Copy /home with rsync?

I am thinking about moving to KDE & I want all my settings for my apps. I wish I could just put in on what I have now, but I have Mate. That is not a good 1. I was just thomking I could just copy .mozilli & the app folders I wan't from .config, but Caja alwys freezes when when I copy big floders.

MSI Performance Gaming AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 HDMI Display Port Mini-ITX Motherboard (B450I Gaming Plus AC), AMD Ryzen 7 2700 4.1 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) Ram, EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC Gaming, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR

I mean, yeah, as root you should be able to rsync anything

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

15 minutes ago, Edward78 said:

I am thinking about moving to KDE & I want all my settings for my apps. I wish I could just put in on what I have now, but I have Mate.

Just install KDE desktop environment from your package manger? When logging in select kde as the environment.

If you want to backup home folder use timeshift.

Just uninstall Mate and install KDE simple. You won't lose all your apps and data etc. Its just a DE at the end of the day. 

12 hours ago, goatedpenguin said:

Just uninstall Mate and install KDE simple. You won't lose all your apps and data etc. Its just a DE at the end of the day. 

I was thinking that,so I did this before, but I do not see where to boot up to KDE, nothing on SDDM? Plus, if I get rid of mTE fter it will get rid of the network manager, etc for mate right? Any this is how my distroes site instructions. https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Install_Desktop_Environments

MSI Performance Gaming AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 HDMI Display Port Mini-ITX Motherboard (B450I Gaming Plus AC), AMD Ryzen 7 2700 4.1 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) Ram, EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC Gaming, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR

Can you send a screenshot of what will be uninstalled from the command line? Btw there is no need to use the -Rns flags just simply use the -Runs flag. The second flags given are more preferable and safe than doing -Rcns

28 minutes ago, goatedpenguin said:

Can you send a screenshot of what will be uninstalled from the command line? Btw there is no need to use the -Rns flags just simply use the -Runs flag. The second flags given are more preferable and safe than doing -Rcns

?? OMG, think that font could be a little better, but ya KDE is not on sys when I click nothing happens.

When you’re removing mate send the screenshot of what packages are being removed. 

28 minutes ago, goatedpenguin said:

When you’re removing mate send the screenshot of what packages are being removed. 

I'm thinking, why remove mate at all, just leave it in the background, well for at least 6 months or so until you are "happy" with your new DE.

How do I make the mouse pointer bigger?

The mouse pointer is tiny, I need to change that so I can see it. I decided to stay with Mate.

On 4/13/2024 at 1:37 PM, Edward78 said:

How do I make the mouse pointer bigger?

there should be a config in System Settings for that.

If you search for cursor on the Kickoff (application menu) or KRunner, it'll be there

image.thumb.png.4024059361d3aaa72065c817c0d7e025.png

Also, when I use rsync I do

rsync -avP /home/<username> <destination>

the parameters are:

• a - archive
  • v - verbose
  • P - --partial --progress

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

Well I think my MB is starting to die, USB liveboot for Manjaro KDE will not bring up the DE, same with Opt drive. A blue/green (a bit color blind) comes up like the DE is about to come up, just stays blank, Mate doesn't boot into DE also, a oddness with a graphic in the screen color. On a oldeer sys they all boot fine, the DE loasd up & all is good. I even took the drive with Linux already on it out, installed Manjaro KDE on anther sys then put it back onto this sys, same thing. So the drive isn't bad, the DVD or USB isn't either. The drive