Which PSU should I choose?

baibars

Hi, I'm going to buy a new system in 2 months and I'm not going to build it myself rather there is a website which offers already built systems and there are 2 different cases with PSUs that I can choose.

I know that they are not top-tier PSUs and I've already checked the tier list and I'm planning to buy another PSU in the future but still I have to choose and prices are the same.

First one is XPG Valor Air Rainbow RGB Mid Tower case with XPG Kyber 750W 80+ PSU

Other one is VENTO VG10F RGB ATX Hyper Pro case with FSP HYPER H3-650 80+ Bronze Pro PSU

XPG is a subsidiary of ADATA and FSP is a Taiwanese company too. Yet, the thing is I could not find reliable reviews so I thought that I should ask you guys.

XPG looks more reliable what do you think?

This is nerd stuff, but bear with me.

The XPG Kyber unit is a subsidiary of Adata, but all of the power supplies are just CWT units. And it’s a decent CWT unit on their newer GPW platform, they keep the cost low by keeping it non modular, and the wattage variants are minor component changes. It’s still modern, atx 3.1, new stuff. Just cost cut tech.

The FSP hyper H3 is also decent but it’s just of an overall lower tier of product, and a bit older. Just 80+ bronze, atx 2.51, etc.

FSP is a first party, they make their own power supplies. And it’s a reputable unit and product line, just in this case it’s inferior overall to the XPG option.

Id go with the XPG Kyber

26 minutes ago, 8tg said:

This is nerd stuff, but bear with me.

The XPG Kyber unit is a subsidiary of Adata, but all of the power supplies are just CWT units. And it’s a decent CWT unit on their newer GPW platform, they keep the cost low by keeping it non modular, and the wattage variants are minor component changes. It’s still modern, atx 3.1, new stuff. Just cost cut tech.

The FSP hyper H3 is also decent but it’s just of an overall lower tier of product, and a bit older. Just 80+ bronze, atx 2.51, etc.

FSP is a first party, they make their own power supplies. And it’s a reputable unit and product line, just in this case it’s inferior overall to the XPG option.

Id go with the XPG Kyber

Thank you it's really informative. I've got another question.

For an additional $100 I can switch to Asus TUF Gaming GT301 case with ASUS TUF GAMING 750B 750W 80+ Bronze 135mm PSU. Do you think that it is crucial for the safety of the system or would it still be safe with Kyber?

I do not want to regret not spending $100 and get my system burnt in the future.

1 minute ago, baibars said:

Thank you it's really informative. I've got another question.

For an additional $100 I can switch to Asus TUF Gaming GT301 case with ASUS TUF GAMING 750B 750W 80+ Bronze 135mm PSU. Do you think that it is crucial for the safety of the system or would it still be safe with Kyber?

I do not want to regret not spending $100 and get my system burnt in the future.

Actual psu failure is extremely rare, it’s just one of those things where when it happens, people talk about it. You don’t really see comparatively as many stories about “my psu worked as expected for 10 years”.

Any of those choices would be fine in terms of overall quality. None of them have any inherent risk even compared to eachother.

Generally speaking like 99% of what you see from major brands is fine from a product quality standpoint. It’s pretty rare that a big name puts out a genuinely bad product, to the extent that the few times it happened on a large scale, it’s well known.

Such as gigabyte GP-PxxxGM units, really old orange label corsair VS series from the early 2010’s, anything diablotek, etc. 

tldr it’s just not something to be super worried about unless you’re buying true no name, bottom of the barrel tier power supplies, work within the spec limits of your psu and it’ll work as expected 

That asus tuf option isn’t bad, but it’s just another very average budget 750w bronze rated non modular psu. It’s still not as good as the XPG Kyber.

27 minutes ago, 8tg said:

Actual psu failure is extremely rare, it’s just one of those things where when it happens, people talk about it. You don’t really see comparatively as many stories about “my psu worked as expected for 10 years”.

Any of those choices would be fine in terms of overall quality. None of them have any inherent risk even compared to eachother.

Generally speaking like 99% of what you see from major brands is fine from a product quality standpoint. It’s pretty rare that a big name puts out a genuinely bad product, to the extent that the few times it happened on a large scale, it’s well known.

Such as gigabyte GP-PxxxGM units, really old orange label corsair VS series from the early 2010’s, anything diablotek, etc. 

tldr it’s just not something to be super worried about unless you’re buying true no name, bottom of the barrel tier power supplies, work within the spec limits of your psu and it’ll work as expected 

That asus tuf option isn’t bad, but it’s just another very average budget 750w bronze rated non modular psu. It’s still not as good as the XPG Kyber.

Thank you so much, now I do not have worry. Also, I hope I'm not bothering you but you seem to be an expert in hardware so I'd like to share the system that I'm going to buy with you so that you may evaluate and maybe propose some changes. If I'm bothering you just ignore this message.

Motherboard: Asus Prime B650M-R 7200MHz DDR5

CPU: 7500F

GPU: Asus Dual RX 7800 XT TUF OC 16GB

SSD: Adata 850 Lite 1TB (or Kingston KC3000 for $50)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x16 GB 5600MHZ CL40

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Peerless Assassin

Case + PSU: aforementioned XPG Kyber 750W one