Best gpu brand?

remo233

After sending back my asus dual 4070 super oc due to issues, what brand would you recommend buying? Let me know if you have had any issues with ceetain brands? I am looking to buy Gigabyte now.

13 minutes ago, remo233 said:

After sending back my asus dual 4070 super oc due to issues, what brand would you recommend buying? Let me know if you have had any issues with ceetain brands? I am looking to buy Gigabyte now.

What issues on the Dual 4070 Super?  The TUF 4070 Super is a really good card for example.

There is no best GPU brand. Most companies have had some absolute terrible cards throughout the years

Gigabyte have suffered from cracked PCB near the PCIE Slot on some 4000 series cards.

But this has maybe been fixed on the 4080 and 4090s.

https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/gpus/gigabyte-addresses-pcb-cracking-issues-with-a-revised-design

I own a MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X Trio and I absolutely love it, its been perfect in every way.

I owned a MSI GTX 980Ti that was really good too.

My RTX 2080 Super was from Palit and it was incredible!

Had a Gainward card once that was quite good too!

Dont go by brand, go by card.  MSI could have the best RTX 4070 Super but they could have an absolute horrible version of a RTX 4060Ti etc etc.

17 minutes ago, remo233 said:

what brand would you recommend buying?

Whatever is cheapest. Brand only matters in that it determines who's RMA department you'll deal with, and most of them are about equally mediocre. The differences are card vs. card, and with cards like a 4070S, the difference between one card and another is minimal at most. 

Odds are your issues with the 4070S Dual is more down to bad luck than it is that the card itself was designed wrong. Faulty parts do make it past QC every once in a while.

5 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

What issues on the Dual 4070 Super?  The TUF 4070 Super is a really good card for example.

There is no best GPU brand. Most companies have had some absolute terrible cards throughout the years

Gigabyte have suffered from cracked PCB near the PCIE Slot on some 4000 series cards.

But this has maybe been fixed on the 4080 and 4090s.

https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/gpus/gigabyte-addresses-pcb-cracking-issues-with-a-revised-design

I own a MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X Trio and I absolutely love it, its been perfect in every way.

I owned a MSI GTX 980Ti that was really good too.

My RTX 2080 Super was from Palit and it was incredible!

Had a Gainward card once that was quite good too!

Dont go by brand, go by card.  MSI could have the best RTX 4070 Super but they could have an absolute horrible version of a RTX 4060Ti etc etc.

The dual card caused me a lot of issues with stutter and fpd drops which were only fixed by reinstalling the gpu drivers every few days. Before I sent it back, my monitor would go blank and I could hear sound but not see the picture. Had to reinstall drivers again to fix it. Sent it back, put back my previous card, the 3060 ti and all is good.

1 minute ago, remo233 said:

The dual card caused me a lot of issues with stutter and fpd drops which were only fixed by reinstalling the gpu drivers every few days. Before I sent it back, my monitor would go blank and I could hear sound but not see the picture. Had to reinstall drivers again to fix it. Sent it back, put back my previous card, the 3060 ti and all is good.

That could be an issue with THAT specific card that somehow passed through quality control.

I'v seen plenty of people happy with their Asus Dual 4070 Supers.

Totally understand if you don't want to go Asus again after that but they are one of the most reputable GPU brands out there.

MSI got some nice Ventus models you could look at, decently priced without all the RGB bling.

Palit got a nice 4070 Super dual card as well.

4 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

That could be an issue with THAT specific card that somehow passed through quality control.

I'v seen plenty of people happy with their Asus Dual 4070 Supers.

Totally understand if you don't want to go Asus again after that but they are one of the most reputable GPU brands out there.

MSI got some nice Ventus models you could look at, decently priced without all the RGB bling.

Palit got a nice 4070 Super dual card as well.

How is gigabyte? The windforce model has good reviews and will fit in my atx case. Also the asus dual had terrible vram temps. Re3 got the vram temp to 94 degrees. The windforce has good temps.

3 minutes ago, remo233 said:

How is gigabyte? The windforce model has good reviews and will fit in my atx case. Also the asus dual had terrible vram temps. Re3 got the vram temp to 94 degrees. The windforce has good temps.

Its a GPU.  If it has good reviews and you have read some positive and negatives and still want to go with the card then I say, Go for it 🙂

The 4070 Super is only a 220w card so its not difficult to cool and with 3 fans it should be cool and quiet ( if gigabyte did their job correctly )

I say buy it!  I see no reason why this would be a bad card at all.

28 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Its a GPU.  If it has good reviews and you have read some positive and negatives and still want to go with the card then I say, Go for it 🙂

The 4070 Super is only a 220w card so its not difficult to cool and with 3 fans it should be cool and quiet ( if gigabyte did their job correctly )

I say buy it!  I see no reason why this would be a bad card at all.

I have not come across negative reviews for this card. If there are any, let me know, will check them.

10 minutes ago, remo233 said:

I have not come across negative reviews for this card. If there are any, let me know, will check them.

They are known to have some of the worst after sales support (in North America anyway) The cards may be fine, but they are also the ones who started the broken pcb issue if I recall correctly.

link 1

link 2

But maybe they fixed it?

link 3

2 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

They are known to have some of the worst after sales support (in North America anyway) The cards may be fine, but they are also the ones who started the broken pcb issue if I recall correctly.

link 1

link 2

But maybe they fixed it?

link 3

Yes I am aware of the 4090 issue but other brands also had this issue. I believe thisbwas because support brackets were not used with the cards.

Every brand has its bad eggs. And returning a bad card is a shitty experience no matter the brand.

What you should focus on, is the behavior of the card when it does not need to be returned. You want a good cooler for silent operation and premium components for longevity.

Look at 4070 Super comparison videos and target the ones with lower noise normalised GPU and hotspot temps. Also the ones with dual BIOS which is a hint that the components are likely to be better than normal.

The most accurate way to tell good components is from the max user configurable power limit that is set in the BIOS. Because they will not allow a power draw limit that they know the components cannot possibly deliver (which results in many returns and bad reviews) However this is still poorly documented by reviewers and says nothing about the cooler design.

The best alternative is the advertised factory set boost limit which the manufacturer has to guarantee stable operation. Then silicon and supporting components have to be up to snuff. The models with "OC" in the name are for those looking to overclock. The power limit is generally higher than the non-OC and likely to have better components.

Personally I have the Gigabyte Gaming OC 4070 Super, which has a silent mode BIOS and the power limit is 145%. I recommend a support bracket due to its length and weight. It is not recommended for vertical mounting due to the big hole at the tail end for air to flow through.

If you are lazy and want to be given the fish instead of learning how to fish, then get one of the following from best to worst:

• Asus Strix
  • Gigabyte Aorus Master
  • MSI Gaming X Trio (NOT THE SLIM MODEL)
  • Asus TUF Gaming OC
  • Gigabyte Gaming or Aero OC (same thing under the hood)
  • Colorful Neptune/Vulcan OC
  • Asus Dual OC

Thanks, going for the gigabyte gaming, vidoes show it has better thermals and performance compared to the tuf:

Good, just make sure to get it a support bracket. If you noticed in the video, Gigabyte is using a short PCB for the Gaming model. Having more components crammed into a small area generally weakens the PCB's tensile strength. This makes it prone to the widely reported issue of Gigabyte's cards PCB bending and cracking under its weight.

Most of the coolers are inherited from the 3000 series which ran way hotter and needed beefy heatsinks. So while you get to enjoy low temps, be mindful of the extra weight put on the small PCB.