Laser vs Inkjet printer

I am looking into purchasing a new printer. I currently have a HP all in one inkjet printer, but it goes through ink like crazy. I am considering getting a laser printer, we use them at work and the cartridges last far longer (I understand that commercial printers will have more ink than consumer models). I am really wanting to know others oppinions. Is the higher cost of laser printers and their ink worth it over inkjet, for home use, if all you print is black and white documents? The few items that need to be printed in color can be taken to a print service.

Do you want a colour laser printer? If that is so, stay away. When you have to replace the 4 cartridges, it costs more than a new printer. We used a colour laser at work and it went through the toner in about 2 months. 

However, for black and white, lasers are worth it. Especially considering the speed. Black toner also lasts for a while and it's not prohibitively expensive.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Do you want a colour laser printer? If that is so, stay away. When you have to replace the 4 cartridges, it costs more than a new printer. We used a colour laser at work and it went through the toner in about 2 months. 

However, for black and white, lasers are worth it. Especially considering the speed. Black toner also lasts for a while and it's not prohibitively expensive.

Our family has an HP laserjet CP1525n. It is generally very good. Yes the toner is expensive as hell, but you can get 3rd party cartridges. We now have our third set of cartridges. First were the OEM HP ones. No problems whatsoever and always good results. Second set were relatively cheap, but had to be exchanged halfway through because one of them leaked and the other ones had a color alignment issue that was not fixable using calibration or cleaning functions. The mess was huge and cleaning the printer took hours. The third set now were third party but for around twice the money of the previous. They are very good so far.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz