Setting tempreture for 290x

fringie

Hi,

I just got my 290x so I was testing it and deemed it was too noisy for my liking so I decided to underclock it (I'll tweak it to see what's best later (working from the bottom up)). I noticed that when I stress tested the card with the maximum underclock it would allow me it was sitting at 71 degrees but I'd like it to be at 85/90 when gaming which should hopefully mean I get less noise and a less heavy mhz underclock.

The problem is, I don't see a temperature range, suggestions?

29d8k0i.png

oh no, dont underclock it. Get a utility like MSI Afterburner and set a custom fan profile to your liking. it's a line graph, very easy.

oh no, dont underclock it. Get a utility like MSI Afterburner and set a custom fan profile to your liking. it's a line graph, very easy.

I'm only gaming on one 1080p monitor so I don't need the full 290x's power (originally I was hoping to underclock it and get reference 290x performance with whisper quiet sounds). If I can't find it, I'll set the fan curve.

did you buy a reference 290x?

Nope, the Asus Direct cu ii one. I was originally planning on just setting it to silent mode but I couldn't find the tab to switch it to silent mode.

I'm only gaming on one 1080p monitor so I don't need the full 290x's power (originally I was hoping to underclock it and get reference 290x performance with whisper quiet sounds). If I can't find it, I'll set the fan curve.

Nope, the Asus Direct cu ii one. I was originally planning on just setting it to silent mode but I couldn't find the tab to switch it to silent mode.

youre going to want all of that power for 1080p lol. that asus card can be very quiet at overclocked speeds, don't waste it :P

youre going to want all of that power for 1080p lol. that asus card can be very quiet at overclocked speeds, don't waste it :P

This card is meant for resolutions above 1080p. Every game that I know of (apart from Crysis 3 and possibly Arma 3) the 290x can have a steady 60+ FPS for. I'm pretty sure BF4 is 100+ fps lol.

Well, at stock running Unigine the card is fairly loud after running 15 mins of the bench mark (45+ db easily).

Ontopic: Anyone got any advise/suggestions on how to resolve my issue?

This card is meant for resolutions above 1080p. Every game that I know of (apart from Crysis 3 and possibly Arma 3) the 290x can have a steady 60+ FPS for. I'm pretty sure BF4 is 100+ fps lol.

Well, at stock running Unigine the card is fairly loud after running 15 mins of the bench mark (45+ db easily).

Ontopic: Anyone got any advise/suggestions on how to resolve my issue?

You havent just turned the fan speed down yet? Ill go find the link for you dude, this is the best way to shut that card up. http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

You havent just turned the fan speed down yet? Ill go find the link for you dude, this is the best way to shut that card up. http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

I have not, if I can set it's temp range I should have no problems. I've already used msi afterburner before. I know how to set a fan speed up but I'd like it be self managed hence the temperature target + if need be a slight underclock.