(Relatively) high power consumption with low package power

I recently started monitoring my PCs power consumption because my room is always hot and I came to the conclusion that there isn't much more I can do to bring it down any further, but I noticed that on idle even when the CPU is at sub 5w, the wall power is very high (~150-200w) I know that my gpu uses a considerable amount of power at idle, but it doesn't account for all of that. Since I am repasting my gpu today anyway, I decided to monitor my pc's power consumption without its biggest power consumer.

The thing I noticed, is that in windows, even with the Package Power in HWInfo being below 5w (2-3w) the wall meter is showing 60-70w. Is there any more diagnostics I can do to see whats accounting for the other 50ish watts? I'll post full specs below.

i7-12700K

32GB 3600Mhz DDR4

EVGA RTX 3090 (taken out)

MSI b660m Mag Mortar DDR4 Wifi

1TB WD SN750

2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus

500GB Samsung 840 Evo

All RGB off/disabled

Package is for CPU, what is GPU drawing?

image.png.c71c3abf9249c38bd9a07172aaf6f400.png

You also have 3 SSDs, and disabling RGB won't bring down temps really I think.

High end CPU + high end GPU + 3 SSDs, you get heat

8 minutes ago, guyman70718 said:

I recently started monitoring my PCs power consumption because my room is always hot and I came to the conclusion that there isn't much more I can do to bring it down any further,

Does your room have a window? If you can't open window because it's summer, half of the culprit of the hot room is the fact that it's summer. (but the PC does help slightly to make it even hotter)

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

current PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

1. Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050
  2. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050
  3. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

26 minutes ago, guyman70718 said:

The thing I noticed, is that in windows, even with the Package Power in HWInfo being below 5w (2-3w) the wall meter is showing 60-70w. Is there any more diagnostics I can do to see whats accounting for the other 50ish watts? I'll post full specs below.

nope nothing you can do 50-70w idle is completely normal... that's less than a light bulb lol...

motherboard ram hard drive(s) usb keyboard etc etc all are gonna draw "some" power.

just move on and use your pc for what it's intended to be used no need to worry.

20240602_221528.thumb.jpg.7759e6a4fe2d9b68564c25eb9db602b3.jpg

my pc at "idle"

(ps the ~10w discrepancy between wall and actual usage is just the conversion the psu does, which in this case is very good / as expected with efficiency at 84%)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

57 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

nope nothing you can do 50-70w idle is completely normal... that's less than a light bulb lol...

only reason I was curious is that I had recently seen a review on (tomshardware?) where they were benchmarking idle full system power and theirs with a high end cpu and a rtx 4090 was consuming 80w at idle, which is..... much higher than mine with a 3090 lol. I guess if theres not really any diagnosis though I'll leave it alone