GPU problem

So my PC has an RX 6800XT GPU and a Ryzen 5500 CPU and worked happily for a year and a half so far. The RX 6800XT transformer is making some bzzzz noises when above 100w but maybe it's normal.

Until I started playing Lords of the Fallen.

Just after the game crashed and I was shown the desktop suddenly I got a black monitor.

I knew that my Windows were still working because my mouse's lights were on but I had a black monitor. Later I confirmed that Windows is still running using remote desktop.

So I press reset. And I was greeted with the 5 beeps which means VGA not found. PC still POST, and Windows boot, without VGA alright but I get a black screen.

After I turned off PC and start again my GPU was magically found but my Windows had a 800x600 resolution. I found out that this is because Windows have disabled my GPU! So what I had to do was to enable the GPU through the device manager and reinstall the driver. Then I tried to play Lords of the Fallen again but I got instantly a black screen again. Then I had to do the same routine power off, power on and reinstall driver. I then tried run the Heaven benchmark and instant black screen again. And after that I was getting black screen without doing anything in particular, without any gaming just been in Windows.

I moved my GPU to another PCI slot but that didn't help much neither.

At this point I was thinking sending it back when I thought to try a different Windows installation I had. And I did just that and it worked just fine. For the time been. So I thought maybe it's the Windows and I did a restore from a system image and it worked fine on the main Windows installation too.

Hours passed and everything was fine...but then it did it again.

While I was playing Lords of the Fallen Black screen.

And I have 3 Windows installations.

And it does it on all of them. No matter if I do image restore or not.

Sometimes it works just fine. Like yesterday I was playing all day and everything was fine.

Until at night it started doing it again. And after it starts doing it it just keeps doing it again and again. Like every 10 minutes. Or I get the 5 beeps on boot and I have to switch on and off again.

And like I said it's not just the Lords of the Fallen it does that it can randomly happen on Windows too. Or at the Lightroom.

From the other hand it can pass the AMD's stress test. And can run Heaven benchmark at 300w no problem.

PSU is not an issue I have 2 more PSUs but I don't even bother. I measured the 12v rail on the GPU with a multimeter while gaming and it's fine. Plus if the PSU is not on fire then it's fine.

I also have a very old GPU the R6850 which did work the last time it's been used and I had her in a box since then, it's a bit rusty but I thought it should be fine, but when I put it on the MB and tried to POST I got the 5 beeps again so I don't know what to think about that. Maybe it's not my GPU but something else? (not the PSU!)

Anyway I also did a CMOS reset tho it worked fine for an hour or so after that I eventually got the black screen again which means that Windows disable my GPU.

So I'm not sure if it's my GPU plus the shop I bought it from has now closed and I am not sure if the representative in my country will accept the guarantee or not because they might claim that the shop had bought it from somewhere else abroad or whatnot but the most important thing is how to prove that is defective if it can work for hours without a hitch.

I think the best thing to do is to upgrade my CPU from 5500 to 7600X tho I am not sure if I am going to see much difference and that means I have to change MB and RAM and get much more RAM by the way because Lightroom leaks RAM like a colander. And then see if Windows disable my GPU again.

Full specs, PSU model?

GPU temps when gaming?

probably latest GPU drivers right?

8 minutes ago, WannaMurderMicrosoft said:

Hours passed and everything was fine...but then it did it again.

While I was playing Lords of the Fallen Black screen.

have you tried not playing Lords of the Fallen?

dialing down some settings on it, enabling fps cap/vsync?

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

13 minutes ago, podkall said:

Full specs, PSU model?

GPU temps when gaming?

probably latest GPU drivers right?

have you tried not playing Lords of the Fallen?

dialing down some settings on it, enabling fps cap/vsync?

Yeah it does it randomly too tho not as often for sure. It doesn't do it right now for example. What I have noticed is that if a lot of time has passed and it doesn't do it then it's more unlikely to happen. But if it has recently happened then it's quite likely to happen again soon.

I have to on 90fps cap. That's about 200w. Not much for a 315w GPU.

43 minutes ago, WannaMurderMicrosoft said:

Yeah it does it randomly too tho not as often for sure. It doesn't do it right now for example. What I have noticed is that if a lot of time has passed and it doesn't do it then it's more unlikely to happen. But if it has recently happened then it's quite likely to happen again soon.

I have to on 90fps cap. That's about 200w. Not much for a 315w GPU.

cap doesn't always guarantee lowered power draw, what's your PSU?

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

PCs I used before:

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

21 minutes ago, podkall said:

cap doesn't always guarantee lowered power draw, what's your PSU?

Are you thick? Read what I wrote above. Stop spreading misinformation and I don't need your ignorance about PSUs. Thank you.

i know your saying not the psu BUT hear me out
i had a similar issue as you. black screen. gpu not found etc. but for me it was only unreal games. it would pass benchmarks and everything. but i fire up a unreal game, issues. replaced gpu. worked for a while and again same issue. finally replaced psu...both cards work fine. it was the 12volt rail being unstable under certain loads at random times. why only unreal games no clue.
just a thought 🤷‍♂️

you say you have 2 more psu's? wouldnt hurt to swap one out JUST to be sure

8 hours ago, WannaMurderMicrosoft said:

Are you thick? Read what I wrote above. Stop spreading misinformation and I don't need your ignorance about PSUs. Thank you.

