Closed Loop CPU Cooling in Define R4

Hi all,

I'm planning on water-cooling my i7-2600, which I am planning on upgrading to a 3770k (Not much of a difference, but would nice to overclock).

At the moment I have a 2600 and a 770SC ACX in a Zalman Z11 Plus, but it has poor cable management opportunities and I cannot mount a radiator any where without heavy, ugly modding to an already ugly case.

I was really hoping to get a full tower case, but they are too large for where i want it to sit. So I thought the best mid tower case would be a Define R4.

My question is; Can I mount any kind of closed loop CPU cooler in the Define R4? Btw, I'm using a P8Z77-LX2 motherboard. I don't know whether this will have any kind of bearing on the rads I can get, but just thought I'd let you know.

If not, are there any other better mid tower cases for mounting a radiator?

- Thanks

Hi all,

I'm planning on water-cooling my i7-2600, which I am planning on upgrading to a 3770k (Not much of a difference, but would nice to overclock).

At the moment I have a 2600 and a 770SC ACX in a Zalman Z11 Plus, but it has poor cable management opportunities and I cannot mount a radiator any where without heavy, ugly modding to an already ugly case.

I was really hoping to get a full tower case, but they are too large for where i want it to sit. So I thought the best mid tower case would be a Define R4.

My question is; Can I mount any kind of closed loop CPU cooler in the Define R4? Btw, I'm using a P8Z77-LX2 motherboard. I don't know whether this will have any kind of bearing on the rads I can get, but just thought I'd let you know.

If not, are there any other better mid tower cases for mounting a radiator?

- Thanks

Should be able to put a h100i in the top i think. 

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

I have an H220 in the top of mine and it touches one of my motherboards vrm heatsinks; absolutely no room for 280mm. Your 240mm AIO will be offset mounted in the top so it doesn't interfere with your motherboard.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

200r is another good option for mounting radiators, lots of space, but it doesnt have a window :(. Also as far as I know r4 is perfect for AIO's. 

My Little Gaming Rig:

CPU: FX 8320 | MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-D3P | RAM: G.Skill Ares 2x4GB | GPU: Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X | Storage: Seagate SSHD 1TB | Case: Corsair 200R | PSU: CM 550W V-Series

Upgrades to come: CPU FAN: Corsair H100i | RAM: 2 more 4GB sticks | GPU: Another R9 270X running in crossfire | Storage: Samsung 120GB SSD | PSU: Corsair 800w

You could get an H100i or H220 in the top or front. The best you could do is to get a dual 140mm rad in the font.

Placing the Rad at the front of the case would mean Im blocking incoming air. I am not planning on cooling my GPU, so I am still gonna need some air coming in.

I have an H220 in the top of mine and it touches one of my motherboards vrm heatsinks; absolutely no room for 280mm. Your 240mm AIO will be offset mounted in the top so it doesn't interfere with your motherboard.

This is what I have seen, when ever I see a build with the rad mounted at the top it looks like it impedes slightly on the mobo. but, like you said, I cant offset the rad and aslong as the VRM heatsinks arnt taller than the rear I/O ports i should be good.

One other thing, if I offset the rad, will that get in the way of any 3.5inch optical drives? I use two (totes overkill, one is read only bluray, the other is read/write DVD).

Placing the Rad at the front of the case would mean Im blocking incoming air. I am not planning on cooling my GPU, so I am still gonna need some air coming in.

This is what I have seen, when ever I see a build with the rad mounted at the top it looks like it impedes slightly on the mobo. but, like you said, I cant offset the rad and aslong as the VRM heatsinks arnt taller than the rear I/O ports i should be good.

One other thing, if I offset the rad, will that get in the way of any 3.5inch optical drives? I use two (totes overkill, one is read only bluray, the other is read/write DVD).

You could use the front as exhaust and the top as intake. What do you mean by blocking? Air still comes in through it.

The rad does sit right in front of the opening, but I just looked into my case and it doesn't look like it should be an issue.

IMG_20140409_203856.jpg

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

You could use the front as exhaust and the top as intake. What do you mean by blocking? Air still comes in through it.

Right, I am totally new to water cooling and now you come to mention it the rad has fans on it so it must intake/outtake air.

The rad does sit right in front of the opening, but I just looked into my case and it doesn't look like it should be an issue.

IMG_20140409_203856.jpg

Excellent, just what I needed to see. Lovely build btw. But what cooler are you using? (EDIT) Dont worry, Swiftech H220. ​Saw it in your signature.

Thanks for your help guys.

Keep any replies coming in though, I would love to hear your experience as this will be my first time trying to water-cool something.

My buddy is using an h100i in his, and it fits, but just barely. Again, same deal with the motherboard heatsinks and ram placement. 

Worse comes to worse... a drill is all you need. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

After looking into it a little more, I don't know how comfortable I am about purchasing anything yet. Would it be possible to mount the same size rad or smaller in the front of the case where the removal hard drive cages are instead of mounting the rad above the mobo.

After looking into it a little more, I don't know how comfortable I am about purchasing anything yet. Would it be possible to mount the same size rad or smaller in the front of the case where the removal hard drive cages are instead of mounting the rad above the mobo.

I'm told by my friend that front mounting would be way easier. 

video from fractal showing how to install front radiator.

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Awesome stuff, will it be possible to mount a fan on to the top of the rad too