Question about The Order 1866's resolution

ShogunZ

So the game has an aspect ratio of 2.40:1. Meaning there's black bars on top and bottom. Now that's 1920 x 800 displaying the game, but I read the pixel density is still 1920 x 1080.

My question is; Does this affect its graphics? Would the amount of power needed for a full 1920 x 1080 display be more?

At first I thought they were using this ''movie style look'' as an excuse to make the game look fancier without losing frames. I'm not so sure now. It's basically not using any 280 pixels or only displaying black ones at that.

the-order-1886_comparison.jpg?57efa4

Only displaying black ones.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I've had some flack from Sony die hard evangelists for pointing this out - but it very much is a cheap/clever trick for lowering the resolution while maintaining the same pixel density as true 1920x1080p.

I admire it as it is clever - you have all the pixel density of 1920x1080p, just on a smaller area of the screen. Win win. Wish they'd be more honest about it though. 

Their publicity is pure bullshit. "Oh yeah we could have had the same graphics without the letter box - it's for cinematics. We could have gone 60fps, but that didn't look as cinematic". 

The simple fact is - if they had gone full screen and 60fps the level of graphical fidelity would be lower. Otherwise they are arguing that they are deliberately leaving PS4 resource untapped and not making the game look as good as it could, which no developer would ever do. 

Expect to see a lot of other developers leveraging the same shenanigans, and insisting just as vehemently that it's all about their "cinematic vision" (which also happens to include a low frame rate - you know - for cinematic reasons).

I've had some flack from Sony die hard evangelists for pointing this out - but it very much is a cheap/clever trick for lowering the resolution while maintaining the same pixel density as true 1920x1080p.

I admire it as it is clever - you have all the pixel density of 1920x1080p, just on a smaller area of the screen. Win win. Wish they'd be more honest about it though. 

Their publicity is pure bullshit. "Oh yeah we could have had the same graphics without the letter box - it's for cinematics. We could have gone 60fps, but that didn't look as cinematic". 

The simple fact is - if they had gone full screen and 60fps the level of graphical fidelity would be lower. Otherwise they are arguing that they are deliberately leaving PS4 resource untapped and not making the game look as good as it could, which no developer would ever do. 

Expect to see a lot of other developers leveraging the same shenanigans, and insisting just as vehemently that it's all about their "cinematic vision" (which also happens to include a low frame rate - you know - for cinematic reasons).

Hehe it very much is either cheap or clever depending on where you stand on the framing :P

Personally though I would prefer 1920x800 over anything thing else being scaled up. Having the pixels match the monitor (if we talking 1080p) can help the image quality a decent amount.

From what I remember, one of the reasons they went with this res is so they could go with 4xMSAA rather than rely on FXAA or another software solution, if this holds true we will have to wait and see.

I will agree with you on the 24 fps and having games close to that for a cinematic feel is utter arse :P. The frame rate is only that low for movies because it was the lowest (cheapest) frame rate where the the motion on screen looked natural. It doesn't require feedback from the person enjoying it while games do which is why 30 fps is considered the min. I will disagree on the points made that the wider ratio is cinematic wank though :P. There are visual mathematical reasons why films have certain ratios which is all based on golden ratios and rules of thirds with how you block out a frame with the subjects. These lead to why movies can have that epic feel.

• 3 weeks later...

From what I remember, one of the reasons they went with this res is so they could go with 4xMSAA rather than rely on FXAA 

If that is true they are the dumbest developers on the planet. MSAA is one of the heaviest and most resource hungry forms of aa available, no wonder they can't achieve 1080p 60fps. Anyone who knows what he's talking about would prefer 1080p 60fps as opposed to aa every time. Aa is basically fake resolution, why you would prefer that over real resolution and higher framerates is beyond me.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

If that is true they are the dumbest developers on the planet. MSAA is one of the heaviest and most resource hungry forms of aa available, no wonder they can't achieve 1080p 60fps. Anyone who knows what he's talking about would prefer 1080p 60fps as opposed to aa every time. Aa is basically fake resolution, why you would prefer that over real resolution and higher framerates is beyond me.

Yep, they are just putting image quality above all else it seems. Snaps to them for sticking to their guns with how they want the game to look, just hope its worth it and that the game it self is actually enjoyable.