RX 7900 GRE vs 4070 Super? Also wonder which models are the best

Budget (including currency): Anything from entry level 4070, 4070 Super and RX 7900 GRE

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hello!

I'm planning to buy a new GPU. The prices are converted to USD below

Here's the cheapest option for each cards.

RX 7900 GRE ($660)

GIGABYTE Radeon RX 7900 GRE GAMING OC : https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Fq26Mp/gigabyte-gaming-oc-radeon-rx-7900-gre-16-gb-video-card-gv-r79gregaming-oc-16gd

4070 Super ($734):

1. Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 Super Windforce OC  12GB https://pcpartpicker.com/product/HCkH99/gigabyte-windforce-oc-geforce-rtx-4070-super-12-gb-video-card-gv-n407swf3oc-12gd

2. ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 Super 12GB EVO https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qtbRsY/asus-dual-evo-oc-geforce-rtx-4070-super-12-gb-video-card-dual-rtx4070s-o12g-evo

3. ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER Twin Edge

4. ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER Twin Edge OC https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Y39wrH/zotac-gaming-twin-edge-oc-geforce-rtx-4070-super-12-gb-video-card-zt-d40720h-10m

5. Inno3D GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER Twin X2 - 12GB GDDR6X (not in stock)  https://pcpartpicker.com/product/r4hv6h/inno3d-twin-x2-geforce-rtx-4070-super-12-gb-video-card-n407s2-126x-186162n

6. MSI GeForce RTX Ventus 2X 4070 SUPER OC https://pcpartpicker.com/product/y6dG3C/msi-ventus-2x-oc-geforce-rtx-4070-super-12-gb-video-card-rtx-4070-super-12g-ventus-2x-oc

I'm mainly going to use the GPU for gaming. The RX 7900 GRE at the price mentioned are out of stock but I can put a reservation for it I believe. Otherwise I go with the 4070 Super. 

I know that the 4070 super models performs  and costs the same but I wonder about which one or ones are the least loud or have the best cooling solution.

In general, all GPU has the exact same performance no matter which board partner you choose

The difference of each board partner is usually on the looks of the GPU and cooling solution that they have

Gigabyte is usually known to be the loudest noise compared to the other brand. On some test, it's the coolest because of the fan, sometimes it gives no difference compared to others

ASUS is usually the most expensive (especially the ROG Strix line up, with premium feel build), but other than the highest line up, ASUS GPU is not something special

Inno3D is usually the best bang for the buck, especially for NVIDIA GPU

MSI is the mid-range overall, no specialty, but no weak link

ZOTAC is usually cheap, but from what I heard from my friends using it, it has high chance of failure or problem (milage may vary)

In my opinion, since most of the NVIDIA GPU has the same performance regardless of the price and brand, I would suggest to check on the GPU size that fits on your PC case, price (budget for plain and simple, expensive for premium material and looks) and whether you want RGB or not

If your use case is purely for gaming as you have mentioned, I would recommend RX 7900 GRE, but if you want to have some productivity or even AI related work use in the future and want the best cooling, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 Super Windforce OC is obviously the best and optimized for that kind of work

Here I attached link of some GPU 4070Ti S review, TLDR it has the same performance, regardless of the marketing specs and pricing

(It's not the same as the 4070 S that you're looking for, but should be still applicable for reference

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

Perf of 7900 gre and 4070 super alongside 6800xt and 3080

You arent losing much going to a 6800xt or 3080 so imo better off cutting gpu cost by a decent chunk and going for a used 6800xt or 3080 unless used is unavailable

Btw what country?

And is this a full build or just a gpu upgrade?

58 minutes ago, ImWilly said:

If your use case is purely for gaming as you have mentioned, I would recommend RX 7900 GRE, but if you want to have some productivity or even AI related work use in the future and want the best cooling, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 Super Windforce OC is obviously the best and optimized for that kind of work

I'm actually a little unsure about productivity and AI work. I used to edit videos in Davinci Resolve and it was noticeble slow at times with my current GPU. Right now I'm not editing videos anymore but you never know, if I get time over I would really like to get back it and it's summer soon. Do you have any opinions on Ray Tracing  and other modern technologies? Is it worth it or not?

16 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

You arent losing much going to a 6800xt or 3080 so imo better off cutting gpu cost by a decent chunk and going for a used 6800xt or 3080 unless used is unavailable

Btw what country?

And is this a full build or just a gpu upgrade?

I'm from Sweden. Finding used PC parts at good prices I find is much harder here compared to the US. The 6000 and 3000 series are in other words out of the equation. The new GPU is only an upgrade. 

