upgraded to 3770 now very low clock speed

Glaw343
Go to solution Solved by Somerandomtechyboi,

clear cmos just to make sure bios is at default settings

id also try bios update aswell

Hello all. I was given an old pc a while ago that had an Intel 3470s with a gigabyte h61m-s2pv rev1 motherboard. I put a decent power supply in it, mx500 ssd with windows 10 on it and put a 1060 6gb in it mainly just so i could run it with an ultrawide. I don't really game on this as i have a laptop that is much more powerful. I just use it for day to day stuff and use it for pro tools occasionally. it's fairly ancient now but the 3470s has been fast enough for basically anything i wanted to do and only really felt sluggish when I was doing a few things at the same time. I'm guessing that's due to the lack of hyperthreading. I decided to put a 3770 in it as that seems to be the best cpu this motherboard supports, they're really cheap and I fancied messing around with it but if anything I think it's slower than the 3470s. I thought maybe it was a knock off chip as I got it on ebay the other day for about £25 but it shows as an Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.4ghz max tdp 77w with a core voltage of 1.068v in CPU-Z. when I open task manager I can now see the 8 logical processors rather than the 4 the 3470 had but the base speed says 2.9ghz (which i think was the base speed for the 3470s) and the 3770 itself is running at about 2ghz most of the time, the 3470s seemed to be running significantly higher than that most of the time. when I opened fallout 76 to test it the 3770 didn't go over 30w in the msi afterburner overlay and looking at nzxt cam the cpu temps seem fine when not gaming although I am still using the stock cooler for the 3470s. is this normal or is there something i might have done wrong? it seems strange that task manager is reporting the base speed as 2.9ghz and it's constantly below that. any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Hmm i found a few bios versions on the website for that motherboard. how would i check which version i currently have installed?

5 minutes ago, Glaw343 said:

Hmm i found a few bios versions on the website for that motherboard. how would i check which version i currently have installed?

It should say what version you are running when you are in the BIOS.

Shitty picture from youtube video but its the same motherboard that you have.

image.thumb.png.c92873250d3969d60ba3e9499fde20b3.png

I had a look in the bios and mine seems to be FH. i pulled the cmos battery out and loaded optimised defaults i set the performance enhance setting to extreme in the advanced memory settings page and now it's showing that it's running at 4.2-4.3ghz in task manager and says the base speed is 3.9ghz. I ran far cry new dawn on it earlier and it wouldn't go above 30 watts. currently it goes up to 40 watts at 3.7ghz 55c and about 55-60% usage which is a bit better 

on second inspection it actually turns out my motherboard is rev 2.0 which explains the FH bios which appears to be the newest one for that board apart from fld which seems to be a beta bios

after running it for a while now it looks like it's all working as it should so thank you both of you for your help 🙂