How is radeon gpu for streaming and recording gameplay in general

AlexStarr

So i am gonna move and i was thinking of getting a new pc but i was conflicted wether i want nvidia or radeon graphic i have an nvidia pc rn but i want to sell it so i can get this pc i am worried that amd radeon gpu are not good for streaming and recording in general but nvidia is really expensive  

So i want to know how the streaming and recording gameplay in radeon gpu is

Neither brand matters, it's down to the individual card so how about a budget and maybe we can give some good ideas

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

Just now, ItTakes2ToMango said:

Neither brand matters, it's down to the individual card so how about a budget and maybe we can give some good ideas

I wanted to either go with the rtx 4070 ti super or a 7800xt or 7900xt

Paired with a 7800x3d

4 minutes ago, AlexStarr said:

So i am gonna move and i was thinking of getting a new pc but i was conflicted wether i want nvidia or radeon graphic i have an nvidia pc rn but i want to sell it so i can get this pc i am worried that amd radeon gpu are not good for streaming and recording in general but nvidia is really expensive  

So i want to know how the streaming and recording gameplay in radeon gpu is

I hate the bias that Radeon is bad and even though it's faster it won't run as good because AMD isn't a good brand. That's not how it works. It comes down to their drivers (which to be fair nvidia does tend to do a better job with) and just bare speed. Also AMD has more vram most times so that would help with multitasking multiple gpu intensive tasks.

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

4 minutes ago, AlexStarr said:

I wanted to either go with the rtx 4070 ti super or a 7800xt or 7900xt

Paired with a 7800x3d

4070 ti super has 16 gb vram and 7900xt has 20gb...

4070 Ti is better for photo/video editing and any other "working" tasks. 7900xt will be faster in almost everything else you do. Especially if you often find yourself doing heavy multitasking that uses a lot of vram.

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

Another question i have is that nvidia has something like nvech for streams what does amd have 

1 hour ago, AlexStarr said:

Another question i have is that nvidia has something like nvech for streams what does amd have 

It's got an av1 encoder and decoder which is better than nvenc, but you need to check your streaming service if it supports it (OBS should support it)

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

2 hours ago, AlexStarr said:

AMD has always had an equivalent. The issue is that, historically, it wasn't as good as NVENC (the NVidia ENCoder).

For H.264 streaming, this is still largely the case, although AMD has made some big improvements over the years. Whether or not you could actually tell a difference if you were watching a stream on Twitch or something is debateable, but Nvidia would have the edge there.

For H.265 and AV1 encoding, the two are much more even. Some analysis even puts AMD's AV1 encoder ahead of Nvidia's, but again, I have doubts about whether someone watching a stream could tell the difference in a blind test.

The area where Nvidia's productivity prowess is totally unchallenged is 3D modeling. If you do complex projects in Blender, for example, then Nvidia is the only viable choice - it's honestly not even close when it comes to render times. You'll have charts where the 7900XTX loses to an RTX 4060 Ti thanks to the optimization for Cuda (Nvidia's proprietary GPU compute solution).

However, if you don't do 3D modeling, and are wiling to be flexible with software for things like video editing (AMD is actually superior for Da Vinci Resolve, but Nvidia wins in Adobe Premier), then getting an AMD GPU as a streamer isn't going to ruin your life or anything.

In the long term, better to just use a cheap capture card and do all the encoding and host the stream on a cheap little mini PC or NUC with H264 or Quicksync if it has modern Intel integrated graphics.

This way the performance of the gaming PC will be completely unaffected and the stream survives if the gaming PC crashes for some reason.

3 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

AMD has always had an equivalent. The issue is that, historically, it wasn't as good as NVENC (the NVidia ENCoder).

For H.264 streaming, this is still largely the case, although AMD has made some big improvements over the years. Whether or not you could actually tell a difference if you were watching a stream on Twitch or something is debateable, but Nvidia would have the edge there.

For H.265 and AV1 encoding, the two are much more even. Some analysis even puts AMD's AV1 encoder ahead of Nvidia's, but again, I have doubts about whether someone watching a stream could tell the difference in a blind test.

The area where Nvidia's productivity prowess is totally unchallenged is 3D modeling. If you do complex projects in Blender, for example, then Nvidia is the only viable choice - it's honestly not even close when it comes to render times. You'll have charts where the 7900XTX loses to an RTX 4060 Ti thanks to the optimization for Cuda (Nvidia's proprietary GPU compute solution).

However, if you don't do 3D modeling, and are wiling to be flexible with software for things like video editing (AMD is actually superior for Da Vinci Resolve, but Nvidia wins in Adobe Premier), then getting an AMD GPU as a streamer isn't going to ruin your life or anything.

Isn't there a project reverse engineering CUDA for AMD? Or is that just for Linux?

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

3 minutes ago, Sarra said:

Isn't there a project reverse engineering CUDA for AMD? Or is that just for Linux?

I'm guessing you didn't hear the news. Nvidia took the ban hammer to that effort last month. The ZLUDA translation layer is really hurting now, because all the major support for it has been pulled as a result - both AMD and Intel are no longer interested.

The only long-term solution is to move software away from CUDA and towards open standards.

1 minute ago, YoungBlade said:

I'm guessing you didn't hear the news. Nvidia took the ban hammer to that effort last month. The ZLUDA translation layer is really hurting now, because all the major support for it has been pulled as a result - both AMD and Intel are no longer interested.

The only long-term solution is to move software away from CUDA and towards open standards.

Well, sucks for NVidia, they were on my 'no buy' list, now they're staying there forever.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

If you're trying to stick to a budget, it's hard to beat the value of AMD. The only reasons to go Nvidia is either you need/want the 4090 and all the powers, 3D modeling (already mentioned), CUDA-accelerated work (video editing with Adobe suite..After Effects, Premier or wanting to dive into running/training local AI), or if ray tracing is a BIG thing for you. Another factor is what resolution do you wanting to be playing games at, and what resolution, target framerate, and platform are you streaming to?

IMO the biggest bottleneck to performance when it comes to streaming is your ISP and the streaming platform, not your GPU. Unless you are a bigger streamer, you can have a higher bitrate; but for the average hobby-ist streamer, you're pretty much capped at 6mbps (1080p60fps) on Twitch. In my experience, sending out 720p60fps to Twitch is actually better. If you stream to YouTube, you could go up to 40mbps (4k60fps).