Monitor dark after PC waking up

A bit of a weird situation. My beloved old monitor (Dell P2715Q) always briefly flickered from time to time, but as of a few days ago it started to stay dark after my desktop wakes up for the first time (from sleep, not a shutdown). The GPU is a Gigabyte's GTX 3070, hooked up via mDP cable. There is no "no signal" message, what there is is basically nothing -- and the monitor does not respond to its own buttons. When you press them while it reports no signal (or when there is signal and everything works), it does open its own menus. Nothing related in the event viewer that I can see. What seems to fix the situation is unplugging and replugging the cable specifically on the graphics card side -- after that everything just works normally and if I put the computer back to sleep, everything wakes up normally. I am supposed to get a new HDMI cable delivered tonight for testing, but any and all thoughts will be appreciated. For what it's worth, Aorus Master Z690 motherboard, 64GB DDR5, 12700KF, windows 11, EVGA 1000W PSU. Not a gamer, the rig is for scientific computations at home, but specifically the GPU does not get stressed. Thanks!

13 minutes ago, hoardofbaboons said:

A bit of a weird situation. My beloved old monitor (Dell P2715Q) always briefly flickered from time to time, but as of a few days ago it started to stay dark after my desktop wakes up for the first time (from sleep, not a shutdown). The GPU is a Gigabyte's GTX 3070, hooked up via mDP cable. There is no "no signal" message, what there is is basically nothing -- and the monitor does not respond to its own buttons. When you press them while it reports no signal (or when there is signal and everything works), it does open its own menus. Nothing related in the event viewer that I can see. What seems to fix the situation is unplugging and replugging the cable specifically on the graphics card side -- after that everything just works normally and if I put the computer back to sleep, everything wakes up normally. I am supposed to get a new HDMI cable delivered tonight for testing, but any and all thoughts will be appreciated. For what it's worth, Aorus Master Z690 motherboard, 64GB DDR5, 12700KF, windows 11, EVGA 1000W PSU. Not a gamer, the rig is for scientific computations at home, but specifically the GPU does not get stressed. Thanks!

With Windows 11, its possible that its auto enabled HDR. I don't see that as supported for your display specifically, but its not out of the realm of possibility. The monitor shouldn't even support it by the DP1.2 input alone.

Even lower end 'HDR capable' displays can see this problem, where they dont have the contrast to actually drive HDR.

I would check display settings to see if HDR got enabled somehow. You can also check Nvidia Control Panel to make sure there's no forced display color settings or video color/image settings.

To add, you might be able to force the displayport version, which would be DP 1.2. The monitor might be able to run 1.1 and is set to auto. Potentially another variable.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Check Windows Power Settings,

maybe disabling Fast Startup could help.

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

I explicitly disabled fast startup a long time ago for a different reason, my HDR does not seem to be either enabled or supported...

Screenshot 2024-04-22 131253.png

In the nvidia control panel, default color settings were on, so I changed them to these, not sure if that makes any difference...

Screenshot 2024-04-22 133120.png

And now i remembered why this thing is not sitting on hdmi: it is only 30Hz at 4K. It was a long time coming, so I welcome recommendations for an IPS or similar 4K monitor with great color reproduction and not so much gaming. 😉 

On HDMI, no signal after waking up. Did my GPU just crap its pants or is it the monitor?

Updated to the latest BIOS, but still very tempted to try another monitor.

So, I have an update some may find helpful. In all likelihood, the issue was heat -- specifically on the monitor side. The monitor back faces a giant window on the 24th floor of a high-rise building and judicious use of blinds seems to have resolved the situation.