Ddr3 servers and game server

Racters

Was wondering if there is any use in using an old ddr3 server as a game server for modern games.

I think I heard something about newer software having a newer instruction set or something. Is ddr3 fast enough for a game server? Ild like to take advantage of cheap ecc ram. Im not at home and don't remember which cpus are in the thing but I think it supports up to 256 gb capacity.

I'm looking to run Ark ascended. Along with some discord music bots and a gsm as well. 

What server? The ddr3 doesn't really tell that much, and the model of server or the CPUs used matter much more.

Whats the price of this server?

Often game servers like faster cores, so something like a desktop class CPU will run the server faster and use much less power typically.

Just now, da na said:

DDR3 is more than fast enough for a server like that. CPU is much more of a concern, but any Xeon E5-series will have the instruction set and DDR3 ECC support you need.

Thank you. Looks like I've got a project to tackle. 

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What server? The ddr3 doesn't really tell that much, and the model of server or the CPUs used matter much more.

Whats the price of this server?

Often game servers like faster cores, so something like a desktop class CPU will run the server faster and use much less power typically.

So I got lucky and found it in my search history.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/servicetag/0-TG44RFlETnR3dmphQ20yczFyMStFZz090/overview

Is the link to spec page. I picked up some old hardware from an auction site for what I think is a steal $65. But the ram and drives were pulled as well. It has two Intel Xeons E5620 in it.

Just now, Racters said:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/servicetag/0-TG44RFlETnR3dmphQ20yczFyMStFZz090/overview

Is the link to spec page. I picked up some old hardware from an auction site for what I think is a steal $65. But the ram and drives were pulled as well. It has two Intel Xeons E5620 in it.

Also picked up some of these as well but the CPU only supports 64 gigs of ddr4. Would be it better to run at the reduced capacity for faster speeds?

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/servicetag/0-NEhKYmRMY1N6TGJrNzJEOUwvMWUzdz090/overview

Just now, Racters said:

The E5000 chips are from the 1st-2nd gen Core architecture, honestly for $65 that's not all too great if it doesn't have RAM or drives. 

1 minute ago, Racters said:

Also picked up some of these as well but the CPU only supports 64 gigs of ddr4. Would be it better to run at the reduced capacity for faster speeds?

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/servicetag/0-NEhKYmRMY1N6TGJrNzJEOUwvMWUzdz090/overview

...well if you have the newer servers, those will be better at their job as well as more power-efficient, so there's no reason to run the first one you posted. You will not need that full 64GB of RAM, trust me, probably 16GB would be just fine.

Do you have this system already? Those systems are getting to the point that there too old to get now in my option, but if you have it go for it.

Get the ddr3 ecc ram, its cheap these days.

But a n100 mini pc will pull likely 1/10th of the power, have double the single threaded speed, and cost much less when power costs are added in, so I don't really see a point of these old systems for most use cases.

64gb is probably more than enough ram for these uses. The annoying part is the only use udimm ecc, so that costs a good amount more typically. Your alsom limited to quad core chips. but I'd take a r330 over a r710 typically.

I'd look for a used office desktop if you can find one cheap. Probably a better pick for these uses.

Alright does the 4 core vs 6 core make much difference. The reason I would like to go with the ddr3 is the memory price and I want to host multiple instances of the game server to run a "cluster" of different maps. In my experience each of these instances are using about 12.5 gb without users. 

48 minutes ago, Racters said:

each cpu needs to have its own ram , and ideally sets of 3  sticks of registered ddr3 ... as it runs at relatively low frequencies (2.4ghz)... it's not ideal for game servers. also dual cpu socket is not ideal unless you run multiple game servers and configure each server to stay on its own cpu  ... if a server has threads across both cpus, you'll end up with some ram transfers being slower because the data would have to be transferred between cpu sockets  if the threads are on different cpus.

performance is kinda bad, each ppu scores around 3500 points, my old fx-8320 scores 5500 and a single fx-6300 scores 4200

it's not worth it due to power consumption.

3 hours ago, Racters said:

Alright does the 4 core vs 6 core make much difference. The reason I would like to go with the ddr3 is the memory price and I want to host multiple instances of the game server to run a "cluster" of different maps. In my experience each of these instances are using about 12.5 gb without users. 

You can't really compare cores between generations. The newer systems can do much more with each core.

DDR3 isn't all the same. The r710 and the r330 use different ram. How much total ram do you need?

Do you have a total budget in mind? Do you care about power usage.