any decent motherboard chassis that wont break my bank?

6 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

futureproofing

I mean when you make a case the size of entire small server racks, yeah. That will do it for you.

13 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Yeah, that motherboard is designed for a few very specific SuperMicro chassis. Older SuperMicro stuff isn't terribly expensive on the used market. 

Either that or switch platforms to something like a PowerEdge R720 or T620. Those support the same processor family and have more RAM slots, and they're almost literally a dime a dozen these days.

im checking that out, assuming that my parts work with the R720, this maybe a better option for me, thanks for letting me know

Just now, ConanWolf said:

im checking that out, assuming that my parts work with the R720, this maybe a better option for me, thanks for letting me know

Your motherboard won't, but your RAM and processors will.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

12 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Your motherboard won't, but your RAM and processors will.

ya i figured that, my CPUs will too but it depending on what software im using, the CPUs that comes with it, it might be better

i think i will still make my own case just in case i ever want to use that board again but i also think i will be buying a new server setup.

16 minutes ago, ConanWolf said:

i think i will still make my own case just in case i ever want to use that board again but i also think i will be buying a new server setup.

If you're buying everything from scratch, I'd recommend going for at least an LGA2011-3 platform instead. You'll get better power efficiency and twice the core count and potential memory density (since it's DDR4 instead of DDR3).

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

If you're buying everything from scratch, I'd recommend going for at least an LGA2011-3 platform instead. You'll get better power efficiency and twice the core count and potential memory density (since it's DDR4 instead of DDR3).

how would i figure out if its a V2, 3, or 4? the seller only lists it as a XEON E5-2695

8 minutes ago, ConanWolf said:

how would i figure out if its a V2, 3, or 4? the seller only lists it as a XEON E5-2695

Xeon E5-1600 and E5-2600 "v0" (or no number at all) and v2 are Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge, for LGA2011 and DDR3.

Xeon E5-1600 and E5-2600 v3 and v4 are Haswell and Broadwell, for LGA2011-3 and DDR4.

If all else fails, look for the 5-digit Intel product number and slap that into your search engine of choice. That will tell you exactly what they have.