2 hours ago, PapaAquaWet said:

used to edit videos in Davinci Resolve and it was noticeble slow at times with my current GPU. Right now I'm not editing videos anymore but you never know

Well, based on reviews, NVIDIA does performs better on DaVinci Resolve, but it doesn't mean that Radeon counterpart is useless

If you will do some small video editing in the future (or once in a while), but do gaming way much more, I would say get that Radeon RX 7900 GRE (or the 6800 depending on your budget)

A few quicker minutes of rendering DaVinci Resolve on NVIDIA GPU doesn't justify more cost while performs a bit worse on gaming compared to Radeon

Do you have any opinions on Ray Tracing  and other modern technologies? Is it worth it or not?

Although NVIDIA performs better on Ray Tracing compared to Radeon, I would say it's still not worth it for the current gen

Ray Tracing is still a "new concept", and will have massive improvement either on how it works, and the hardware to process it. It's basically the "new morse law" (which ironically NVIDIA CEO claim has died)

I expect that in the next iteration of NVIDIA GPU will have huge AI/RT boost performance (not in raw performance though), and as RT technique improved in the future, it's still not a game changing experience in the current model.

The only "best game changing" current RT implementation is Cyberpunk 2077's overdrive, and even to enable that feature, you will need at least a RTX 4080

I attach LTT blind comparison on RT on/off, and spoiler, most average people couldn't tell the difference of RT while gaming

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

11 hours ago, ImWilly said:

Well, based on reviews, NVIDIA does performs better on DaVinci Resolve, but it doesn't mean that Radeon counterpart is useless

If you will do some small video editing in the future (or once in a while), but do gaming way much more, I would say get that Radeon RX 7900 GRE (or the 6800 depending on your budget)

A few quicker minutes of rendering DaVinci Resolve on NVIDIA GPU doesn't justify more cost while performs a bit worse on gaming compared to Radeon

Although NVIDIA performs better on Ray Tracing compared to Radeon, I would say it's still not worth it for the current gen

Ray Tracing is still a "new concept", and will have massive improvement either on how it works, and the hardware to process it. It's basically the "new morse law" (which ironically NVIDIA CEO claim has died)

I expect that in the next iteration of NVIDIA GPU will have huge AI/RT boost performance (not in raw performance though), and as RT technique improved in the future, it's still not a game changing experience in the current model.

The only "best game changing" current RT implementation is Cyberpunk 2077's overdrive, and even to enable that feature, you will need at least a RTX 4080

I attach LTT blind comparison on RT on/off, and spoiler, most average people couldn't tell the difference of RT while gaming

Ok thanks for your answer. Yeah I've watched the LTT video before on RTX but it was more than 2 years ago. The technology has improved with newer models and games for what I can understand. If you say that RT are still too early and isn't implemented that well in most games or too overhyped right now then the 7900GRE seems like a better option in gaming for the price. The store that sells the Gigabyte model for ($660) has sold out the GPU and it doesn't say when it will return but it says I can order it. On other stores the same Gigabyte model goes for $698. 

However there's other 7900  GRE models from other companies that's also on the cheaper side

Asus Radeon RX 7900 GRE Dual OC Edition HDMI 3xDP 16GB $673

Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 GRE Pulse 2xHDMI 2xDP 16GB $675

I've not seen reviews on them so I don't know how well the cooling solution performs (how loud the fans are). If I see a 4070 Super for a really good price that's comparable to the 7900 in the upcomming week or two I'll maybe think about getting a 4070 super. I've heard nightmare stories of the 12VHPWR adapter for the Nvidia cards but it has been on the more power hungry models like 4080 and 4090. I haven't heard of melting adapters for the 4070 super but it makes me a little bit worried.

Sapphire only make exclusively Radeon GPU, it's one of the best one aside from huge known brand such as MSI, Gigabyte or ASUS

There's only 2 variant of Sapphire GPU, Pulse and Nitro+

Pulse is the basic approach, GPU with working fans

While for Nitro+, it has RGB and a bit heftier cooling

I have Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XT on my current rig and it's still doing fine after 1 year of use

IMO, if you want ASUS GPU, better take the TUF (focus on "durability") or the Strix (the flagship type). Other than that, it's not really that special, although all GPU from on-board manufacturer has same raw performance in gaming

If I see a 4070 Super for a really good price that's comparable to the 7900 in the upcomming week or two I'll maybe think about getting a 4070 super.

That's a good idea, just keep watching on the store website, if there's a great sale, it might be a better deal than Radeon counterpart

I've heard nightmare stories of the 12VHPWR adapter for the Nvidia cards but it has been on the more power hungry models like 4080 and 4090. I haven't heard of melting adapters for the 4070 super but it makes me a little bit worried.

