Learning to program C "the hard way" - a unique way I am going to try for my unique brain

jaqiefox

you have a good point saying that at the end of the day it's almost the same as a lesson at school/uni

i don't know, i'm more used to reading things when i want to have a real knowledge about the thing, especially when the thing can be hard to understand so i have to read it again over and over and think about it taking my time, while videos may be good for having a general understanding of the subject, but i don't think they give you the time to understand, to learn

Well for me the process of pausing and doing the video instructions and generally listening to a person's advice is faster. If I need visual reference they would have it step by step within the video. In my opinion these videos shave time and waste little on needless technical jargon. In other words it's easier and faster but not necessarily extensive. Going back to what you said about trying to understand a difficult subject it would be best to take it in the easiest way possible. If you want more you can go get it elsewhere however I think you'd save time and effort by taking the intermediate and easier step of watching something like a simple video. Of course if the video itself isn't your style and actually makes it more difficult than you should stick to what works for you. The real thing I'm getting at is that certain methods are easier for people to achieve the same end goal and that doesn't necessarily make it the final say. In thenewboston he skips a bit on the technical jargon that I actually enjoy listening to thus I supplement it. However the rapidity and ease of his videos is more efficient.

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

flame? i'm here to express my opinion and to argue about yours

you called my post worthless, my ideas screwed up and acted like i was the last of the noobs, then you moved on to put me on the ignore list, talking of me indirectly like kids

you are coherent at least: your actions reflect your thoughts, and your thoughts are close-minded

your thoughts can't change direction because you like bits so much, that your thoughts travel on binaries

*badum tss*

Really well put :D My thought exactly when reading her responses. Well some people think they are so different than others (usually smarter) only to later find out how much they are the same as the average...

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

You said you have a unique way of learning or perhaps it is the teacher. There's a Youtuber named thenewboston he has videos detailing various languages and programs from C++ to Adobe After Effects. He has videos on both C and C++.

I'm sure you can find each of these yourself but I thought it might be more pleasant if I just listed them all.

Here is his tutorial on C++: 

His tutorial on C: 

As well as his channel" https://www.youtube.com/user/thenewboston

Thank you very much!  My internet is too slow for youtube or any videos right now (and until I move at least)... I hope to change that, but until then I have to stick to the old ways.

3480670108.png

This is pretty much indicative of my 'net.

I am a female pc hardware expert and enthusiast, over 170 IQ, been in the tech scene since the 80s. get over it.  This message brought to you by me being tired of people which have problems with any of those things.   ~Jaqie Fox

-=|Fighting computer ignorance since 1995|=-

Go with C++, it's the parent for both java and c#. Nearly identical syntax and similar object model. I would forget C, it has no oop and is a dinosaur. C# or Java or C++, c++ doesn't cross platform though but c++ programs run faster.

. . . . c++ programs run faster.

Here we go again, this bull. :rolleyes: :wacko:

I am a female pc hardware expert and enthusiast, over 170 IQ, been in the tech scene since the 80s. get over it.  This message brought to you by me being tired of people which have problems with any of those things.   ~Jaqie Fox

can you explain to us how is it that you still have to learn C, but you're the biggest expert about it already?

can you explain to us how is it that you still have to learn C, but you're the biggest expert about it already?

Sure, I'll feed the troll.

You don't have to know how to build cars to know when you are driving a crappy one.

Sure, I'll feed the troll.

You don't have to know how to build cars to know when you are driving a crappy one.

but you have to drive it first

but you have to drive it first

Exactly! thanks for proving my point for me. I have been "driving" (using) software since the 80s.  I can tell an efficient program from an inefficient one.  I also have been a hardware tech since that time too.  After enough time anyone with enough smarts can tell a good programming language from a bad one by sheer experience with using programs made from them.

And thus your point is invalidated by your own arguments.   Thanks. :)

Done feeding the troll now.  You've proven yourself yet again to be talking nothing.

