Website & Domain Hosting

Hi guys,

I am getting a few clients asking me if I do website hosting/can take over from there previous host (They are getting some quite expensive renewals). There current host is also an IT support business which use a dedicated hosting company then pass on the fees (making a little extra).

With being in IT support that isn't an area i've actually covered (My own website is a wordpress one and my domain is with cloudflare). 

Is there much to transferring a website to a new host if I was to become a hosting reseller?

Thanks 

8 minutes ago, Yosh1 said:

Hi guys,

I am getting a few clients asking me if I do website hosting/can take over from there previous host (They are getting some quite expensive renewals). There current host is also an IT support business which use a dedicated hosting company then pass on the fees (making a little extra).

With being in IT support that isn't an area i've actually covered (My own website is a wordpress one and my domain is with cloudflare). 

Is there much to transferring a website to a new host if I was to take it on?

Thanks 

I guess it primarily depends on where the authoritative DNS for the domain is. If its with cloudflare or such (no experience with them, primarily through godaddy myself) then you'd just need to point it to another IP where the new site is being hosted by getting access to the DNS records of the domain's account with cloudflare. If its all internal account/website ownership transfer nonsense, then I'd contact the provider since that would be specific to their system.

If the old company has authoritative DNS of the domain, then its beyond my knowledge for transferring that. Something I've never had to do. If its an outsource of the webpage but the company has local authoritative DNS, then they should have local onsite IT maintaining that infrastructure.

I'd figure out where the domain name is located and where the website is hosted specifically. You can probably find out both based on where they resolve to through who.is and/or ping requests and IP lookups. There could be multiple sites hosted on the domain that are located in different areas, like if the organization has authoritative DNS of the domain and hosts some websites locally and others elsewhere. 

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

8 minutes ago, Yosh1 said:

Is there much to transferring a website to a new host if I was to take it on?

If its a container, absolutely not. If its not, I am wishing you best of luck. Especially if the website or the server was not maintained, you are in one hell of a trip.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

8 minutes ago, Levent said:

If its a container, absolutely not. If its not, I am wishing you best of luck. Especially if the website or the server was not maintained, you are in one hell of a trip.

This particular client just has his website hosted with 123-reg it looks like the current reseller is using.

He doesn't even use his domain in his email account. He's got an Outlook email address.

I'm thinking this one might be a case of backing up the website then uploading to my own reseller hosting account and change where the domain name points.

I did setup a cloudflare account to transfer my own domain into (I can then add extra domains to manage).

Noticed fastshosts charge £50/month for a reseller account but I don't have enough clients to even cover that 🤔

Do your potential clients have full access to their websites or have full backup (website files and DB dump)?

How is hosted mail for these domains?

Minimal VPS starts from €1/mo

ad infinitum

On 4/26/2024 at 1:22 AM, ieleja said:

Do your potential clients have full access to their websites or have full backup (website files and DB dump)?

How is hosted mail for these domains?

Minimal VPS starts from €1/mo

No, a competitor in the area does.

Think i'm going to leave the hosting for now. Not enough demand for it and ile have to physically call a local competitor to say "oi, one of your clients is coming to me I need there website backup etc". I've already had a fair few devices with that competitors sticker on 😄