Samsung 990 Pro vs 980 Pro

Zech49
Go to solution Solved by porina,

The 990 Pro and 980 Pro are high end SSDs and with intensive usage you can feel the difference between them an lower tier SSDs. But the difference between each isn't that great. I used a 980 Pro in my last main system and have a 990 Pro in my latest gaming system. As such you can get the cheaper of the two.

10 minutes ago, Zech49 said:

Mainly for putting games especially 4X/RTS.

Then there is this part. For a game drive you don't need the highest performance. A good mid range SSD will be a lot cheaper and do almost as well in practice.

5 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

also the 980 pro is outdated garbage dont bother with that thing, itll be slower than newer cheaper gen4 drives

It was a high end SSD in its day and it is no slouch today. Maybe it isn't the fastest in sequential, but it still has decent IOPS where lower tier SSDs can fall behind.

id avoid samsung due to how overpriced they are

I went 990 Pro for my latest build not because it was my 1st choice, but it was the cheapest available high end SSD at the time. Make sure you are comparing same performance class, sequential and IOPS. The mid range is great value but there is still a difference.

Hello guys, been a while since I used this web.

Just wanna ask, I want to buy a new 2tb NVME SSD and hesitated between both of them since they have a difference of 50$ (800k Rupiah). For other brand in the same year bracket it only have 1-5ish$ so it not much and I already use a Samsung SSD.

Is 50$ worth it for future proofing or should I save that 50$? Mainly for putting games especially 4X/RTS.

My apologies if there’s a same topic but I wanna ask in my word :)

3 minutes ago, Zech49 said:

Hello guys, been a while since I used this web.

Just wanna ask, I want to buy a new 2tb NVME SSD and hesitated between both of them since they have a difference of 50$ (800k Rupiah). For other brand in the same year bracket it only have 1-5ish$ so it not much and I already use a Samsung SSD.

Is 50$ worth it for future proofing or should I save that 50$? Mainly for putting games especially 4X/RTS.

My apologies if there’s a same topic but I wanna ask in my word 🙂

Honestly you could go for a much cheaper SSD again and not feel any difference, samsung drives are always quite a bit more costly than the competitors offerings

A quick example

image.png.329a48a8736bcf13748f8d2cf283727c.png

There might be a few milliseconds to maybe a second or so of difference in load times between the 990 Pro and the UD90, but for almost half the price, UD90 is very much the price-performance pick

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem, max OC]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

do you need the high speed? if you do then dont bother with a slow ass overpriced 990 pro and get yourself a gen5 like the crucial t700 which obliterates the 990 pro then theres the even faster t705

also the 980 pro is outdated garbage dont bother with that thing, itll be slower than newer cheaper gen4 drives

Just now, TatamiMatt said:

Honestly you could go for a much cheaper SSD again and not feel any difference, samsung drives are always quite a bit more costly than the competitors offerings

^^^

besides gen4 is a waste of money as most ppl dont need it and youd really only get em if they arent much more than a gen3 drive

there should be 2tb gen3 nvmes for less than 2jt ill go check

I have 990 Pro and first interestin such price difference, though if you are not hammering your drive you will be fine with even cheaper. Though all are cheap nowdays. Just depends what you need.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

The 990 Pro and 980 Pro are high end SSDs and with intensive usage you can feel the difference between them an lower tier SSDs. But the difference between each isn't that great. I used a 980 Pro in my last main system and have a 990 Pro in my latest gaming system. As such you can get the cheaper of the two.

10 minutes ago, Zech49 said:

Mainly for putting games especially 4X/RTS.

Then there is this part. For a game drive you don't need the highest performance. A good mid range SSD will be a lot cheaper and do almost as well in practice.

It was a high end SSD in its day and it is no slouch today. Maybe it isn't the fastest in sequential, but it still has decent IOPS where lower tier SSDs can fall behind.

I went 990 Pro for my latest build not because it was my 1st choice, but it was the cheapest available high end SSD at the time. Make sure you are comparing same performance class, sequential and IOPS. The mid range is great value but there is still a difference.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

11 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

A quick example

image.png.329a48a8736bcf13748f8d2cf283727c.png

There might be a few milliseconds to maybe a second or so of difference in load times between the 990 Pro and the UD90, but for almost half the price, UD90 is very much the price-performance pick

Sadly I couldn’t found a 2TB UD90 but I’ll keep my heads up for it in the future.

