Corsair M45 VS corsair M65

omricn

Hi guys,

When I first built my PC (which I'm proud of until this day :) but that's not the point) I went with the Corsair M60, which I absolutely LOVED. it is, in my honest opinion, one of the best mice ever made.

About a year into using the M60, the middle click started not responding unless I clicked it really hard, and so I ram'd it. I thought they'd just fix the thing and get it back to me, but to my surprise they've replaced it with a brand new M90.. which to many gamers can seem like an amazing trade, but not to yours truly.. I tried using it for a couple of days, but it just didn't cut it for me. the M90 has issues with profile LED's which don't light up correctly, also, you cant really switch dpi on the fly due to the LED's not indicating which setting you are on at any given moment.. 

Aaaanyway.. since then (about 6 months) I've bought the madcatz R.A.T 5, which is actually a very nice mouse, does what it should do. but.. it's not my M60 :)

Aaaanyway-2.. the store where I buy my peripherals finally stocked the M65, which I had my eye on for a long time, which is generally the M60 with an "updated" sensor. why the Quotation marks you might ask, well i seems that the M65's Avago ADNS-9800 sensor is quite controversial, almost every user describes having a "floaty" pointer, input lag, or delay of some kind, though all the posts made about this problem were made before corsair updated the firmware and saying they have fixed the issue. this is where I'm looking for input from people here, using the M65, after updating the firmware.

But, the title of this thread has another number in it, the M45. it does sound like an extraordinary mouse, great laser sensor, basically the same design as the M65, but the only thing it lacks, which is kind of a deal breaker for me, is the aluminium chassis.. so. yeah.

Suggestions fella's ? 

Coolermaster HAF 912 advanced | i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz | MSI gtx 660ti pe oc | Gygabite z77x-d3h | 8GB g.skill ripjaws| Samsung 830 ssd  | Seasonic m12II 620w

Corsair M45 mouse | Corsair K65 Keyboard | LG 27EA33V 27' ips| 

•  

My M40 has a broken middle click too, I use the DPI Up button as a middle click now.

Oh sorry i didn't read lol.

I'd get the M45

M45 has a flawless sensor (no acceleration) while the M65 has a flawed sensor. Unless you must have aluminum for looks, the M45 is a better choice.

Do u need laser?

Or is Optical good enough??

I didnt really find need for excessively high dpi..

My M40 has a broken middle click too, I use the DPI Up button as a middle click now.

Oh sorry i didn't read lol.

I'd get the M45

Oh man that sucks.. maybe try to open it and spray it with pressured air?

And thanks for the suggestion.

Coolermaster HAF 912 advanced | i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz | MSI gtx 660ti pe oc | Gygabite z77x-d3h | 8GB g.skill ripjaws| Samsung 830 ssd  | Seasonic m12II 620w

•  

Do u need laser?

Or is Optical good enough??

I didnt really find need for excessively high dpi..

I've never really tested optical vs laser side by side to really notice the difference, but I have used both, and can't really say I have a preference.

Also I really don't need anything higher than 1600-1800 dpi, but again, that's not why I made this thread, the reason I'm debating these mice, and especially the M65, is because of the "flawed" sensor it has, or HAD - according to Corsair.

•  

M45 has a flawless sensor (no acceleration) while the M65 has a flawed sensor. Unless you must have aluminum for looks, the M45 is a better choice.

Do you own either of them? are you referring to the flawed M65's sensor out of experience or knowledge? for some reason it's really hard to find M65 users who can provide a good overview of the mouse before and after the firmware update.

•  

Oh man that sucks.. maybe try to open it and spray it with pressured air?

And thanks for the suggestion.

You will void the warranty if you open it, i contacted Corsair a while ago, but i am lazy to send it to them.

You will void the warranty if you open it, i contacted Corsair a while ago, but i am lazy to send it to them.

Oh.. Now that's another story all together :lol:  Just do it man! you'll run out of warranty and be left with a broken mouse..  

•  

Do you own either of them? are you referring to the flawed M65's sensor out of experience or knowledge? for some reason it's really hard to find M65 users who can provide a good overview of the mouse before and after the firmware update.

I have M40. I stay away from laser mice (especially the ones with A9500 or A9800 sensors) due to knowledge. On experience side all the laser mice I've had in the past have been the worst ones I've used. The laser acceleration flaw is also something you cannot remove with a firmware update and is present in any mouse using the specific laser sensors, not just Corsair mice.

Oh.. Now that's another story all together :lol:  Just do it man! you'll run out of warranty and be left with a broken mouse..

Hahahahah I have it for half a year now, warranty is 2 years.

I have M40. I stay away from laser mice (especially the ones with A9500 or A9800 sensors) due to knowledge. On experience side all the laser mice I've had in the past have been the worst ones I've used. The laser acceleration flaw is also something you cannot remove with a firmware update and is present in any mouse using the specific laser sensors, not just Corsair mice.

I agree with you buddy, and that's good logic. 

