Proper hardware to pair with my RTX 3050

Hi, this is my first post.

Yesterday I bought a second hand pc that has a RTX 3050 in it. But, I have some issues with the motherboard and cpu that comes with it, because it´s bottlenecking the card. For some reason, the seller built this system with a weird choice of components.

MOBO -> Msi B450 Thomahawk MAX II (can handle 3rd gen ryzen processors)

Processor -> AMD RYzen 5 1600 (first gen)

RAM -> Kingston Fury 2x8 3200 mhz

So my question is: Will a CPU upgrade to a Ryzen 5 3600 be enough? Or should I change mother board + cpu for something like the Ryzen 5 5600, or more?

Thank you :)

Imagen de WhatsApp 2024-04-20 a las 13.32.24_e3daf261.jpg

37 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Your motherboard will take Ryzen 5000 series with a BIOS update.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX-II/support#cpu

What kind of budget are you working with?

😮 no way! I thought I was limited to 3rd gen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahahahahah amazing news!

My budget? Well as low as possible. If I can manage to update only CPU that would be great. I´d like to keep it around 100€

46 minutes ago, catsarelion said:

, because it´s bottlenecking the card.

How have you determined this?

The board is entirely not relevant for this as its simply not bottlenecking anything.

With a bios update you can simply use a 5th gen cpu. Since its the max it may even already have the update.

Could you tell us the make and model of the psu. Something seems off about it.

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

How have you determined this?

The board is entirely not relevant for this as its simply not bottlenecking anything.

With a bios update you can simply use a 5th gen cpu. Since its the max it may even already have the update.

Could you tell us the make and model of the psu. Something seems off about it.

The psu is 3go ps900sx, it´s old but works.

I ment that the bottleneck comes from the CPU, that is a 1rst gen while my mobo was 3rd gen. But now with bios upgrade i can go to 5th gen!!!! wich is unbelievable. (also my cpu is lowering the speed of the ram from 3200mhz to 2400.
So the thing is now, whats the best cpu I can get to pair it up with my gpu 😄

4 minutes ago, catsarelion said:

I ment that the bottleneck comes from the CPU, that is a 1rst gen while my mobo was 3rd gen. But now with bios upgrade i can go to 5th gen!!!! wich is unbelievable. (also my cpu is lowering the speed of the ram from 3200mhz to 2400.

Havin an older cpu on a new board isnt a bottleneck by default fyi.

A 1600 is older yes but really shouldnt struggle to max a 3050 at all.

As for the best am4 cpu is a 5800x3d but the new 5700x3d is not far behind.

20 minutes ago, catsarelion said:

trash psu only 288w due to 12v = 24a but that should be fine even if you upgrade the cpu as long as it isnt a ryzen 9 or something and even then you can just undervolt the cpu + gpu and itll be fine, id run it into the ground till it eiter dies of natural causes or you upgrade the gpu

as for the upgrade drop in a used 5600(x) or 3600(x) and you should be good, 5700x3d or 5800x3d if you wanna max the platform out

30 minutes ago, catsarelion said:

I'm not sure at all a 1600 will bottleneck much a 3050, but on a budget upgrading to a 5500 ($100)or 5600/5600X (better, $140) will make the GPU the bottleneck

Update BIOS first !

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

37 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Havin an older cpu on a new board isnt a bottleneck by default fyi.

A 1600 is older yes but really shouldnt struggle to max a 3050 at all.

As for the best am4 cpu is a 5800x3d but the new 5700x3d is not far behind.

Well to play star citizen its falling behind..

18 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

trash psu only 288w due to 12v = 24a but that should be fine even if you upgrade the cpu as long as it isnt a ryzen 9 or something and even then you can just undervolt the cpu + gpu and itll be fine, id run it into the ground till it eiter dies of natural causes or you upgrade the gpu

as for the upgrade drop in a used 5600(x) or 3600(x) and you should be good, 5700x3d or 5800x3d if you wanna max the platform out

Ok perfect, thank you so much. My pc purpose is double. Games and BIM programs. So I´ll use it for Revit models, and games like star citizen.

11 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

I'm not sure at all a 1600 will bottleneck much a 3050, but on a budget upgrading to a 5500 ($100)or 5600/5600X (better, $140) will make the GPU the bottleneck

Update BIOS first !

Oh, really? 😄 So upgrating my CPU will outperform the RTX 3050. I mean this PC was 360€, wich I consider a bit of a rip off. What I wouldn´t want is to spend another 400€ to upgrade everything from it. 

Anyways I will aim towards the 5600, and I will consider if I can stretch my budget to get a 5700x3d or 5800x3d

1 hour ago, catsarelion said:

Well to play star citizen its falling behind..

Check gpu usage in msi afterburner. Its probably at 100%.

19 hours ago, jaslion said:

Check gpu usage in msi afterburner. Its probably at 100%.

Oh yeah, I had the built in gpu counter using 8100mb out of 8064 mb avaiable hahaha.

11 hours ago, Echothedolpin said:

I’d be careful using star citizen as a benchmark for anything.

Yeah well, for example. In hogwarts legacy, i have a very laggy experience. Whenever I am in the castle or in hogsmade or so, the game stutters while loading resources. And it´s not that the gpu can´t handle the visuals.

12 minutes ago, catsarelion said:

Oh yeah, I had the built in gpu counter using 8100mb out of 8064 mb avaiable hahaha.

Thats vram I mean gpu core usage.

Either way full vram ain a great start and alreadt shows the 1600 has 0 problem maxing a 3050.

Keep in mind a 1600 did not struggle to max a 1080ti a MUCH faster card than the 3050. A 3050 is a bit below  1070 so no sweat maxing it