Is my PSU dying?

Nick980

Hi all, I'm having an issue that started yesterday and has gotten progressively worse today. Basically my PC is randomly shutting down and the PSU has to be unplugged and turned off for a while before the PC will attempt to turn on. 

Initially it was a random problem but now I'm struggling to get it to boot into windows or even post before it turns off.

So far I've unplugged everything from the back, all the internal connectors and case fans, removed the sound card, all but 1 ram stick and I've even tried booting without the GPU in the system but it still has same issue. There's no RGB in the case at the moment

Current PSU is a Corsair RM1000X which I've had since 2017 I think and uses the braided type 4 cables.

Not sure what else to test with it but thought I'd see what people on here think before throwing money at a new PSU.

PC Specs

5800X3D

ASUS X570-E

Corsair 3600mhz CL16 DDR4 4x8GB

ASUS Tuf 4080

Sound Blaster AE-7

Thanks in advance for any help

How is the PSU connected to the GPU? Which cables and how many seperate cables?

17 minutes ago, Nick980 said:

OK, that's the correct one. Don't know if it's dying but there is some protection kicking in and shut down the PSU. Do you have the 3x 8 pin to 12 pin adapter that came with the GPU? If yes you can try with that adapter and connect it with 3 seperate PCIe cables to the PSU.

15 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

OK, that's the correct one. Don't know if it's dying but there is some protection kicking in and shut down the PSU. Do you have the 3x 8 pin to 12 pin adapter that came with the GPU? If yes you can try with that adapter and connect it with 3 seperate PCIe cables to the PSU.

Will have to dig out the box tomorrow and see if that makes a difference 

1 hour ago, Nick980 said:

Not sure what else to test with it but thought I'd see what people on here think before throwing money at a new PSU.

If you bought the power supply brand new, it should still be under warranty.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

39 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

If you bought the power supply brand new, it should still be under warranty.

Sadly I bought it second hand so no warranty