turntable speaker

stefanmz

I don't know if "is it good" or "is it high quality" are valid questions to ask when it's 9%-23% the cost of real options that don't even have built-in speakers...

image.thumb.jpeg.2756eebd830fd81f959e402191b3e0df.jpeg

5 hours ago, stefanmz said:

Should I buy it?

I'm anti-vinyl record. So, no.

Digital media is beter.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

3 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

I don't know if "is it good" or "is it high quality" are valid questions to ask when it's 9%-23% the cost of real options that don't even have built-in speakers...

image.thumb.jpeg.2756eebd830fd81f959e402191b3e0df.jpeg

I'm anti-vinyl record. So, no.

Digital media is beter.

well yeah but higher price doesn't always mean high quality. I generally want to get that audiotechnica one but it's too expensive. I am sure that one will be great quality though. Also I don't need built in speakers, I just need a headphone output. As for digital vs analog, that's irrelevant to the question so please don't say don't buy it because digital is better. I am aware of the drawbacks, I also buy cds so I like digital media but I have already decided and bought vinyl records, so please don't bother to come with that argument. I will hold off for now, but I need an expert opinion someone that actually knows not just based on price. Trust me I would have bought the audiotechnica one already if I could but it's too expensive.

Also to rephrase my question, will it play my vinyl records properly and without damaging them or without skipping and stuff? That's the only thing I care about. It looks good, it has headphone out and RCA and build quality doesn't matter too much so that's the question now

7 minutes ago, stefanmz said:

Also to rephrase my question, will it play my vinyl records properly and without damaging them or without skipping and stuff? That's the only thing I care about. It looks good, it has headphone out and RCA and build quality doesn't matter too much so that's the question now

Probably? But a turntable is the last thing you should cheap out on if you're enthusiastic about your vinyl, the Audio Technica tables are the cheapest I see vinyl enthusiasts recommend. Used turntables might be a better idea if you can find some decent stuff (go to dedicated vinyl forums and groups for this, big brands often take junk and slap their labels on) 

6 minutes ago, Cocococo said:

Probably? But a turntable is the last thing you should cheap out on if you're enthusiastic about your vinyl, the Audio Technica tables are the cheapest I see vinyl enthusiasts recommend. Used turntables might be a better idea if you can find some decent stuff (go to dedicated vinyl forums and groups for this, big brands often take junk and slap their labels on) 

hmm yeah I will ask on dedicated forums. So I should maybe wait and buy the audiotechnica one. Or some other used one. I will ask in dedicated forums and see what they think as well.

1 hour ago, stefanmz said:

well yeah but higher price doesn't always mean high quality. I generally want to get that audiotechnica one but it's too expensive. I am sure that one will be great quality though. Also I don't need built in speakers, I just need a headphone output. 

Don't buy vinyl if you want low cost. 

Vinyl is a show item. It's sound quality is worse (it doesn't support true stereo for example, it can't do deep bass and it can't reliably do high frequencies and the sound quality gets worse each time the record is used). 

You should only do vinyl if you're OK with burning money. It's the "I'm ok spending 10-1000x as much" option that has a nice tactile feel to it. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

1 hour ago, cmndr said:

Don't buy vinyl if you want low cost. 

Vinyl is a show item. It's sound quality is worse (it doesn't support true stereo for example, it can't do deep bass and it can't reliably do high frequencies and the sound quality gets worse each time the record is used). 

You should only do vinyl if you're OK with burning money. It's the "I'm ok spending 10-1000x as much" option that has a nice tactile feel to it. 

hmm yeah I know they are expensive, I already have some but I don't have a record player yet. Not very reassuring about the sound quality. I mean I am used to the sound quality of cds and hi-res digital music, I heard that vinyl has sound quality unheard of in anything else, I don't know some people really praise it. Is it really worse? Compared to the digital versions I mentioned.

2 hours ago, stefanmz said:

hmm yeah I know they are expensive, I already have some but I don't have a record player yet. Not very reassuring about the sound quality. I mean I am used to the sound quality of cds and hi-res digital music, I heard that vinyl has sound quality unheard of in anything else, I don't know some people really praise it. Is it really worse? Compared to the digital versions I mentioned.

People praise it for a few reasons. 
1. In order to master a file to a record, a bunch of compensating mechanisms need to be in place while mastering the track, this creates its own sound signature of sort which some people like. 
2. The imperfections add "character" to the sound
3. They're full of it and are acquiescing to peer pressure

#1 is actually a somewhat legitimate argument. There's no overblown bass, loudness isn't exaggerated and there's a certain "warmth" to things. These things can all be replicated digitally though. 

Every modern record as far as I'm aware as made by taking a digital file and then adapting it to vinyl. 
Every record is literally a digital file that in some sense has been degraded. There's no theoretical way to make it better (more accurate) than digital when it starts as digital as there's a quality loss at each step. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

24 minutes ago, cmndr said:

People praise it for a few reasons. 
1. In order to master a file to a record, a bunch of compensating mechanisms need to be in place while mastering the track, this creates its own sound signature of sort which some people like. 
2. The imperfections add "character" to the sound
3. They're full of it and are acquiescing to peer pressure

#1 is actually a somewhat legitimate argument. There's no overblown bass, loudness isn't exaggerated and there's a certain "warmth" to things. These things can all be replicated digitally though. 

