14700k semi new build freezing

Go to solution Solved by Beavis3682,

Fixed! It was a stupid pci 3 riser cable for vertically mounting my gpu. Apparently newer board didn't like that cable. Was reluctant to try at first because gou is hardlined in, so I had to rebend some tubing to test out and it all works now. Will be doing more testing later today.  

Alright I will be able to add more info when I get home and maybe some screenshot if needed but here it goes and bear with me. If it doesn't say new next to hardware component then it's from previous system. 

Specs:

Gigabyte z790 Aorus Elite X AX - New

I7-14700k - new

2 x 32GB Corsair 6400mhz ram - new

DeepCool LT720 360mm AIO - new

Seasonic 1300W Prime Platinum PSU

Samsung 980 Pro 2tb m.2

3080ti fe hardlined with EK Quantum Vector block

Windows 11 with updates done

So I just did a fresh install of Windows 11 and when I try to start a game computer freezes and requires me to do a hard reset to get out of it. I have very minimal on OS as of yet program wise yet. I flashed to latest bios (of the the top of my head can't remember the number but it is the latest offered). All drivers are up to date l. And I mean all of them including all updates Gigabyte has to offer. Graphics drivers for 3080ti were at latest which is the 552 but have since tried older during trouble shooting like 551 and currently at 546 version. I can mimic the freeze using furmark and it froze at around 5 min. Will include picture of that.  All my temps across the board are great even during heavy stress tests. Using OCCT I stressed out cpu and memory for up to 1 hr on heavy loads and nothing not even high temps. Running 3d adaptive in OCCT I get all the whea errors pictured. Ran memory diagnostics also and it found 0 errors. Used samsung magician to check hard drive knowing it's a 980 pro and it is all good and still the correct firmware. I made sure both sticks of ram are in correct channels. Tried one stick at a time. I watched shit loads of YouTube videos at the same time and no problems. Can sit idle or run programs like revit and fly models and no issues. I took my gpu over to neighbors and tested on system I built and no issues. Only time I get freezing is when opening game and 2 minutes after or the furmark test at like 5 minutes. If it matters the two games I tried were warzone on both battlenet and steam and also pubg on steam. 

FB_IMG_1712935329525.jpg

20240411_195530.jpg

Oh forgot to add that in the process yes I have lowered ram speed to 6000mhz and also disabled xmp all together and it is now at stock speed of 4800mhz. 

have you tried just resetting bios and load windows?

26 minutes ago, Robchil said:

have you tried just resetting bios and load windows?

I did rest bios and start from scratch there and went all the way back to flashing to latest version. As far as OS goes I have not tried to re install it again in case there was something corrupted upon initial install but might be a last ditch effort tonight.

Welcome to the forums!
Strong work on the independent troubleshooting.
DDU? Reseat CPU? 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

11 minutes ago, Beavis3682 said:

I did rest bios and start from scratch there and went all the way back to flashing to latest version. As far as OS goes I have not tried to re install it again in case there was something corrupted upon initial install but might be a last ditch effort tonight.

since it a k cpu.. remove the GPU and test if it's still a problem. 

1 hour ago, Robchil said:

since it a k cpu.. remove the GPU and test if it's still a problem. 

Not a bad idea

3 minutes ago, Beavis3682 said:

Not a bad idea

remove all external devices... usb and whatnot connected as well.. i've seen external drives causing problems like this too. 

to eliminate sources that can cause problems 

keyboard and mouse would still be required.. but if you have spare.. use different keyboard and mouse. 

2 hours ago, Robchil said:

remove all external devices... usb and whatnot connected as well.. i've seen external drives causing problems like this too. 

to eliminate sources that can cause problems 

keyboard and mouse would still be required.. but if you have spare.. use different keyboard and mouse. 

Ya I always do this on builds until everything is perfectly running. Have one monitor, keyboard and mouse, and ethernet plugged in that's it

1 minute ago, Beavis3682 said:

Ya I always do this on builds until everything is perfectly running. Have one monitor, keyboard and mouse, and ethernet plugged in that's it

that includes any internal controller boxes for fan's too.. if watercooled, you only need the pump, if air cooled only need the cpu fan. 

and front panel connectors. 

1 hour ago, Robchil said:

that includes any internal controller boxes for fan's too.. if watercooled, you only need the pump, if air cooled only need the cpu fan. 

and front panel connectors. 

Yep, went down to cpu pump and gpu pump last night. 

1 minute ago, Beavis3682 said:

Yep, went down to cpu pump and gpu pump last night. 

do you have a spare drive?.. even sata? you could install windows on to try removing the nvme's? 

1 minute ago, Robchil said:

do you have a spare drive?.. even sata? you could install windows on to try removing the nvme's? 

So I am on my way home from work as we speak and thos was my next avenue in case it is not liking the 980 pro. At lunch I picked up a sn850x wd black 4tb and going to start by doing fresh install of win 11 on that and if it works cool I guess I have a 980 pro as secondary

2 minutes ago, Beavis3682 said:

So I am on my way home from work as we speak and thos was my next avenue in case it is not liking the 980 pro. At lunch I picked up a sn850x wd black 4tb and going to start by doing fresh install of win 11 on that and if it works cool I guess I have a 980 pro as secondary

oh well.. or you could do that. but i would remove both existing nvme's from the system. 

...  only have one drive in.. or enabled when installing anyway 🙂

20 minutes ago, Robchil said:

oh well.. or you could do that. but i would remove both existing nvme's from the system. 

...  only have one drive in.. or enabled when installing anyway 🙂

Well I will only have the new drive in while starting from scratch on the new OS install but I need at least one or how would I install an OS

2 minutes ago, Beavis3682 said:

Well I will only have the new drive in while starting from scratch on the new OS install but I need at least one or how would I install an OS

point is you have windows on one of the drives already.. if it's enabled and installed it could confuse itself and overwrite the old bootloader.. and when you take the wrong drive out windows don't boot anymore... 

23 minutes ago, Robchil said:

point is you have windows on one of the drives already.. if it's enabled and installed it could confuse itself and overwrite the old bootloader.. and when you take the wrong drive out windows don't boot anymore... 

Nah I will make sure it has priority and it old one won't be in system till this is figured out.

Fixed! It was a stupid pci 3 riser cable for vertically mounting my gpu. Apparently newer board didn't like that cable. Was reluctant to try at first because gou is hardlined in, so I had to rebend some tubing to test out and it all works now. Will be doing more testing later today.  

6 hours ago, Robchil said:

it's always the riser cable.. 😄

Fucking riser cable