Jump to content

Help with pc build Ultra budget

Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
3 hours ago, BahnStormer said:

excellent

which region/city/town and I'll trawl eBay/GumTree and see if I can find anything that stands out?

 

For example, this one!

 

 

Damn it even has a decent psu. Thats a rare thing!

 

Means if your friend ever wanta to upgrade they dont first need to replace the psu as that thing ia good enough for a lot of gpu's

Budget (including currency): $500 Aud

Country: Australia

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Valorant Minecraft Fortnite

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Low settings fine 60hz 1080p
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/48JHTY already got this list its for a friend who wants help building pc He wants all new i recommended used but this is the best i could throw together any suggested improvements? Save a bit of money here and their ideally cut cost down to 500-515 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ordinarily I'd recommend starting with used parts (or even a used prebuilt) at that kind of budget, but you already tried that and you friend didn't listen. 🤷‍♂️

 

See if you can at least talk them into a used case. If you can find one locally for free, that will get the rest of your build right on-budget.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Its gonna suck at fortnite and valorant but will so 60fps in minecraft lower settings.

 

However the cpu and board wont work it doesnt have the bios needed to run it.

 

Honestly be harsh and say that the computer will just suck going new and either they save up or have to go used.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sychicyuto said:

Budget (including currency): $500 Aud

Country: Australia

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Valorant Minecraft Fortnite

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Low settings fine 60hz 1080p
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/48JHTY already got this list its for a friend who wants help building pc He wants all new i recommended used but this is the best i could throw together any suggested improvements? Save a bit of money here and their ideally cut cost down to 500-515 

 

Not enough money for something worthwhile new, either go used or save cash up to at least 1000 Australian rupees

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Even a R5 1600 + GTX1050Ti will be way WAY better than a 5600G using onboard graphics.

 

Where are you based in Oz? (nearest city that you wouldn't mind driving to? Note that the more remote you are or the less distance you want to travel, the longer you'll have to wait)

 

Recommendation would be to look on eBay/Gumtree for an old ex-gaming rig that is collection only and isn't being hyped too much as a "gaming PC".

 

I'd fish around for Ryzen 5 3600 and at LEAST a GTX1050Ti, but GTX1060 should be well within budget (likely a GTX1070/GTX1660S), 16Gb RAM, 250Gb SSD minimum (can add budget SSD cheaply for your games library).... try to get a B450/B550 motherboard and 16Gb DDR4 3200MT/sec or better.... so you have a good upgrade path. "Prebuilts" are fine, but make sure they're generic parts, not Dell/HP proprietary cases and PSUs, etc as those are a dead-end and suck when you want to put a newer CPU or bigger PSU in later. 

 

I am assuming you have the monitor already? Need a keyboard/mouse?

 

e.g. a quick look around on Gumtree... but pointless searching without knowing where as Oz is a BIG place for local collection 😉

 

(for the Americans out there, driving from Perth WA to Cairns QLD is 400 miles MORE than driving New York to San Francisco.... and it would feel even further as there there's almost nothing enroute!!)

 

QLD:

Toowong - AUD400 for a Ryzen 5 1600 + GTX1060 + 16Gb DDR4 + 1Tb SSD.

 

Ormiston - AUD450 for a Ryzen 5 3600 + RX5700XT + 16Gb DDR4 + case, PSU and storage... and some other parts that you can sell for $100 to fund the motherboard... but there is no motherboard! A project, but viable?

 

Chapel Hill - AUD500 i5 6600K 5700XT 16Gb RAM, 256Gb SSD. Ready to go, but poor upgrade path. Not really recommended TBH.

 

VIC:

Greenvale - AUD650 (but ask if ~AUD500?) - Ryzen 5 3600X, GTX1080, 16Gb DDR4, great case and PSU - probably won't fly at AUD500, but there will be others like this with something like a GTX1070 or GTX1660S for ~AUD500.  

 

Melbourne City - AUD450 Ryzen 5 3600X, 16Gb, GTX1060, 1Tb SSD.  LINK (note that this is somebody building these for profit, so there will be private sales for less or where you'll get good RAM and a GTX1070 for AUD500).

