Need help with Ptm7950 vs Noctua nt-h2 for Lenovo legion 5 gaming laptop

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some advice on which among the two thermal interface materials are better for my laptop.

The specs are Ryzen 7 with Rtx 3060 130W.

I had purchased this in 2021 and now I am using with a 1440p 165hz LG monitor as a display with a cooling pad.

Since it has been 3 years I thought it might be time for a thermal paste change also since I started using the 1440p screen the laptop is running at 80-87C depending on the weather in India.

This is my first time trying to repaste a laptop. So should I go forward with the repaste or am I just being paranoid that my hardware may fail.

If I should go for the repaste is Noctua better or Ptm7950? I have seen linus's video and the availability of the Ptm7950 in store but noctua is readily available also the only Ptm7950 available in India are:

GPU Thermal Pad, Corn Phase Change, PTM7950 High Conductive Silicone Grease 8.5W/mK CPU Thermal Paste for M.2 SSD RAM Processor GPU CPU PS5 (80 * 40mm) https://amzn.in/d/1iPN4j2

PTM7950 Thermal Pad Phase Change Heatsink 80x80x0.2mm 8.5W/mK Thermal Conductive for Heatsink PS5 Steam Deck CPU GPU SSD Silicone Grease Thermal Pad https://amzn.in/d/3rckyL7

And I don't know I should trust the above both of them or not. But also trying to import Ptm7950 from LTT store will be pricy for someone living in India.

Direct die = PTM7590 or liquid metal otherwise you will have to keep on replacing thermal paste every 6 months. Also both of those Amazon link is a major rip offs.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Mayur G A said:

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some advice on which among the two thermal interface materials are better for my laptop.

I had purchased this in 2021 and now I am using with a 1440p 165hz LG monitor as a display with a cooling pad.

Since it has been 3 years I thought it might be time for a thermal paste change also since I started using the 1440p screen the laptop is running at 80-87C depending on the weather in India.

This is my first time trying to repaste a laptop. So should I go forward with the repaste or am I just being paranoid that my hardware may fail.

If I should go for the repaste is Noctua better or Ptm7950? I have seen linus's video and the availability of the Ptm7950 in store but noctua is readily available also the only Ptm7950 available in India are:

GPU Thermal Pad, Corn Phase Change, PTM7950 High Conductive Silicone Grease 8.5W/mK CPU Thermal Paste for M.2 SSD RAM Processor GPU CPU PS5 (80 * 40mm) https://amzn.in/d/1iPN4j2

PTM7950 Thermal Pad Phase Change Heatsink 80x80x0.2mm 8.5W/mK Thermal Conductive for Heatsink PS5 Steam Deck CPU GPU SSD Silicone Grease Thermal Pad https://amzn.in/d/3rckyL7

And I don't know I should trust the above both of them or not. But also trying to import Ptm7950 from LTT store will be pricy for someone living in India.

IIRC I read somewhere that legion series uses PTM7950 PTM from the factory.

Probably was just a reddit post though

edit : from reddit post

https://old.reddit.com/r/LenovoLegion/comments/tfxomi/lenovos_stock_paste_is_actually_ptm7958_a_custom/
image.png.58ed43e6c4b3019983ea65cb0a1c5e16.png

About whether or not to buy from those links or aliexpress link or w/e, all I know is this :

1. The truly legit one usually gonna cost something

2. The cheaper one is kinda a gamble

As for temperature, tried doing a deep clean already ?

Though if your ambient temp is really high, I don't think even a new paste /TPM will help you that much.

Edited by Poinkachu

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

4 hours ago, Mayur G A said:

Hello everyone,

Honeywell PTM7950. The lowest legit price I know of is through LTT.

Oh, you're in India. I was rushed and couldn't stop to read your message fully. 

You would really need to know if your laptop uses paste, pads or both. If just pads, then you'll need to know the thickness. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

22 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

https://old.reddit.com/r/LenovoLegion/comments/tfxomi/lenovos_stock_paste_is_actually_ptm7958_a_custom/

About whether or not to buy from those links or aliexpress link or w/e, all I know is this :

Though if your ambient temp is really high, I don't think even a new paste /TPM will help you that much.

Yeah the ambient temperatures are currently high in India.

19 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Honeywell PTM7950. The lowest legit price I know of is through LTT.

Oh, you're in India. I was rushed and couldn't stop to read your message fully. 

You would really need to know if your laptop uses paste, pads or both. If just pads, then you'll need to know the thickness. 

22 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

22 hours ago, Levent said:

Direct die = PTM7590 or liquid metal otherwise you will have to keep on replacing thermal paste every 6 months. Also both of those Amazon link is a major rip offs.

Thank you guys for your time.

Before I decide to start any repasting can I get you guy's input on whether I should even repaste it or not? Is 80-87C for a 1440p 165hz monitor screen with laptop screen turned off normal or not for a 3yr old laptop?

3 hours ago, Mayur G A said:

Before I decide to start any repasting can I get you guy's input on whether I should even repaste it or not? Is 80-87C for a 1440p 165hz monitor screen with laptop screen turned off normal or not for a 3yr old laptop?

Doing what?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Mayur G A said:

As far as my knowledge goes, which is kinda limited actually, TPM lasts for quite long time.

At the very least should be at thermal paste level, so 3 years old should still be fine.

And if those reddit posts are true, then your Legion most likely is using one

Whether or not to repaste due to that temp, it depends on :

1. As @RevGAM asked, doing what? (which I assume are done in performance mode [red light on power button])

2. The laptop's own cooling capability

3. Ambient temp

Also, as I have asked before,

On 5/7/2024 at 5:38 PM, Poinkachu said:

tried doing a deep clean already ?

Meaning to fully clean the fan, from the inside

Because sometimes, just cleaning the exhaust using brush and blowing air from outside isn't enough

Edited by Poinkachu

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

1 minute ago, Poinkachu said:

As far as i know, which is kinda limited, TPM lasts for quite long time.

At the very least should be at thermal paste level, so 3 years old should still be fine.

And if those reddit post are true, then your Legion most likely is using one

Whether or not to repaste due to that temp, it depends on :

1. As @RevGAM asked, doing what? (which I assume are done in performance mode [red light on power button])

2. The laptop's own cooling capability

3. Ambient temp

Also, as I have asked before, have you done a deep fan cleaning ?

Are you aware that your avatar looks like the fiance from "The Haunting of Bly Manor"?

Just now, RevGAM said:

Are you aware that your avatar looks like the fiance from "The Haunting of Bly Manor"?

Nope! never even seen that show.

My avatar is from Sin City movie

Refresh before you reply

Posted (edited)

@Mayur G A

From your brief description, I am guessing your laptop is Legion 5 (2021) 15ACH6H

If that is true, you probably can use this review as somekind of comparison.

Keep in mind that the laptop in the review was tested at 21c ambient temp, most likely with the lid of the laptop open.

Also at 1080p, so if you are running yours at 1440p, the laptop gonna have to work harder

Edited by Poinkachu

Refresh before you reply

13 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Nope! never even seen that show.

My avatar is from Sin City movie

It's a slow-moving drama with ghosts as backdrop. 8 episodes, IIRC, and you have to sit through the first three for no special reason, the next 2-3 for history, before finally getting to the best part, which requires the previous 6 to fully make sense. They took suspense to an excruciating level. I swear I heard Hitchcock swearing!