Reuse old PSU?

Ozzieh_man

Hey,

So I was thinking of building a new PC sometime in the coming future and i was thinking. I've had my RM750 PSU for around 4 years now and for the PC i want to switch to that is enough. Should i use this old PSU or would it be better to switch to a new one?

2 minutes ago, Ozzieh_man said:

Hey,

So I was thinking of building a new PC sometime in the coming future and i was thinking. I've had my RM750 PSU for around 4 years now and for the PC i want to switch to that is enough. Should i use this old PSU or would it be better to switch to a new one?

It depends, but most likely it'll be fine.

The general rule being after about 5 years to expect a 10% reduction in maximum output. 750W is still a lot, even my rig has trouble reaching that reliably, so as long as it meets the minimum recommended capacity for your new graphics card, then you'll probably be fine. In that case, 700W or less to be safe.

Me personally, I'd rather not risk it and I'd rather have a spare decent part than putting an old PSU on a new system. Although a new PSU is just as likely to have a major malfunction, if not more, since its unproven/untested.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

It’s a 4 year old RM750, are you all smoking crack?

Literally zero concern. Use it. Power supplies are not disposable components, and good power supplies last a long time. The RM, RMx and RMe lines are really nice power supplies all things considered. And if this is a post 2019 RM750 it has a 10 year warranty.

What was the point of buying a nice power supply if you were just going to throw it away when building a new system?