've never in my life seen such IDIOTIC packaging - let alone from Newegg of all places.

My mind is just blown at the stupidity....and now my weekend is ruined - thought I would spend friday putting the system together and the weekend benching.....NOPE. now I get to wait on UPS shipping back and forth just for FANS ffs.....

I mean seriously, who thought "oh let me brace the 1300W psu with these boxes of the fans and ship it across the country"

/endrant

Wow...

That's all I can say.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Maybe first day employee did the package?

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

Maybe first day employee did the package?

Then his supervisor/trainer should have looked at it after he was done and acted accordingly.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Then his supervisor/trainer should have looked at it after he was done and acted accordingly.

It's just bad that they send packages away like that, not good for their reputation at all.

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

That's really not cool, I've ordered tons of stuff from newegg and never got packaging that bad.

Dis track?  Jesus christ why'd we even fight a war?  - Ron Cadillac

Wow. Newegg packed small things in my case with bubble wrap, then packed up the case really nicely. xD

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

That's definitely not how warehouse works, unfortunetly.

I worked in one for a couple of months last summer, there are hundreds of pallets and thousands of boxes everywhere. It's the picker's responsability to place the items in the box in a way that they will be protected. Do you really think that in a gigantic warehouse (such as Newegg's) someone has the time to review the placement of items in every single box? It doesn't matter if it's the employee's first day, in that first day he'll pack dozens of boxes and you just can't afford to have an experienced employee standing beside him all day.

Don't get me wrong I don't think this is acceptable, but it's unavoidable. Lack of judgement by the employee who packed the box, it's possible that he didn't have any experience with hardware and he could have assumed that they were resistant and not fragile. :/

Holy balls but why cant u build your system then add the fans later when they come back?

sorry bro, hope all works out,  :(

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

Holy balls but why cant u build your system then add the fans later when they come back?

Send a complaint and have them pay for shipping. Done~!

I was planning to spend the weekend benching and setting OC's

but now all I can do is just get the PSU in and get it running

it's more the premise that I now have to deal with the whole RMA process

- My time/plans are ruined for the weekend

- My time is wasted dealing with this

- Fans are cheap, but because nobody locally carries these....I'm stuck dealing with an online, distant retailer. I can't just get a refund and buy new ones locally and move on with life....over just ~$40 in fans

- ALL BECAUSE SOMEONE THOUGHT BRACING A 1300W PSU WITH PLASTIC FANS WAS A GOOD IDEA

I can 100% understand damage caused in shipping. UPS is NOT known to handle packages with care. I know this. I've worked in a warehouse shipping environment before. I know what it's like as both a packaging/shipping guy and what it's like dealing with UPS.

But this is 110% Newegg's fault. I just can't wrap my mind around how the idiot employee thought this would be a smart way to package this - you could wrap the whole box in FRAGILE labels and it still would be stupid/unsafe to do this.

And this dumb employee probably gets to enjoy his weekend while I get to spend the next week+ dealing with an RMA process.

I was planning to spend the weekend benching and setting OC's

but now all I can do is just get the PSU in and get it running

it's more the premise that I now have to deal with the whole RMA process

- My time/plans are ruined for the weekend

- My time is wasted dealing with this

- Fans are cheap, but because nobody locally carries these....I'm stuck dealing with an online, distant retailer. I can't just get a refund and buy new ones locally and move on with life....over just ~$40 in fans

- ALL BECAUSE SOMEONE THOUGHT BRACING A 1300W PSU WITH PLASTIC FANS WAS A GOOD IDEA

I can 100% understand damage caused in shipping. UPS is NOT known to handle packages with care. I know this. I've worked in a warehouse shipping environment before. I know what it's like as both a packaging/shipping guy and what it's like dealing with UPS.

But this is 110% Newegg's fault. I just can't wrap my mind around how the idiot employee thought this would be a smart way to package this - you could wrap the whole box in FRAGILE labels and it still would be stupid/unsafe to do this.

And this dumb employee probably gets to enjoy his weekend while I get to spend the next week+ dealing with an RMA process.

Well it could be worse right? At least your house isn't on fire :P

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Damn this makes me worry now since I have 2 PSU's and 14 Noctua fans being shipped for some new builds :/

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

-snip-

Well, considering I was responding to a post that mentioned it was a first time employee/trainee, I think it's perfectly acceptable for him to check the employee's packages if the employee is a noob for a day or so. Just saying. There should be some type of training in this regard. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Damn this makes me worry now since I have 2 PSU's and 14 Noctua fans being shipped for some new builds :/

14 noctua fans?! Sounds expensive...

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Well, considering I was responding to a post that mentioned it was a first time employee/trainee, I think it's perfectly acceptable for him to check the employee's packages if the employee is a noob for a day or so. Just saying. There should be some type of training in this regard. 

but I don't understand how anyone in the world needs training for this......

even if the new employee doesn't have the slightest clue what a PSU is (though I'm sure Newegg of all people would at least require basic understanding for their employees)

said person HAD to have at least picked up the PSU and felt it's weight. who in their right mind would then think - "sure let me brace this heavy box with these flimsy plastic boxes"

Ideally yes, I can't disagree with that. But it doesn't work like that in real life ..

All that matters in these warehouses is time. You have to prepare and wrap as many packages as you can, if you're too slow and can't keep up, you won't last long. It's not hard to understand why it's like that, people want their packages as fast as possible, and it's a rush in every "node" of the delivery "tree". (look at UPS drivers ..)

I don't know if it's like that in Newegg's warehouse, but I bet it is. It was like that in all the warehouses where I worked.