Well, 4070S doesn't have power requirement of 450W or beyond, so that's probably why

To be positive thinking, it's not likely for 4070S connector will have melt down. Just make sure that when you plug the power connector, it should be connected all the way in

Phone:

18 hours ago, PapaAquaWet said:

Ok thanks for your answer. Yeah I've watched the LTT video before on RTX but it was more than 2 years ago. The technology has improved with newer models and games for what I can understand. If you say that RT are still too early and isn't implemented that well in most games or too overhyped right now then the 7900GRE seems like a better option in gaming for the price. The store that sells the Gigabyte model for ($660) has sold out the GPU and it doesn't say when it will return but it says I can order it. On other stores the same Gigabyte model goes for $698. 

However there's other 7900  GRE models from other companies that's also on the cheaper side

I've not seen reviews on them so I don't know how well the cooling solution performs (how loud the fans are). If I see a 4070 Super for a really good price that's comparable to the 7900 in the upcomming week or two I'll maybe think about getting a 4070 super. I've heard nightmare stories of the 12VHPWR adapter for the Nvidia cards but it has been on the more power hungry models like 4080 and 4090. I haven't heard of melting adapters for the 4070 super but it makes me a little bit worried.

Sapphire generally holds a good reputation. I've wanted one ofor years, but the timing of their releases have always somehow been bad for me.

Here is the review of the Pulse GRE

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/sapphire-radeon-rx-7900-gre-pulse/

Proshop has is for a decent price currently.

On 4/23/2024 at 4:39 AM, PapaAquaWet said:

I'm from Sweden. Finding used PC parts at good prices I find is much harder here compared to the US. The 6000 and 3000 series are in other words out of the equation. The new GPU is only an upgrade. 

Remember that all these US prices are without sales tax. I've found that if you remove that, and take some import expences into account, the Danish prices are not so much off compared to US prices. I assume its the same in Sweden. It was really bad during the GPU shortage - at some point I calculated that the US price vs DK price was around 1:10, eventhough the exchangerate is around 6-7 DKK pr USDollar. Then again, the 25% salestax on the Danish sales tag vs US pricing without tax does play a big part.

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

18 hours ago, PapaAquaWet said:

+1 for Asus Dual 7900 gre. If I was to get a new card, I would get that one. Has the perfect cooler and size is not massive.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

On 4/24/2024 at 1:08 PM, DoctorNick said:

+1 for Asus Dual 7900 gre. If I was to get a new card, I would get that one. Has the perfect cooler and size is not massive.

I looked now at the size of the "Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 GRE Pulse" and it's MASSIVE! It's 320mm in height which is insane. I thought it would be comparable in size to the 4070 super but it's absolutely not. After looking at my case I can almost with certainty confirm that my case "Phanteks P300" is not big enough for the card. It says on the P300 that it can take maximally a 330mm card but I have to think about that the front fans themselves can take some room aswell.

Are the coolers on the Asus version good enough for the 7900 gre since it's only 280mm in height? Are they comparable to the other GPUs that's 320mm? I mainly ask because of noise level but also because the overclocking results are really promising for the Saphire Pulse and nitro models of this card.

Otherwise I'll get a 7800XT since it's only today for some more hours are on a special discount. Or I'll wait for the 4070 super to go down in price which it currently doesn't look like it will. The 4070 super have been for the same price for a long time and even maybe goes up a little by time.

The Sapphire RX Radeon 7800 XT Pulse goes only for today for $541

The cheapest 7900 that I know could fit my case the following:

Asus Radeon RX 7900 GRE Dual OC Edition HDMI 3xDP 16GB $673

Thea cheapest 4070 Super goes for $734  and it's multiple models for that exact price.

10 hours ago, PapaAquaWet said:

I looked now at the size of the "Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 GRE Pulse" and it's MASSIVE! It's 320mm in height which is insane. I thought it would be comparable in size to the 4070 super but it's absolutely not. After looking at my case I can almost with certainty confirm that my case "Phanteks P300" is not big enough for the card. It says on the P300 that it can take maximally a 330mm card but I have to think about that the front fans themselves can take some room aswell.

Are the coolers on the Asus version good enough for the 7900 gre since it's only 280mm in height? Are they comparable to the other GPUs that's 320mm? I mainly ask because of noise level but also because the overclocking results are really promising for the Saphire Pulse and nitro models of this card.

Otherwise I'll get a 7800XT since it's only today for some more hours are on a special discount. Or I'll wait for the 4070 super to go down in price which it currently doesn't look like it will. The 4070 super have been for the same price for a long time and even maybe goes up a little by time.

The Sapphire RX Radeon 7800 XT Pulse goes only for today for $541

The cheapest 7900 that I know could fit my case the following:

Asus Radeon RX 7900 GRE Dual OC Edition HDMI 3xDP 16GB $673

Thea cheapest 4070 Super goes for $734  and it's multiple models for that exact price.

I dont have any numbers for 7900 GRE dual, but 4070 super dual uses the same cooler and it's looking very good, even compared to bigger coolers:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-geforce-rtx-4070-dual/37.html

image.png.8071b406be363397a2ad743b430d33fc.png

More info on site btw

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price.