Single Front USB 3.0 Not Recognizing 3.0 Devices

Go to solution Solved by fancymans,

Yeah, I already tried reinstalling drivers many times. Anyways, I found out what was wrong. The front panel ports themselves are defective. Some of them only work when plugging in the USB in  very, very slowly. I'll contact Fractal to see if they can send me a new front panel. Thanks for helping out. :)

Hi guys,

I just finished my first build about 2 days ago. I just noticed that one of the two front USB 3.0 ports on my Fractal Design R4 case does not recognize USB 3.0 devices. The devices are able to get power, but Windows 8.1 does not see any drives connected. I've tested this on a Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 flash drive and a WD Passport. Both of these devices are formatted to be in ExFat.

When plugging in a USB 2.0 flash drive in the same port, Windows recognizes it immediately. I am extremely confused on why it is acting this way.

The other USB 3.0 port works just fine.

My build:

Case - Fractal Design R4 

Mobo - ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MK1

CPU - Intel Core i7 4790 3.6GHz

GPU - EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked w/ ACX cooler 3GB DDR5

RAM - 8GB x2 GSkill Sniper Series 1866MHz DDR3

CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U14S

SSD - PNY XLR8 240GB

ODD - LG Bluray

PSU - CM V850

Here are some things I already attempted:

• Restarting (lol it was worth a shot)
  • Update USB drivers with ones from the mobo page
  • post-84568-0-60538100-1402050430.png
  • Reformatting my USB 3.0 flash drive
  • Reset to everything to default in UEFI
  • Update UEFI
  • Taking out the USB 3.0 front panel wire and plugging it back in

I think the wire itself might be faulty but I wanted to see if anyone knew how to solve my problem before I ask Fractal to RMA my case (in which case I really hope they can just send me a new wire because I don't want to take everything out...).  :(

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

You need to install the USB 3 drivers, you can find them on your motherboard's manufacturer website.

Or it's just a broken wire or something.

Here are some things I already attempted:

• Update USB drivers with ones from the mobo page
  • Taking out the USB 3.0 front panel wire and plugging it back in

You need to install the USB 3 drivers, you can find them on your motherboard's manufacturer website.

Or it's just a broken wire or something.

I think if it were either of those two issues, he'd have solved it by now.

On the other hand, make sure that the connectors (both on the mobo and the lead from the front panel) are undamaged.  A loose/bent pin could be the culprit.

Yeah, I already tried reinstalling drivers many times. Anyways, I found out what was wrong. The front panel ports themselves are defective. Some of them only work when plugging in the USB in  very, very slowly. I'll contact Fractal to see if they can send me a new front panel. Thanks for helping out. :)

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I think I'm having the same issue. Did you get this resolved? If so, how? Thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I think I'm having the same issue. Did you get this resolved? If so, how? Thanks in advance!

Hi, sorry for the super late response but yes. I contacted Fractal via email since their phone number wasn't working for whatever reason. Anyways... they asked me for my case SN and sent me replacement front USB promptly. They work great now. :)