File Explorer "This PC" SLOW to open

deadmorrow
In Windows 11 File Explorer, clicking "This PC" takes about 15 seconds to load its contents, showing the drives. I have searched on Google for solutions ranging from disabling the search service in MSCONFIG, to resetting the cache and it's still super slow to load. This is causing issues with programs as well showing a drop down menu to save files for instance. Six mapped drives appear in This PC, and each one of them is quick to open with no lag.

This is a new Dell Precision i7-13700 that has been clean installed a couple of months ago with Windows 11 and is now up-to-date.
Other computers, even Dell ones, do not have this issue of slow "This PC" load.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

What are your specs? Are you using a hard drive or solid state drive?

What are the specs, did you update everything? Can you send a task manager screenshot? 

Sounds like it's waiting for something on the network, or maybe polling removable drives (like a card reader).

Do you have any network shared drives mounted to drive letters?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

File Explorer usage spikes while trying to load "This PC". There are no external drives attached, just an extra internal M.2 SSD.

THISPC.png

52 minutes ago, deadmorrow said:

File Explorer usage spikes while trying to load "This PC". There are no external drives attached, just an extra internal M.2 SSD.

There are all mapped network drives. Explorer has to check them all when you open the window.

Are any of those servers offline?

image.png.1d5c50eac82a6f89d0d88e4cfb355599.png

No these are all online, multiple other users use similar mapped network drives and in most cases have many more network drives mapped.

No other user has this issue. This may be a Windows issue. Running an sfc /scannow, then a dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth has not resolved the issue either.  I may just wipe the OS, reformat, and remake the OS.

3 minutes ago, deadmorrow said:

No these are all online, multiple other users use similar mapped network drives and in most cases have many more network drives mapped.

No other user has this issue. This may be a Windows issue. Running an sfc /scannow, then a dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth has not resolved the issue either.  I may just wipe the OS, reformat, and remake the OS.

Can you log into another computer with your account, or have someone else log into yours? 

In my experience a surprising number of weird "I have to nuke and reinstall" problems tend to be corrupt user profiles.

2 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

In my experience a surprising number of weird "I have to nuke and reinstall" problems tend to be corrupt user profiles.

Tbh it is most easy solution.

Which is why i usually keep old windows iso file around that i know it works out of the box 🐒

Hurray for network drives.🎉

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