Still, I had no issues what so ever with the M60 (avago ADNS 9500) so I really want to try out the m65, before deciding between it and the m45. I wish I'd known someone with an M65 that I could borrow..

•  

I agree with you buddy, and that's good logic. 

Still, I had no issues what so ever with the M60 (avago ADNS 9500) so I really want to try out the m65, before deciding between it and the m45. I wish I'd known someone with an M65 that I could borrow..

The flaw is pretty much invisible if you don't know about it or what to look for. Even if it you can experience it, it's not so bad that it turns the mouse unusable. A good way to shop for a mouse is to only get a laser mouse if a feature you must absolutely have is not present in any flawless optical mouse. For example, most MMO mice (the ones with tons of buttons) use a flawed sensor so you have to sacrifice tracking quality for an army of buttons.

The flaw is pretty much invisible if you don't know about it or what to look for. Even if it you can experience it, it's not so bad that it turns the mouse unusable. A good way to shop for a mouse is to only get a laser mouse if a feature you must absolutely have is not present in any flawless optical mouse. For example, most MMO mice (the ones with tons of buttons) use a flawed sensor so you have to sacrifice tracking quality for an army of buttons.

I'm one of those ocd dudes that will most likely spot the issue and lose my mind over it, that is if it's there. I also play mostly (if not only) fps games, so precision is very important). I'm ripped apart between these two mice :) I know for a fact the M45 is a better mouse, sensor-wise, but I absolutely have to try out the M65 :) I'm crazy like that :)

•  

People have been happily using aluminium-free mice for decades. Besides, aluminium just makes the mouse heavier, which isn't what you want for FPS.

People have been happily using aluminium-free mice for decades. Besides, aluminium just makes the mouse heavier, which isn't what you want for FPS.

You're seemingly correct, but I did own an M60 and I did play FPS games with that mouse, and it was perfect in every sense. mouse weight is a very personal preference for gamers. 

•  

M65 user here. After the update, no problems whatsoever. Great mouse, buttons click well and perfect for fps games (if you like a heavy mouse). I've had none of the problems you've stated above with input lag and floaty pointer, and would recommend it whole-heartedly.

Use it on a MM200 compact mouse mat and have never had any problems accuracy wise.

It also feels like it'd survive a bomb.

M65 user here. After the update, no problems whatsoever. Great mouse, buttons click well and perfect for fps games (if you like a heavy mouse). I've had none of the problems you've stated above with input lag and floaty pointer, and would recommend it whole-heartedly.

Use it on a MM200 compact mouse mat and have never had any problems accuracy wise.

It also feels like it'd survive a bomb.

You sir are the winner of the internets for today. you are the first human on earth to review the M65 after the update and assure me it's flawless. Thank you :)

•  

You sir are the winner of the internets for today. you are the first human on earth to review the M65 after the update and assure me it's flawless. Thank you :)

Thanks :P to be honest, I'd still go through a credible retailer such as Amazon, just so if you don't like the sensor you can always return no questions asked.

Thanks :P to be honest, I'd still go through a credible retailer such as Amazon, just so if you don't like the sensor you can always return no questions asked.

Unfortunately where I live Amazon charges too much for shipping, and I don't even want to guess how much it'll cost me to ship it back.. 

Unfortunately #2 - the only store that carries the M65 here has a policy of return only if item hasn't been used and the box is not damaged. sure, they can't really tell if I used it, but let's say I'm not planning on buying it without a single care. I'll just risk it I guess.

•  

I got my M65 post-update and applied the new firmware pretty much the first thing I did after taking it out of the box, so I don't really have any experience with it prior to the update. I did do a lot of reading into it however and considered it a potential dealbreaker until I found that they'd fixed it and the thread about it on their forum had many positive responses to it, so I decided I'd give it a chance.

My first M65 got from the same unresponsive middle-click issue that you mention after about a month or two, but I got a new one within 2 days without even having to send back the faulty one from the online retailer I got it from, which is still problem-free for a few months now and I immediately noticed the scroll wheel feels more rigid than the first one did out the box. One of the first things I noticed when I got my first M65 was actually the scroll-wheel feeling kinda loose.

Now all the gaming mice I've had has kinda been laser, although some years ago I used a cheap $20 optical one which was basically just the first best one the local PC shop had on offer, made for general desktop use. So whilst my experience is limited I can't say I see any of the 'flaws' people often say laser has compared to optical, but that's what I'm used to and I've never had a problem with accuracy either in games any applications.

And to answer your question about the tracking issue, M65 post-update has no issues whatsoever that I can find even when I look for them (after reading the descriptions of the pre-update issues).

As for the main question - Both the M45 and M65 has some nice things for and against them. I love the aluminum chassis and weight of the M65 but it's not necessarily something that'll make it a better mouse. The M45 has a LED at the rear "Corsair" logo as well that the M65 lacks (something I do miss, although I'm not a fan of the red color of the M45 as my system is blue-themed). The M65 also has the "Sniper" button which I hardly ever use, although it's an additional button over the M45 that can be reconfigured to do whatever you want it to really. I set up one profile for mine that'll bump the DPI to the max (8200) rather than lower it because in one particular game I find it useful as when I get stunned I can just click a button and turn around slightly more quickly, increasing my chances getting the unsuspecting enemy intending to flank me in my sights before he's able to shoot me.

