How to run a tplink omada controller on truenas scale

I tried searching for it online and didn't find a lot of information, so can anyone guide me on how to set up an omada controller on truenas core? perhaps there is a youtube guide i missed?

edit: not that I found out true as scale is free, I want to figure out how to pivot to that instead 

Imagine everything i have written in a Linus Voice/ linus tone (Spock live long and prosper gif here ,idk why tho, i guess i just want to say that i like star trek and am waiting for new seasons of the ongoing shows), But seriously, a lot of what i type only makes sense when said in a Linus tone from an older ltt video (circa 2017-2019 & now 2024-onwards) basically before he got a beard and a lot of it should make sense even in a Linus with a beard face.

also note as per the latest typing test on my laptop, my accuracy is 69%

I'm not weird/creepy, I'm just observant I have ADHD and am not on any meds for it.

Just run it in a ubuntu VM? Should be orders of magnitude easier than attempting to run that thing in freebsd and in a jail.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I haven't tried this but I'm seconding "run it in a VM" 

I can only assume that the software is linux based so it'll be an uphill battle getting it to run on BSD.

Otherwise consider TRUENAS Scale and running it in a container. Note that the last I checked Scale isn't quite as polished as CORE. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

14 hours ago, Levent said:

Just run it in a ubuntu VM? Should be orders of magnitude easier than attempting to run that thing in freebsd and in a jail.

How do I get an Ubuntu VM to run, can I also run backblaze pc backup on that?

can I just stick in a windows vm and then somehow avoid the performance penalty?

also am I incredibly stupid or is truenas/unraid based on Linux?

14 hours ago, cmndr said:

I haven't tried this but I'm seconding "run it in a VM" 

I can only assume that the software is linux based so it'll be an uphill battle getting it to run on BSD.

Otherwise consider TRUENAS Scale and running it in a container. Note that the last I checked Scale isn't quite as polished as CORE. 

I’m trying to avoid paying for an os, if it is not clear 

Imagine everything i have written in a Linus Voice/ linus tone (Spock live long and prosper gif here ,idk why tho, i guess i just want to say that i like star trek and am waiting for new seasons of the ongoing shows), But seriously, a lot of what i type only makes sense when said in a Linus tone from an older ltt video (circa 2017-2019 & now 2024-onwards) basically before he got a beard and a lot of it should make sense even in a Linus with a beard face.

I'm not weird/creepy, I'm just observant I have ADHD and am not on any meds for it.

Bear in mind Truenas core is over. It's in maintenance mode. You want to switch to Truenas scale or something else entirely.

Core is based on FreeBSD, not Linux. Scale is Linux.

38 minutes ago, whispous said:

Bear in mind Truenas core is over. It's in maintenance mode. You want to switch to Truenas scale or something else entirely.

Core is based on FreeBSD, not Linux. Scale is Linux.

What do you mean ‘ over’? I’m really not familiar with any of these terms 

12 minutes ago, Indian pc builder said:

What do you mean ‘ over’? I’m really not familiar with any of these terms 

Truenas Core is getting only a few more security updates and then in the not too distant future, will be abandoned.

2 hours ago, Indian pc builder said:

also am I incredibly stupid or is truenas/unraid based on Linux?

TrueNAS Core is built off of FreeBSD, which is not Linux. It's also on borrowed time, as all the development effort has been migrated over to Scale.

TrueNAS Scale is based off Debian Linux, so you get all the modern containerization and kernel-level virtual machine goodies that come with it.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

50 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

TrueNAS Core is built off of FreeBSD, which is not Linux. It's also on borrowed time, as all the development effort has been migrated over to Scale.

TrueNAS Scale is based off Debian Linux, so you get all the modern containerization and kernel-level virtual machine goodies that come with it.

What the.., no one told me scale was free, ok then, how do I get stuff running in scale?

25 minutes ago, Indian pc builder said:

What the.., no one told me scale was free, ok then, how do I get stuff running in scale?

It has Docker and KVM built in.

TrueCharts is an add-on repository that has pre=built Docker packages for Scale available, which makes a ton of stuff about as one-click-install as possible. Customizing things too much or building your own containers can still lead you deep into the weeds of config file editing though.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

6 hours ago, Indian pc builder said:

I’m trying to avoid paying for an os, if it is not clear 

Ubuntu and all of the TRUENAS variants are free. 

Some basic IT terms
VM - Virtual machine, runs an OS inside of another OS or hypervisor. Things are relatively segregated and it essentially allows one computer to act as multiple. 
Docker - creates a separate environment for one program within an OS.

Docker image - pre-configured environment for running an application.

I'm not an IT guy so I've mostly read about this stuff... 
it does look like someone made a docker image for this use case though

https://www.google.com/search?q=docker+image+omada

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

Both the built in apps from iX Systems as well as Truecharts have the Omada controller as an application for TrueNAS Scale, so you don't have to bother running a customer docker image app.

That being said, I personally only run applications on my NAS that explicitly touch the resources on the NAS itself.

5 hours ago, broken42 said:

Both the built in apps from iX Systems as well as Truecharts have the Omada controller as an application for TrueNAS Scale, so you don't have to bother running a customer docker image app.

That being said, I personally only run applications on my NAS that explicitly touch the resources on the NAS itself.

See, if I need omada running 247 and already have a nas running 247, I’m not going to shell out 100usd for a hardware controller. Instead I’m going to give out 800 for the nas