Do I also upgrade CPU now or wait for Zen 5?

I have a R7 2700X and 2070 super now. I am planning to upgrade to a 4070 super and also get a 1440p monitor.

I will eventually want to get a better CPU to pair with a 4070 super, but I'm not sure if I should get a 7600x now or wait until the new generation comes out and I could get a 8600x?

7 minutes ago, txmatt1214 said:

I have a R7 2700X and 2070 super now. I am planning to upgrade to a 4070 super and also get a 1440p monitor.

I will eventually want to get a better CPU to pair with a 4070 super, but I'm not sure if I should get a 7600x now or wait until the new generation comes out and I could get a 8600x?

7600x is a really strong CPU and pairs really nicely with the 4070 Super.

Dont get the Ryzen 8000 series as they are powerful APU's and the Ryzen 7000 CPU are actually faster in gaming performance when paired with a descrete GPU over a 8000 series with a discrete GPU.

We have started to see almost all AM5 motherboard get a new BIOS update that supports the upcoming Ryzen 9000 series so its not too far off. We obviously don't know the release date but I would guestimate within a couple of months.

Its definitely up to you if you want to wait or not.

You can always get a 7600x now and update the BIOS and put a 9800X3D in the motherboard in a few years to bring more life into the platform 🙂 AM5 has a huge update path.

7600x will be a huge leap over your 2700x.

26 minutes ago, txmatt1214 said:

if I should get a 7600x now or wait until the new generation comes out and I could get a 8600x?

Just to build upon what @Hinjima already said, Ryzen 8000 is already out and its using the same Zen4 platform Ryzen 7000 is, but organized in a slightly different way with an emphasis on its integrated graphics. The faster chips are the normal Ryzen 7000 line. 

The next generation you'd upgrade to would be Ryzen 9000 which will be Zen5.

Sorry for my ignorance. I mean Ryzen 9000, whatever the next version of the 7600x would be. @GuiltySpark_ @Hinjima

With it seeming likely for it to release in the latter half of 2024, should I just bite the bullet now and get the 7600x or deal with my 2700x for another 6 months give or take?

8 minutes ago, txmatt1214 said:

Sorry for my ignorance. I mean Ryzen 9000, whatever the next version of the 7600x would be. @GuiltySpark_ @Hinjima

With it seeming likely for it to release in the latter half of 2024, should I just bite the bullet now and get the 7600x or deal with my 2700x for another 6 months give or take?

You can enjoy a new system now or later, you're not really going to be missing much. CPU uplift is nice for those of us into CPU's but if your system is well balanced, you'd really should be relying on the GPU for performance. If you really feel the need, as @Hinjima said you can swap in a 9700x3D/9800x3D sometime in 2025 if you feel the need. 

Frankly I don't think its going to matter, a 7600/7600x is plenty fast enough for a 4070 Super.

17 minutes ago, txmatt1214 said:

No worries!  Just wanted to make sure 🙂

The 7600x and 4070 super that you plan on buying will be a massive jump over your current system and be very well balanced.

Just because a new CPU architecture comes out doesn't magically make the previous gen worse right?

Its still a strong performer.

Just invest in a decent B650 motherboard so you can put a higher end Ryzen 9000 series CPU in it later down the line 🙂

We do expect AMD to talk about or even announce Ryzen 9000 between June 4th and June 7th at computex 2024.

It definitely is a tough call with the 9000 series around the corner but I would personally get the 7600x and 4070 Super now and have a damn good time and upgrade the CPU later 🙂

Lets say in 2026 or 2027 that you want to put a 9800X3D and an RTX 6070 Super in the system and be good to go for another couple of years without upgrading any other components. Easy peasy 🙂

I am personally waiting for the 9800X3D that should release sometime next year.

2 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Just because a new CPU architecture comes out doesn't magically make the previous gen worse right?

Man, I wish more people understood this mentality. 

7 minutes ago, txmatt1214 said:

Amazing. Thank you both! I'll probably go with getting it now.

Excellent 🙂  I can recommend 'MSI B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI or the B650 AORUS ELITE AX'.

Personal experience with both ( 30+ AM5 systems built )

If you want you can check this video by Hardware Unboxed or read their article, I will link both.

https://www.techspot.com/review/2699-amd-b650-motherboards/

51 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Excellent 🙂  I can recommend 'MSI B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI or the B650 AORUS ELITE AX'.

Personal experience with both ( 30+ AM5 systems built )

If you want you can check this video by Hardware Unboxed or read their article, I will link both.

https://www.techspot.com/review/2699-amd-b650-motherboards/

solid boards though theyre abit on the pricier side for am5 and even a b650m hdv is more than enough for most ppl (vrms will handle an overclocked 7950x, 14 usb a + 2 usbc, 10000+ ddr5 capability for future cpus)

for other board options theres the aformentioned b650m hdv, b650-s wifi/gaming plus wifi, b650 eagle ax/gaming x ax, and the b650 pg lightning

hdv is "entry" level

b650-s/eagle are a tier below the aorus elite and tomahawk (expect worse i/o) but usually alot cheaper

pg lightning is equivalent to the aorus elite/tomahawk afaik and also cheaper

theres also a b650e taichi lite which is anong the cheapest of the high end boards but it has stuff like usb 4 on the rear i/o, postcode, eclk for x3d overclocking, etc. id usually reccomend it over a tomahawk or aorus elite cause if you are already able to spend on a board like that without nuking your cpu or gpu (ex 7800x3d + 7900xtx or 4070tis) you might aswell spend abit more

btw what country?

and budget?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Yjq2wg

heres a reference

if you are actually in the us go for a microcenter 7700x or 7800x3d bundle

7 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

stuff like usb 4 on the rear i/o

Little off topic as a board like that is ridiculous overkill for someone like the OP but it only has a single USB4 port.

14 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Little off topic as a board like that is ridiculous overkill for someone like the OP but it only has a single USB4 port.

i mean if youve already maxed out specs like 7800x3d + 7900xtx/4070tis and can spend extra on a tomahawk youd probably be able to go straight for a taichi lite thatll be noticably better features and i/o wise

imo still a waste of money but atleast you get something out of it, hdv is still best value though so thats the thing ill almost always reccomend depending on other options