How big of a difference between low end and high end tablet? (aka Mediapad M3 vs Surface Go Gen1 vs upgrade possibilities)

I currently have 2 tablets: a Huawei Mediapad M3 BTV DL09, and a MS Surface Go Gen1.

What I like about the Surface: software runs really well, for example PPSSPP runs much better than on the Mediapad; the small keyboard with a trackpad is nice, easy to get on, easy to remove. Also I am familiar with Win10 and I like it.

What I don't like about the Surface - anything else related to tablet use lol. As I said, I like Win10, but it is really bad for tablet use. The Mediapad is much snappier in menus (however, it struggles a bit inside of apps).

I was wondering if the difference between my Mediapad and a slightly more modern, Spandragon-equipped Android tablet would be noticable and if it can approach the raw performance of the Windows device.

I don't use tablets often enough to warrant some brand new 1000 usd device, so I am interested in whether it is worth looking for something from a few years ago, and if yes, what? As mentioned, I would like it to have a solid Snapdragon because I read PPSSSPP runs better on it. In terms of size, the Mediapad is fine.

I am not well-knowledged about the Android tablet lineup. Was my Mediapad considered low tier or high tier back in the day and how would one consider it nowadays?

Thanks!

On 6/1/2024 at 6:15 PM, Real_Smoky said:

I currently have 2 tablets: a Huawei Mediapad M3 BTV DL09, and a MS Surface Go Gen1.

What I like about the Surface: software runs really well, for example PPSSPP runs much better than on the Mediapad; the small keyboard with a trackpad is nice, easy to get on, easy to remove. Also I am familiar with Win10 and I like it.

What I don't like about the Surface - anything else related to tablet use lol. As I said, I like Win10, but it is really bad for tablet use. The Mediapad is much snappier in menus (however, it struggles a bit inside of apps).

I was wondering if the difference between my Mediapad and a slightly more modern, Spandragon-equipped Android tablet would be noticable and if it can approach the raw performance of the Windows device.

I don't use tablets often enough to warrant some brand new 1000 usd device, so I am interested in whether it is worth looking for something from a few years ago, and if yes, what? As mentioned, I would like it to have a solid Snapdragon because I read PPSSSPP runs better on it. In terms of size, the Mediapad is fine.

I am not well-knowledged about the Android tablet lineup. Was my Mediapad considered low tier or high tier back in the day and how would one consider it nowadays?

Thanks!

Unless you really need Windows for certain apps, I'd go with an Android tablet. And you don't need a premium tablet to get a good experience versus your MediaPad, since it's now several years old (as I understand).

If you're in the US or another market, try the Google Pixel Tablet. It has good performance for the money and, of course, is well-supported. If you're willing to spend more, the Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 will be more powerful overall.

I'd also consider an iPad since you can now run PPSSPP on it. You don't need more than the 'base' iPad, although I'd definitely consider choosing one with 256GB of storage instead of 64GB. You can even get a pretty decent official keyboard folio.