Every modern record as far as I'm aware as made by taking a digital file and then adapting it to vinyl. 
Every record is literally a digital file that in some sense has been degraded. There's no theoretical way to make it better (more accurate) than digital when it starts as digital as there's a quality loss at each step. 

I see. Well ok. I mean I am gonna have to get a record player at some point because I already have vinyls and I am curious what the sound will be, but maybe I will hold off for now.

bruh how are you gonna say this to me

23 hours ago, stefanmz said:

As for digital vs analog, that's irrelevant to the question so please don't say don't buy it because digital is better. I am aware of the drawbacks, I also buy cds so I like digital media but I have already decided and bought vinyl records, so please don't bother to come with that argument.

and then say this

20 hours ago, stefanmz said:

Not very reassuring about the sound quality. I mean I am used to the sound quality of cds and hi-res digital music, I heard that vinyl has sound quality unheard of in anything else, I don't know some people really praise it. Is it really worse? Compared to the digital versions I mentioned.

😐😐😐

anyways, yeah, if you're going to throw away money on vinyl records, don't doubly-waste your money by cheaping out on a vinyl record player. Get a good one, or don't get one at all. One of my best friends makes $200K/yr and has a nice vinyl record player and a large collection... doesn't use it at all because Spotify is better.

- - - - -

also

23 hours ago, stefanmz said:

Also I don't need built in speakers, I just need a headphone output.

did you forget what you titled this thread?

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

8 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

bruh how are you gonna say this to me

and then say this

😐😐😐

anyways, yeah, if you're going to throw away money on vinyl records, don't doubly-waste your money by cheaping out on a vinyl record player. Get a good one, or don't get one at all. One of my best friends makes $200K/yr and has a nice vinyl record player and a large collection... doesn't use it at all because Spotify is better.

- - - - -

also

did you forget what you titled this thread?

yeah well I heard good things about vinyl that's why I was surprised. I have never listened to one so I am not gonna defend it too much, also I titled it like this because I meant a record player actually but I have no idea they are different. As you can see I am very new to vinyl:). I just have like 2 or three vinyl records and I have yet to hear them to decide if I want to continue buying them.

8 hours ago, stefanmz said:

yeah well I heard good things about vinyl that's why I was surprised. I have never listened to one so I am not gonna defend it too much, also I titled it like this because I meant a record player actually but I have no idea they are different. As you can see I am very new to vinyl:). I just have like 2 or three vinyl records and I have yet to hear them to decide if I want to continue buying them.

You started a very expensive hobby without even trying it first? All I can say as an old person who listened to many different formats is if you care about nice clean sound and a reasonable price, stop buying records now while your collection is only 2. Use them for wall art and go digital.

If you have a lot of extra cash kicking around, records are fun and more healthy than many other vices, just don't become one of those vinyl snobs who defends them beyond reason. They aren't god-tier.

10 hours ago, stefanmz said:

I just have like 2 or three vinyl records and I have yet to hear them to decide if I want to continue buying them.

I will save you the $40 the dropshipped turntable you have linked would cost. No, they won't sound any better and you will be wasting your money, especially with $40 dropshipped thing already only in Amazon sold by 3 different dropshippers.

At the best you get to enjoy the really vintage music  listening experience which will include: Distorted sound even on low volume, basicly only middles because lows would need bigger speaker and highs would need smaller speaker, extra scratchy needle to "improve" the vintage experience on the second play, the lovely pops that are louder than the Jericho trumpets, twice as nasty and ten times more scary.

Just for reference, people who say vinyls are so great over digital audio and aren't doing so just because they're hipsters, have sunk usually 4-5 figure sums into their audio systems and probably have a turntable with a pricetag in the high 3 to middle 4 figure sums. And you think you can get anywhere near with $40?
If you inherit vinyl collection or get some crazy good deal for a bunch of vinyls, then it's probably wort it to invest the couple hundreds to have something with which to listen to them, or get something knowingly good as used. Couple vinyls and $40, cut your looses, get some Ikea frames for your vinyls and enjoy the album art while listening the album digitally, that is better investment than the dropshipped turntable with a speaker and bluetooth.

12 hours ago, Thaldor said:

I will save you the $40 the dropshipped turntable you have linked would cost. No, they won't sound any better and you will be wasting your money, especially with $40 dropshipped thing already only in Amazon sold by 3 different dropshippers.

At the best you get to enjoy the really vintage music  listening experience which will include: Distorted sound even on low volume, basicly only middles because lows would need bigger speaker and highs would need smaller speaker, extra scratchy needle to "improve" the vintage experience on the second play, the lovely pops that are louder than the Jericho trumpets, twice as nasty and ten times more scary.

Just for reference, people who say vinyls are so great over digital audio and aren't doing so just because they're hipsters, have sunk usually 4-5 figure sums into their audio systems and probably have a turntable with a pricetag in the high 3 to middle 4 figure sums. And you think you can get anywhere near with $40?
If you inherit vinyl collection or get some crazy good deal for a bunch of vinyls, then it's probably wort it to invest the couple hundreds to have something with which to listen to them, or get something knowingly good as used. Couple vinyls and $40, cut your looses, get some Ikea frames for your vinyls and enjoy the album art while listening the album digitally, that is better investment than the dropshipped turntable with a speaker and bluetooth.

ok I love the bit about the Jericho trumpets. Anyway I won't buy that cheap speaker, also I don't care about the speaker quality because I will be listening on headphones but I will save up for some audiotechnica one at least which will probably be better( I mean it would definitely be better).