Guys, my PC and I need help and I'm freaking out.

Go to solution Solved by PDifolco,
1 hour ago, HaneefullaH said:

It's been on this for like an hour now. I also wanted to ask if a motherboard or bios problem could cause this to happen. 

IMG_8817.heic 1.57 MB · 1 download

I think one of your disk is corrupted/has errors

Check, clean and reformat them

I just built my first PC (sorry, I'm new here). Here are the specs:

Mobo: MSI B760m gaming plus wifi.

CPU: i7 13700kf

GPU: MSI Trident RTX 4070

RAM: 16x2 (32gb)

PSU: Seasonic 750W

SSD: Kingston Nvme 1tb

SSD: WD 2.5" 1tb SATA SSD.

The system posts and I'm able to install windows. I installed windows 11 and the PC seemed to work fine but once I start copying my games the PC drastically slows down with 100% disk usage. I initially thought it was the nvme SSD that was faulty so I wiped it and installed the OS on the sata SSD but the same thing happens. Once it slows down the PC stops responding to anything and then it crashes, refusing to respond to anything. 

It's worth stating that upon startup the PC always automatically updates windows. I'll appreciate any help I can get. 

Thanks. 

14 minutes ago, HaneefullaH said:

The system posts and I'm able to install windows. I installed windows 11 and the PC seemed to work fine but once I start copying my games the PC drastically slows down with 100% disk usage. I initially thought it was the nvme SSD that was faulty so I wiped it and installed the OS on the sata SSD but the same thing happens. Once it slows down the PC stops responding to anything and then it crashes, refusing to respond to anything. 

It's worth stating that upon startup the PC always automatically updates windows. I'll appreciate any help I can get. 

Thanks. 

What's the size you're copying ? Some cheap NVme saturates after their TLC cache is full and get very slow

Should work with the SATA SSD tho, did you check your drive health ? 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

3 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

What's the size you're copying ? Some cheap NVme saturates after their TLC cache is full and get very slow

Should work with the SATA SSD tho, did you check your drive health ? 

I wanted to copy apex legends. The total folder size is about 70gb. I noticed that it freezes at around 60% of the total folder size. The copy shows 0% on one of the bigger files. After this the PC just slows down and it essentially crashes the OS requiring me to reinstall windows. It's currently doing a disk check to attempt to fix the problem but it's restarted the same disk check process like 2 or 3 times now. 

8 minutes ago, HaneefullaH said:

I wanted to copy apex legends. The total folder size is about 70gb. I noticed that it freezes at around 60% of the total folder size. The copy shows 0% on one of the bigger files. After this the PC just slows down and it essentially crashes the OS requiring me to reinstall windows. It's currently doing a disk check to attempt to fix the problem but it's restarted the same disk check process like 2 or 3 times now. 

It's been on this for like an hour now. I also wanted to ask if a motherboard or bios problem could cause this to happen. 

IMG_8817.heic

IMG_8817.heic 1.57 MB · 1 download

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

2 hours ago, HaneefullaH said:

Thanks. 

Where are you copying it from? Another drive hooked directly to the machine?

1 hour ago, PDifolco said:

I did this. It's still very slow. I think I some how managed to get 2 bad drives. I'll try to return them and test with a new one. I'll update here when I do. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

Where are you copying it from? Another drive hooked directly to the machine?

I'm copying from an external 2.5" HDD in a case. I actually ran a test using 2 different 2.5" external hdds. Both copying the same folder but one to my PC and the other to my laptop (Asus tuf 2021). It copied a lot faster into my laptop and the disk usage only had occasional spikes to 100% and dropped immediately. On the other hand,the disk usage on my PC was constantly 100% and took much longer to copy. I'll try to swap out the SSD in my PC for another one to test. I'll update once I do that. 

21 minutes ago, HaneefullaH said:

I'm copying from an external 2.5" HDD in a case. I actually ran a test using 2 different 2.5" external hdds. Both copying the same folder but one to my PC and the other to my laptop (Asus tuf 2021). It copied a lot faster into my laptop and the disk usage only had occasional spikes to 100% and dropped immediately. On the other hand,the disk usage on my PC was constantly 100% and took much longer to copy. I'll try to swap out the SSD in my PC for another one to test. I'll update once I do that. 

It's the Kingston SSD ? NV2 ? Those aren't very good and get real slow once their cache is full

Are the two external drives identical? Try using the same one on both systems to rule out the external drive as the problem.

50 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

It's the Kingston SSD ? NV2 ? Those aren't very good and get real slow once their cache is full

I actually figured as much. I'm just shocked that the WD 2.5" SATA is doing the same thing. The file refused to copy and I'm on my way to get another SSD to try out. I'll update here once I'm done 

Just now, HaneefullaH said:

I actually figured as much. I'm just shocked that the WD 2.5" SATA is doing the same thing. The file refused to copy and I'm on my way to get another SSD to try out. I'll update here once I'm done 

This is why I suspect the external drive. The chance of having two bad new drives from different companies and different tech is HIGHLY unlikely. Two drives from the same mfg and batch? Sure, I can see that. But two companies, one m.2 and one SATA? Nope. It's not the drives. Its something else.

5 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Are the two external drives identical? Try using the same one on both systems to rule out the external drive as the problem.

They're identical and I tried using the same external drive on both PCs. The new build still froze while it copied normally on my laptop. My biggest fear is that it's a new build, do you think it could be a motherboard or bios issue?

6 minutes ago, HaneefullaH said:

They're identical and I tried using the same external drive on both PCs. The new build still froze while it copied normally on my laptop. My biggest fear is that it's a new build, do you think it could be a motherboard or bios issue?

I'm now thinking the source drive is corrupt, the target SSDs may get saturated but crash cause of corrupted data

Can't you reinstall your game over the Internet ? It takes me like 15min to install 100GB games so I don't backup/copy anything anymore...

1 hour ago, PDifolco said:

I'm now thinking the source drive is corrupt, the target SSDs may get saturated but crash cause of corrupted data

Can't you reinstall your game over the Internet ? It takes me like 15min to install 100GB games so I don't backup/copy anything anymore...

This is where I was directing the conversation. I've seen this happen many times when the source is borked for whatever reason.

3 hours ago, PDifolco said:

I just finally finished my rounds. I got a Samsung Evo 990 and it's now working perfectly. There are a lot of counterfeit SSDs here but thankfully I was able to lay my hands on original SSDs. The system is operating optimally now. Thank you so much.

2 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

This is where I was directing the conversation. I've seen this happen many times when the source is borked for whatever reason.

The SSDs were bad. I'm headed home now to try reinstalling all the other drivers but at least the PC wasn't slow when I tried copying my steam games from my external HDD. Thank you for being on this journey with me😁

13 hours ago, HaneefullaH said:

The SSDs were bad. I'm headed home now to try reinstalling all the other drivers but at least the PC wasn't slow when I tried copying my steam games from my external HDD. Thank you for being on this journey with me😁

download samsung magician and download the latest firmware for your SSD too incase its older stock, they have an issue where they basically destroy themselves on the old firmware

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

22 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

download samsung magician and download the latest firmware for your SSD too incase its older stock, they have an issue where they basically destroy themselves on the old firmware

That is only the 980 pro, not the 990 evo.

1 minute ago, Blue4130 said:

That is only the 980 pro, not the 990 evo.

damn, i keep forgetting the 990 evo exists, thought it was a pro 😅

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3