Setting up a PC without a case

GayMD_

I have a gaming PC which is around 4 years old and I want to sell it. I've bought a new case as my current case is missing the front and back panels. While I'm waiting for it to arrive I want to do some testing and troubleshooting to make sure that there's no issues with the hardware. I want to run the PC outside of the case to avoid headaches with cables and give myself easier access to the hardware. This is going to be a short term configuration and I'm probably only going to use it like that for a few hours or days. 

My idea is to put my motherboard in or on top of some cardboard box. The power supply and SSDs will be connected from outside. I will take the power button out of the old case and use it to turn on the PC. Assuming that I use this setup for no more than a few days, and that the PC will remain fairly still, would there be a significant risk of damaging any of the parts like this? What precautions should I take to avoid causing damage to the components like this?

1 hour ago, GayMD_ said:

would there be a significant risk of damaging any of the parts like this? What precautions should I take to avoid causing damage to the components like this?

Not really, aside from protecting from accumulating dust and keep your rig organized, going caseless wouldn't have risk.

1 hour ago, GayMD_ said:

cardboard box

You can use your mobo's box as mat for your mobo alternatively 

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

Piece of wood or cardboard is good. Just be carefull with the gpu. Its now entirely using the pcie slot as support and ive seen some users snap the pcie slot this way

I have built many a PC on the cardboard box the mobo came in. However, check if you've got a silicone baking mat on hand: it's a perfect thermal and electrical insulator so you won't have to worry about silliness . The screwdriver nudge start that Linus and such use is a time honored tradition: You won't break anything if you miss the pins: The worst you'll do is the equivalent of pressing reset and power at the same time.