How do I watch HDR content properly on windows?

I've never had an HDR monitor before but I bought an oled one recently and I'm unsure if I need to do something special to view HDR content properly.

I've enabled HDR in Windows and my monitor is in HDR mode too, if I start an HDR movie in VLC will it play properly automatically? Or do I need to do something else?

Which display? Are you using Windows 11? 

For a baseline, I'd suggest running the HDR Calibration tool from MS available in the Store, then in Windows HDR settings adjust your SDR content slider down as far as your comfortable setting it for normal day to day use for SDR content at the desktop.

As for playing back local media, if the video in question is actually in HDR and your player supports it, it should just play fine. I've got a lot of time in VLC but I prefer PotPlayer as of late for HDR files. VLC does something with the black levels that I don't like but also can't quite put my finger on it. PotPlayer on the other hand seems perfect out of the box.

If you're using a modern Nvidia card, you can enable HDR for video that will convert online video from SDR to HDR in Nvidia Control panel (Video > Adjust video image settings)

image.png.8f0c0abf39dd4e144ea624c1e502b927.png

The display is MSI MPG 321URX QD-OLED and yeah win 11

I haven't run the HDR Calibration tool yet so I'll do that, but for day-to-day use wouldn't it be better if I just turn off HDR and only turn it on when I actually want to use it?

And I'll check PotPlayer out thanks for the suggestion.

9 minutes ago, Mrci said:

but for day-to-day use wouldn't it be better if I just turn off HDR and only turn it on when I actually want to use it?

Personal preference. I'm of the opinion that there is no need anymore. My display looks fantastic with HDR on and with all SDR video being converted to HDR on the fly now with Nvidia, there is absolutely no way I'm swapping back and forth constantly just to watch a video. That sounds terrible even if its just a key combo (Win-Alt-B)

My system is also for 95% gaming and media consumption so that works for me. 

For games, if they have native HDR i'll just use that and for games that don't, RTX HDR setup in the Nvidia app takes care of that. 

Also that touches on the importance of the SDR content brightness slider. For all the times you're not in a video or a game, the brightness is toned way down to help prevent burn in. 

image.png.01c0475aa00edf4f3ef3e787a9a77379.png