🤡

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

16 hours ago, WannaMurderMicrosoft said:

you haven't said anything relating to your PSU's rated power draw or it's model, how am I supposed to help you if I don't know your PSU,

fact of the matter is, even if your PSU is 200+ W above recommended, it still can be a bad PSU, it can be old or simply low quality for current standards/GPUs

PC:

PCs I used before:

On 4/17/2024 at 5:38 PM, podkall said:

you haven't said anything relating to your PSU's rated power draw or it's model, how am I supposed to help you if I don't know your PSU,

fact of the matter is, even if your PSU is 200+ W above recommended, it still can be a bad PSU, it can be old or simply low quality for current standards/GPUs

As a matter of fact even if my PSU is 200 W bellow recommended it won't cause any instability. Prove me wrong.

On 4/17/2024 at 9:16 AM, circeseye said:

i know your saying not the psu BUT hear me out
i had a similar issue as you. black screen. gpu not found etc. but for me it was only unreal games. it would pass benchmarks and everything. but i fire up a unreal game, issues. replaced gpu. worked for a while and again same issue. finally replaced psu...both cards work fine. it was the 12volt rail being unstable under certain loads at random times. why only unreal games no clue.
just a thought 🤷‍♂️

you say you have 2 more psu's? wouldnt hurt to swap one out JUST to be sure

No like I said it wasn't the PSU. I have no clue what it was. It also crashed on time spy extreme. It used to be much more stable with less RAM clock tho. I mean it was still crashing on 2400 Mhz instead of 3200 Mhz but less. And if it was the RAM I have no clue why I didn't get a blue screen instead of disabling my GPU. Anyway like I said I upgraded to Zen 4 and no more crashes.

50 minutes ago, WannaMurderMicrosoft said:

As a matter of fact even if my PSU is 200 W bellow recommended it won't cause any instability. Prove me wrong.

prove you wrong? I don't have to prove you wrong, I've seen multiple situations, like do you not see the amount of solved posts and the amount of messages I've sent here?

do you think I pull random shit out of my ass just to sound like I'm helping? fix your ego

PC:

PCs I used before:

3 hours ago, podkall said:

prove you wrong? I don't have to prove you wrong, I've seen multiple situations, like do you not see the amount of solved posts and the amount of messages I've sent here?

do you think I pull random shit out of my ass just to sound like I'm helping? fix your ego

Well I honestly haven't seen a post that has been solved by a PSU replacement. There might be some cases but I have never seen one. On the other hand I see on every post that someone always says to change the PSU. That's why I stated that my PSU is good from the beginning.

1 hour ago, WannaMurderMicrosoft said:

Well I honestly haven't seen a post that has been solved by a PSU replacement. There might be some cases but I have never seen one. On the other hand I see on every post that someone always says to change the PSU. That's why I stated that my PSU is good from the beginning.

I didn't tell you to change your PSU, I asked you what was your PSU model

PC:

PCs I used before:

6 hours ago, podkall said:

I didn't tell you to change your PSU, I asked you what was your PSU model

Well if I had told you then you would had tell me to change it lol

20 hours ago, WannaMurderMicrosoft said:

That is just factually incorrect. Like seriously, are you trolling? 

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

1 hour ago, BetteBalterZen said:

That is just factually incorrect. Like seriously, are you trolling? 

No I told you to prove me wrong. Where is the YouTube video that someone puts a 200-300-400W PSU below recommended power and the system crashes?

3 hours ago, WannaMurderMicrosoft said:

No I told you to prove me wrong. Where is the YouTube video that someone puts a 200-300-400W PSU below recommended power and the system crashes?

there's probably few videos, many more topics which have been solved by changing the PSU,

I don't understand man, what's the point of trolling,

if you're not trolling, let me simply explain how low PSU Wattage can hurt the PC,

first the components needs power to run, and they will run only if they have sufficient amount of that power, and some headroom,

you want headroom because for example GPU isn't always cranking at 100%, but when it does that's when transient spikes can hit almost double it's rated power draw,

such spikes can cause various PSU models to shut down, because of too much required wattage for them to handle, or because of the spike triggering a protection that is either too low because the PSU is low wattage or faulty,

best case your PSU protection triggers because it doesn't support the wattage or because it's faulty,

worst case the PSU explodes, yes explodes literally, or causes a surge that can fry any of the other components,

So, I am asking, is this a case of trolling or is it Dunning-Kruger effect?

PC:

PCs I used before:

As for an explenation a 10 year old would understand:

same thing if you wanted to run a GPU that needs PSU and you provide nearly half powerful PSU,

is like me removing half of your usual water and food intake.

PC:

PCs I used before:

2 hours ago, podkall said:

there's probably few videos, many more topics which have been solved by changing the PSU,

I don't understand man, what's the point of trolling,

if you're not trolling, let me simply explain how low PSU Wattage can hurt the PC,

first the components needs power to run, and they will run only if they have sufficient amount of that power, and some headroom,

you want headroom because for example GPU isn't always cranking at 100%, but when it does that's when transient spikes can hit almost double it's rated power draw,

such spikes can cause various PSU models to shut down, because of too much required wattage for them to handle, or because of the spike triggering a protection that is either too low because the PSU is low wattage or faulty,

best case your PSU protection triggers because it doesn't support the wattage or because it's faulty,

worst case the PSU explodes, yes explodes literally, or causes a surge that can fry any of the other components,

So, I am asking, is this a case of trolling or is it Dunning-Kruger effect?

Your explanation is fine, it's just not how things work in real world.

You see the people who design CPUs and GPUs are real smart.

They have invented that magical thing called power throttling that makes it real hard for any PSU to crash the system no matter how much you try.

And I have tried!