 

Brunswick West - AUD500 - Ryzen 5 3600, GTX1660Super, B450, great PSU, 16Gb decent DDR4 RAM, 500Gb SSD, 1Tb HDD, really good Logitech genuine gaming mouse and keyboard too! IMHO THE CLEAR WINNER! LINK (just depends on your location as this could be a 4 day round trip if you live in Perth!)

My workstation/gamer: Ryzen9 5900X@5Ghz, AC Freezer2 280mm AIO, ASUS TUF X570PRO, RTX3080Ti FE, 32Gb TridentZ DDR4-3600C14, M.2 1Tb WDSN850, M.2 1Tb WDSN550, 2x 8Tb WD80EFAX, Corsair HX850, LianLi O11 Air Mini + 3x NF-A14's, Gigabyte M27Q (27"/1440P/170Hz), Asus PA248 (24"/1200P/60Hz), Dell WFP2408 (24"/1200P/60Hz), G815 kbd, G502 mouse, Sony WH-H910N, ModMic Wireless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jaslion said:

 

However the cpu and board wont work it doesnt have the bios needed to run it.

Not correct since at least mid-2022.  That’s one of the most popular AM4 boards.  It’ll have a zen 3 BIOS.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/21/2024 at 12:51 PM, jaslion said:

However the cpu and board wont work it doesnt have the bios needed to run it.

Is there something specific about that Gigabyte B450M DS3H that we need to know about?

 

Initially the board suppliers said they weren't supported, but that was mid-2020 and there was such a huge outcry that by the time Zen3 released (Q4 2020) all B450 board manufacturers were providing BIOS updates.

 

I thought there might be something special about that board, but even the rev1.x has all the Zen3 (Ryzen 5000 series) CPU's on the support list:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450M-DS3H-rev-1x/support#support-cpu 

 

B550 does have PCIe gen4 support and better minimum standard on the VRMs, but other that that, B450 is perfectly fine on 99% of AM4 systems:

 

Two use-cases where they will fall short:

1) there are a handful of of B450's that will struggle with overclocking the 5900X/5950X due to VRM temps

2) there are certain very low end GPUs that only use PCIe 8x* (or even 4x**!), so they NEED PCIe gen4 to cope with reduced bandwidth.... high end cards use 16x, so PCIe gen 3 is plenty all the way up to a RTX4090.... although then I'd question why you're skimping on the motherboard 😉

 

*RTX4060 🤢

** RX6500XT 🤢🤮

 

I've been running a 5800X3D on a spare rig that only has an entry level B450M (ASUS Prime rev1!!) for nearly a year now - I gave it a good thrashing with some burn-in tests and it was hitting all-core boost no problems.

My workstation/gamer: Ryzen9 5900X@5Ghz, AC Freezer2 280mm AIO, ASUS TUF X570PRO, RTX3080Ti FE, 32Gb TridentZ DDR4-3600C14, M.2 1Tb WDSN850, M.2 1Tb WDSN550, 2x 8Tb WD80EFAX, Corsair HX850, LianLi O11 Air Mini + 3x NF-A14's, Gigabyte M27Q (27"/1440P/170Hz), Asus PA248 (24"/1200P/60Hz), Dell WFP2408 (24"/1200P/60Hz), G815 kbd, G502 mouse, Sony WH-H910N, ModMic Wireless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BahnStormer said:

Initially the board suppliers said they weren't supported, but that was mid-2020 and there was such a huge outcry that by the time Zen3 released (Q4 2020) all B450 board manufacturers were providing BIOS updates.

Yeah but it doesn't have any bios to run the 5000 series out of the box. They never got that update applied to them and it was up to the end user to do so.

 

Hence why it won't work. It doesn't have the bios to run a 5000 series chip on it unless you update it and you need a different cpu for that.

 

On 4/21/2024 at 4:43 PM, Queen Chrysalis said:

Not correct since at least mid-2022.  That’s one of the most popular AM4 boards.  It’ll have a zen 3 BIOS.