Exactly! thanks for proving my point for me. I have been "driving" (using) software since the 80s.  I can tell an efficient program from an inefficient one.  I also have been a hardware tech since that time too.  After enough time anyone with enough smarts can tell a good programming language from a bad one by sheer experience with using programs made from them.

And thus your point is invalidated by your own arguments.   Thanks. :)

Done feeding the troll now.  You've proven yourself yet again to be talking nothing.

So much stupid in 1 post.

efficient programming makes programms efficient, not the selction of programming language.

efficient programming is mainly math.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

efficient programming makes programms efficient, not the selction of programming language.

efficient programming is mainly math.

Exactly!  I think several people here are intentionally or unintentionally misinterpreting my posts.

Exactly!  I think several people here are intentionally or unintentionally misinterpreting my posts.

you misinterpreted his:

'efficient programming' = 'writing good code' = 'making good use of math (as well as the language features)'

'selection of programming language' = 'which language you use'

the former makes programs efficient

the latter doesn't (not as much as the former)

now i seriously wonder who is the troll here between me and you

you misinterpreted his:

'efficient programming' = 'writing good code' = 'making good use of math (as well as the language features)'

'selection of programming language' = 'which language you use'

the former makes programs efficient

the latter doesn't (not as much as the former)

now i seriously wonder who is the troll here between me and you

Ooh more (intentional) misinterpretation and accusatory and inflammatory remarks!  Without punctuation, no less!

Lesee here, where to start?

It has been documented many times by many people that java, the only language I have said is poor in this regard, is.  I then go on to agree with a poster that good programming practices make the difference between what another poster said was faster, C versus C++ (and several other ones, implied).

It has been shown by now that if something said here can be misinterpreted you will do such.  Pot and kettle, anyone?

wrote the author, also found oreily archive of *SOME* of the files that were on the CD... hoping the author is kind enough to take the trouble to point me at a URL containing an ISO or something...

YAY! he wrote back with a link to all the stuff in the CD except the PDF version of the book (which I dont want anyway)!

Hooray for awesome people!  Now just to wait for the book to arrive.

It has been documented many times by many people that java, the only language I have said is poor in this regard, is.

post your sources please, because what you say is not reliable

the efficiency of java is still an open debate, you can find extensive discussions that tend to say that java is fast, as well as discussions that in conclusion state that it's slow

http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/110634/why-would-it-ever-be-possible-for-java-to-be-faster-than-c?rq=1

http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/368/why-do-people-still-say-java-is-slow

results vary from case to case, from situation to situation

if you think you have the ultimate answer, you're wrong. it's as easy as that

the fact that you can't see further than the end of your nose really bores me, and is turning this discussion into a mere 'saying the same things over and over', hopefully you'll start to collaborate

by the way, being a 14yo boy ain't no crime, and pretending to be an experienced woman doesn't really help with anything, so you could quit that role-play if that's what's going on, and it would only help

thank you

Hold up, what? Here we go again? Bull? How Rude! If you have the equivalent program using Java and C# they incur overheads due to the runtime systems making C++ faster.

• 3 weeks later...

After enough time anyone with enough smarts can tell a good programming language from a bad one by sheer experience with using programs made from them.

This is the dumbest statement I have read today. So just because a program is written poorly, then the language is to blame, not the programmer or the API it utilizes. Also, there is no way to tell the language that the program was written in without the source code. It's all binary without it.

I can tell an efficient program from an inefficient one.  

I can do that too. In fact, anyone can do that by running and testing the programs. But if you are referring to source code, then I can tell you that you won't always be correct, or maybe even impossible to decide, without testing.

I had a good laugh at this thread. I think OP has some kind of god complex. Your inability to consider other's opinions, and erroneously claiming to have "successfully argued" against their opinion when you clearly lack knowledge in the matter is what stops you from understanding new concepts, not your "unique brain".

I can also spot that it is pointless to argue with you.

My advice to you is this: gain some humility.

Want to solve problems? Check this out.