6 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

do you need the high speed? if you do then dont bother with a slow ass overpriced 990 pro and get yourself a gen5 like the crucial t700 which obliterates the 990 pro then theres the even faster t705

^^^

besides gen4 is a waste of money as most ppl dont need it and youd really only get em if they arent much more than a gen3 drive

there should be 2tb gen3 nvmes for less than 2jt ill go check

Already have 2 Samsung (both 1tb) and I’m one of those people that like using only 1 brand for something specific so I’m stuck with Samsung lmao (tbf I don’t really need the high speed just for a peace of mind kinda thing)

5 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

I have 990 Pro and first interestin such price difference, though if you are not hammering your drive you will be fine with even cheaper. Though all are cheap nowdays. Just depends what you need.

Was surprised myself seeing that difference, Imma go with 980 then.

Thank you everyone!

1 minute ago, porina said:

Snip

Sorry for snipping, I also use 990 pro (found it cheap last year for 120$) as a window and media storage and so far kinda fun.

And yeah I decide to go with 980 since the difference is kinda huge at least in my local currency.

13 minutes ago, porina said:

Oh absolutely, if its the cheapest or even sort of close, its great SSD, its just not often the cheapest

13 minutes ago, Zech49 said:

Sadly I couldn’t found a 2TB UD90 but I’ll keep my heads up for it in the future.

UD90 isnt bad, but there are lots of other options, i just used that one as an example, but depending on the price the 980 pro could be a better deal than a lot of other SSDs, so when i said samsung are more expensive, i mean moreso as a general rule, if its relatively cheap compared to other SSDs its a very good SSD

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem, max OC]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

19 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Oh absolutely, if its the cheapest or even sort of close, its great SSD, its just not often the cheapest

For sure it isn't cheap in absolute terms, but it was at the time I got it cheap for a top end drive. I often wonder when to go top end, vs something more mid range and a lot cheaper. In this case, as it was an OS drive, I was willing to go high end. For game storage drives I care more about capacity/price than top performance. I'm still using some old SATA 1TB drives for that.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

42 minutes ago, Zech49 said:

Was surprised myself seeing that difference, Imma go with 980 then.

Yeah just update the firmware and you're good.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

47 minutes ago, Zech49 said:

Already have 2 Samsung (both 1tb) and I’m one of those people that like using only 1 brand for something specific so I’m stuck with Samsung lmao (tbf I don’t really need the high speed just for a peace of mind kinda thing)

welp a 970 evo would be better assuming its significantly cheaper, though still overpriced when i can find 1tb dram gen3 for like 750rb (as2280p4u)

1 hour ago, porina said:

pretty sure an equivalent priced or outright cheaper ssd can still outpace it depending on the model, tech does advance overtime after all

1 hour ago, porina said:

I went 990 Pro for my latest build not because it was my 1st choice, but it was the cheapest available high end SSD at the time. Make sure you are comparing same performance class, sequential and IOPS. The mid range is great value but there is still a difference

fair enough if its a good deal, only reason id avoid samsung is because of how overpriced they are most of the time but if its a good deal then go for it

the ssds themselves are quite performant just the price can kill their value when compared to a cheaper ssd or an outright faster gen5 like the t700 that usually wont be that much more than the 990 pro, i mean 990 pro is usually a good bit more expensive than other gen4s so if you are gonna spend on it and see rather mild gains might aswell go all the way and get a t700 or some other gen5 for some real gains

oh and i keep forgetting the 970 evo exists, maybe i shouldnt be bashing the 980 pro too much when the 970 evo is a whole other level of outdated and overpriced =p

pretty sure an equivalent priced or outright cheaper ssd can still outpace it depending on the model, tech does advance overtime after all

Price is the thing. It isn't static and varies a lot with time and region. Last time I looked at high end 5.0 SSDs they are still way more expensive than high end 4.0 ones. Lower performing 5.0 ones are worse than a good 4.0 in many ways other than peak sustained.