UCLK/EXPO problems with 7800X3D, 6000MHz RAM on ASUS B650E-E

Hi,

I recently built a new PC for a friend using the Ryzen 7800X3D, an ASUS B650E-E MB and 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast DDR5-6000, CL36-38-38 RAM (which is listed on the boards QVL).

When I first built the computer I upgraded the BIOS to the then latest version 2413.

I could not reliably get the computer to boot with EXPO enabled. It would fall back to safe mode with the SPD frequency of 4800 MHz.

I tried reseating the CPU and RAM which did not help

After downgrading the BIOS to version 2214 I can at least run the system with EXPO enabled but I cannot set UCLK to 1:1. It won't boot in that configuration.

Do you have any hints which settings I could tweak (slightly rise a voltage or something similar) to get the system to boot and run stable with UCLK 1:1? That shouldn't be a problem with 6000MHz RAM... or so I thought.

Also there are now two new BIOS versions, 2414 and 2613. I am thinking about trying an update to one of those but I fear that I might not be able to downgrade to 2214 again if I do that.

If anyone here has a reliable answer to whether I may be able to downgrade again I would much appreciate that too.

Just FYI, the changelog of the latest BIOS versions:

Version 2613

12.86 MB 2024/04/17

"Update AGESA version to Combo 1.1.7.0 patch A to support next generation AMD Ryzen™ processors
Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (SB650EE.CAP) using BIOSRenamer."

Version 2414

11.29 MB 2024/04/17

"1. Improve system stability
Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (SB650EE.CAP) using BIOSRenamer."

Version 2413
11.24 MB 2024/02/07

"Disable STAPM of AM5 Ryzen™ 8000 processors to improve system performance.
Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (SB650EE.CAP) using BIOSRenamer"

Version 2412

11.24 MB 2024/01/30

"Update AGESA version to Combo AM5 PI 1.1.0.2b
Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (SB650EE.CAP) using BIOSRenamer"

Version 2214

11.23 MB 2024/01/04

"1. Update AGESA version to Combo AM5 PI 1.1.0.1
2. Improve system stability
3. This update includes the patch for the LogoFAIL vulnerabilities
4. Support graphics card with M.2 storage

Update: just read the BIOS files with easy flash. Versions >=2414 give me an explicit "You won't be able to downgrade" warning, version 2413 does not.
So I think I won't be able to downgrade back to 2214. I read conflicting reports online on whether BIOS flashback would still be able to downgrade....

The question ow is: could "Improve system stability" in Version 2414s changelog indicate that this version might again be able to correctly use EXPO on this RAM?

1 hour ago, TheColin21 said:

Update: just read the BIOS files with easy flash. Versions >=2414 give me an explicit "You won't be able to downgrade" warning, version 2413 does not.
So I think I won't be able to downgrade back to 2214. I read conflicting reports online on whether BIOS flashback would still be able to downgrade....

The question ow is: could "Improve system stability" in Version 2414s changelog indicate that this version might again be able to correctly use EXPO on this RAM?

No idea what's going on there, just posting to let you know that it's probably better to make it clear how many stick of RAM you're using.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

2 hours ago, TheColin21 said:

Do you have any hints which settings I could tweak (slightly rise a voltage or something similar) to get the system to boot and run stable with UCLK 1:1?

The three voltages that help memory overclocking on Ryzen 7000 are VDDP, VDDIO, and vSOC. SOC voltage is the most important in 1:1 mode, so try setting it to 1.25V-1.3V and see if that helps be stable. VDDIO and VDDP can sometimes help in 1:1 mode, though their role is much less important than that of SOC and generally only help if the stock voltages are very wrong. 

I read conflicting reports online on whether BIOS flashback would still be able to downgrade....

It won't if my experience with other ASUS boards are anything to go by. 

could "Improve system stability" in Version 2414s changelog indicate that this version might again be able to correctly use EXPO on this RAM?

I doubt it. Memory compatibility hasn't really improved since AGESA version 1.0.0.7c, so as long as you're on a newer BIOS than that it should boot memory without a problem. The only things that have improved since then are high voltage mode compatibility and boot times. 

1 minute ago, Poinkachu said:

No idea what's going on there, just posting to let you know that it's probably better to make it clear how many stick of RAM you're using.

good idea, edited it in.

9 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The three voltages that help memory overclocking on Ryzen 7000 are VDDP, VDDIO, and vSOC. SOC voltage is the most important in 1:1 mode, so try setting it to 1.25V-1.3V and see if that helps be stable. VDDIO and VDDP can sometimes help in 1:1 mode, though their role is much less important than that of SOC and generally only help if the stock voltages are very wrong. 

Thanks a lot! It booted right away with 1.3V SOC. Stock was 1.265V.
It also boots with 1.28V. I'll stress test it a bit to see how it impacts temps and performance.

Now I just have to decide whether or not to update the BIOS nonetheless....