Also, there's the possibility that he did receive appropriate training and that this was just a "brain fart" from the worker who packaged that box. It's not because you work in an electronics warehouse that you know about electronics, and it's not unreasonable to assume that a plastic fan isn't fragile when you have no experience with that. All I'm saying is that crap like that happens because of the nature of the work in the warehouses, and that it's unavoidable. You have a lot more chances of having your package damaged by idiots at UPS/Fedex/whatever. ;)

14 noctua fans?! Sounds expensive...

Yeah $419 before shipping and the 2 Power Supplys are 448$. So if I get the damaged or broken, I'm gonna have a fit with newegg.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Ideally yes, I can't disagree with that. But it doesn't work like that in real life ..

All that matters in these warehouses is time. You have to prepare and wrap as many packages as you can, if you're too slow and can't keep up, you won't last long. It's not hard to understand why it's like that, people want their packages as fast as possible, and it's a rush in every "node" of the delivery "tree". (look at UPS drivers ..)

I don't know if it's like that in Newegg's warehouse, but I bet it is. It was like that in all the warehouses where I worked.

Also, there's the possibility that he did receive appropriate training and that this was just a "brain fart" from the worker who packaged that box. It's not because you work in an electronics warehouse that you know about electronics, and it's not unreasonable to assume that a plastic fan isn't fragile when you have no experience with that. All I'm saying is that crap like that happens because of the nature of the work in the warehouses, and that it's unavoidable. You have a lot more chances of having your package damaged by idiots at UPS/Fedex/whatever. ;)

but ANYONE with basic understanding of packaging would have felt the weight difference - even if said person has 0% clue of what's inside either box

even if they made packaging material empty boxes in the same shape/size/weight, the fact that these boxes were ALSO products on the purchase.....

OH and the box still had at least 6 INCHES OF HEIGHT left in it after the PSU. this was 110% not a "eh, let me make this box work because the next one is so much bigger"

but ANYONE with basic understanding of packaging would have felt the weight difference - even if said person has 0% clue of what's inside either box

even if they made packaging material empty boxes in the same shape/size/weight, the fact that these boxes were ALSO products on the purchase.....

OH and the box still had at least 6 INCHES OF HEIGHT left in it after the PSU. this was 110% not a "eh, let me make this box work because the next one is so much bigger"

True, probably a brain fart or just a combination of rush and lack of common sense.

Anyways, not much you can do except deal with Newegg. All I was trying to do is give another perspective on this, since I worked in similar places I can relate with that.

But eh I don't know how it works in Newegg's warehouses, if this was the result of a single human error or a deeper problem with the way they work, fundamentaly.

True, probably a brain fart or just a combination of rush and lack of common sense.

Anyways, not much you can do except deal with Newegg. All I was trying to do is give another perspective on this, since I worked in similar places I can relate with that.

But eh I don't know how it works in Newegg's warehouses, if this was the result of a single human error or a deeper problem with the way they work, fundamentaly.

I am always an understanding and patient person, especially when it comes to shipping/receiving departments. there are so many variables and parties to deal with, and I used to do it myself.

but this just blows my mind because this is pure stupidity. I can tolerate/understand a "damn, it didn't work", "shucks, thought it would hold up".....but this is just pure stupidity on this employee. You can't "brain fart" this. The 6 inches of empty height in the box, the weight of the PSU that he/she HAD to have lifted/felt, the weight of the fan boxes....I don't believe brain fart at all - this person just lacks any basic thinking to think that supporting a 1300W PSU worth of weight with flimsy boxes of PRODUCT was even an idea, then stack the rest of the height with packaging.

and I'm not saying Newegg as a whole is not worth ordering from - it just blows my mind that Newegg would hire someone this stupid. I would barely pass this off if this was Walmart or some other bottom level department store....but not Newegg.

and I'm not saying Newegg as a whole is not worth ordering from - it just blows my mind that Newegg would hire someone this stupid.

You do realize that "picking" (the people who assemble the commands from individual components are called "pickers") is a minimum-wage job (or so) , very physical (lots of walking), stressful (performance is key, you have to deliver as many commands as possible) and that it doesn't require any form of education? It's not attracting the best of the best.

Also, in a lot of warehouses the employees come from "agencies" (I don't know what they're called in english) and there is no control of their skill level - none is require. If that's of any comfort, the employee who packed your command has good chances of receiving a sanction (warning typically, and they don't give many before they kick you out) since the picker's name is on the pallet.

I would barely pass this off if this was Walmart or some other bottom level department store....but not Newegg.

Lol, are you speaking from experience or just assuming that Walmart has a terrible quality control compared to "Newegg" (for whatever reason?) If I had to guess which is better, I'd say that Walmart has a tougher quality control and more training in their warehouses. Just look at the way it works in the stores, with strict rules and a lot of forms of control.

Note Again, I'm speaking from experience, from what I've seen in three different warehouses (and it wasn't random crappy companies). Newegg could have a much better quality control and working environment than what I've seen in other places, and I can be totally wrong. ;)

"picking" 

"agencies"

picker's

Lol, are you speaking from experience or just assuming that Walmart has a terrible quality control compared to "Newegg" (for whatever reason?) If I had to guess which is better, I'd say that Walmart has a tougher quality control and more training in their warehouses. Just look at the way it works in the stores, with strict rules and a lot of forms of control.

Note Again, I'm speaking from experience, from what I've seen in three different warehouses (and it wasn't random crappy companies). Newegg could have a much better quality control and working environment than what I've seen in other places, and I can be totally wrong. ;)

"Packing"

"Unions" or "Temp Agencies" or "Employment Agencies"

"Packers"

Yes, Walmart has very high quality control on their packages. They are very strict. I learned this from my supervisor who worked there for some time talks about it regularly.

† Christian Member †