I know just out of the box this board simply doesn't have the bios needed to run 5000 series. You need to update it with a different cpu.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, jaslion said:

. They never got that update applied to them and it was up to the end user to do so.

8 hours ago, jaslion said:

I know just out of the box this board simply doesn't have the bios needed to run 5000 series. You need to update it with a different cpu.

Yeah they do.  I bough a b450mac in July of 22 and it came with a zen 3 compatible BIOS that had been released in like May of 22.  They didn’t make all of them in 2018 and just sit on them.  They’ve been in production and usually come with the newest BIOS.  Same for an A320 DS3H I bought in August of ‘19 being Zen 2 capable despite it being a 2017 board.  I would cast absolutely insane doubt that a B450 DS3H sold in 2024 would have a pre-Zen 3 BIOS, as it’s among the most popular AM4 boards and people have been buying them for Zen 3 consistently for the last 2 s.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/22/2024 at 10:27 PM, Sychicyuto said:

i convinced him to buy used

excellent

which region/city/town and I'll trawl eBay/GumTree and see if I can find anything that stands out?

 

For example, this one!

 

On 4/21/2024 at 2:16 PM, BahnStormer said:

Brunswick West - AUD500 - Ryzen 5 3600, GTX1660Super, B450, great PSU, 16Gb decent DDR4 RAM, 500Gb SSD, 1Tb HDD, really good Logitech genuine gaming mouse and keyboard too! IMHO THE CLEAR WINNER! LINK (just depends on your location as this could be a 4 day round trip if you live in Perth!)

 

My workstation/gamer: Ryzen9 5900X@5Ghz, AC Freezer2 280mm AIO, ASUS TUF X570PRO, RTX3080Ti FE, 32Gb TridentZ DDR4-3600C14, M.2 1Tb WDSN850, M.2 1Tb WDSN550, 2x 8Tb WD80EFAX, Corsair HX850, LianLi O11 Air Mini + 3x NF-A14's, Gigabyte M27Q (27"/1440P/170Hz), Asus PA248 (24"/1200P/60Hz), Dell WFP2408 (24"/1200P/60Hz), G815 kbd, G502 mouse, Sony WH-H910N, ModMic Wireless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BahnStormer said:

excellent

which region/city/town and I'll trawl eBay/GumTree and see if I can find anything that stands out?

 

For example, this one!

 

 

Damn it even has a decent psu. Thats a rare thing!

 

Means if your friend ever wanta to upgrade they dont first need to replace the psu as that thing ia good enough for a lot of gpu's

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, jaslion said:

Damn it even has a decent psu. Thats a rare thing!

 

Means if your friend ever wanta to upgrade they dont first need to replace the psu as that thing ia good enough for a lot of gpu's

I know, overall build was a gem - rest of the build (incl motherboard and PSU) would have been solid for a 5800X3D and something like a RX7800XT/RTX4070Super over the next couple of years!

 

Mouse is also a really nice addition to a budget gaming build: about €60 and those G502 last forever (I'm still using my G502 Proteus Core from about 2011!).

 

However... the problem with Oz:
 

On 4/21/2024 at 2:16 PM, BahnStormer said:

(for the Americans out there, driving from Perth WA to Cairns QLD is 400 miles MORE than driving New York to San Francisco.... and it would feel even further as there there's almost nothing en route!!)

 

My workstation/gamer: Ryzen9 5900X@5Ghz, AC Freezer2 280mm AIO, ASUS TUF X570PRO, RTX3080Ti FE, 32Gb TridentZ DDR4-3600C14, M.2 1Tb WDSN850, M.2 1Tb WDSN550, 2x 8Tb WD80EFAX, Corsair HX850, LianLi O11 Air Mini + 3x NF-A14's, Gigabyte M27Q (27"/1440P/170Hz), Asus PA248 (24"/1200P/60Hz), Dell WFP2408 (24"/1200P/60Hz), G815 kbd, G502 mouse, Sony WH-H910N, ModMic Wireless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×