------------------------ Liquidfox R3 ------------------------

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact – Corsair AX860i – Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero – AMD Ryzen 7 5900X – Nvidia GTX1070 Founders

Now all the gaming mice I've had has kinda been laser, although some years ago I used a cheap $20 optical one which was basically just the first best one the local PC shop had on offer, made for general desktop use.

A cheap $20 optical mouse probably isn't going to have a flawless sensor. When people say optical is better than laser, they're talking about the sensors typically found in gaming mice from the likes of Corsair, Steelseries, Logitech etc. There are plenty of other flawed optical and laser sensors.

I've never had a problem with accuracy ... in games.

How do you know?

Did you read my entire post?

A cheap $20 optical mouse probably isn't going to have a flawless sensor. When people say optical is better than laser, they're talking about the sensors typically found in gaming mice from the likes of Corsair, Steelseries, Logitech etc. There are plenty of other flawed optical and laser sensors.

The point of mentioning the cheapo mouse was to basically say "The only optical ones I've had are cheap desk-oriented ones, so I can't say much about it as my experience is limited"

How do you know?

As said, I only know from my own perspective as I'm used to how laser feels like and haven't had the "luxury" of using a "flawless" optical sensor. But what I meant is that I've never felt like my accuracy or tracking is lacking because of my mouse and I almost always seem to be in the top 3 players in most free for all matches anyhow in the games which I've played.

Even simple flash games like that one where your cursor turns invisible and you have to hit the disks I'm usually very accurate and fast. But that's because I'm used to how my mouse handles, it's more muscle memory than anything else. Change the sensitivity just a little and that's probably enough to throw me off completely until I can adapt to it.

------------------------ Liquidfox R3 ------------------------

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact – Corsair AX860i – Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero – AMD Ryzen 7 5900X – Nvidia GTX1070 Founders

The point of mentioning the cheapo mouse was to basically say "The only optical ones I've had are cheap desk-oriented ones, so I can't say much about it as my experience is limited"

I read your post, I just interpreted it differently. No worries.

But what I meant is that I've never felt like my accuracy or tracking is lacking

Okay. ;)

I got my M65 post-update and applied the new firmware pretty much the first thing I did after taking it out of the box, so I don't really have any experience with it prior to the update. I did do a lot of reading into it however and considered it a potential dealbreaker until I found that they'd fixed it and the thread about it on their forum had many positive responses to it, so I decided I'd give it a chance.

My first M65 got from the same unresponsive middle-click issue that you mention after about a month or two, but I got a new one within 2 days without even having to send back the faulty one from the online retailer I got it from, which is still problem-free for a few months now and I immediately noticed the scroll wheel feels more rigid than the first one did out the box. One of the first things I noticed when I got my first M65 was actually the scroll-wheel feeling kinda loose.

Now all the gaming mice I've had has kinda been laser, although some years ago I used a cheap $20 optical one which was basically just the first best one the local PC shop had on offer, made for general desktop use. So whilst my experience is limited I can't say I see any of the 'flaws' people often say laser has compared to optical, but that's what I'm used to and I've never had a problem with accuracy either in games any applications.

And to answer your question about the tracking issue, M65 post-update has no issues whatsoever that I can find even when I look for them (after reading the descriptions of the pre-update issues).

As for the main question - Both the M45 and M65 has some nice things for and against them. I love the aluminum chassis and weight of the M65 but it's not necessarily something that'll make it a better mouse. The M45 has a LED at the rear "Corsair" logo as well that the M65 lacks (something I do miss, although I'm not a fan of the red color of the M45 as my system is blue-themed). The M65 also has the "Sniper" button which I hardly ever use, although it's an additional button over the M45 that can be reconfigured to do whatever you want it to really. I set up one profile for mine that'll bump the DPI to the max (8200) rather than lower it because in one particular game I find it useful as when I get stunned I can just click a button and turn around slightly more quickly, increasing my chances getting the unsuspecting enemy intending to flank me in my sights before he's able to shoot me.

Thanks for the input buddy, much appreciated and helpful.

Mouse lag is indeed a comparison thing, muscle memory plays an important role in knowing if your mouse is indeed "lagging" or not. one could be used to a "lagging" mouse and never know it is "lagging" due to his brain-hand automatic compensation. but I know you get my point.

I am a bit of a mouse-o-holic, I don't know why, but I can't last a year with the same mouse.. I've owned the M60, M90, Roccat kova plus, and currently using the MadCatz R.A.T 5, never had input lag issues on either of them. 

Bottom line, eventually I'll buy the M65, as the M60 was by far my favorite from all of the above. I just don't know what to do with all the mice I have now :)

•