PC no post

Go to solution Solved by euankane14,

Hi, 

I went on holiday before i was able to fix the issue, but it turned out being a dead cpu and motherboard which was painful.

Hi Yall,

My pc (not new, have had for about a year) has not been posting. I'm not sure what exactly happened but my mate says he changed the RAM timing settings to competitive or aggressive, and the pc has not booted since :(. When turned on the lights and fan spin up as per normal and the CPU and Ram boot lights stay on.

The computer is on the latest version of Windows 11 64 bit

I'm running the following

• 7700X
  • 7900XTX
  • Asrock B650M Riptide PG
  • 4x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000 CL36
  • Sabrent Rocket Q4
  • Crucial 2TB P3 SSD
  • Corsair 240 AIO Cooler
  • Corsair RM850x (2021) 850W

I'm pretty sure I was Running Bios edition 1.21, but I've attempted to clear CMOS, and then Update the BIOS

I've also tried reseating CPU and RAM and tried a variety of RAM configurations, no success.

PS. Thank you to anyone that tries to help because honestly I've got no clue.

Try swapping or taking out the RAM and trying a stick at a time. Its pretty hard for OCed componets to get damaged like this so this may be another problem... 

13 minutes ago, goatedpenguin said:

Try swapping or taking out the RAM and trying a stick at a time. Its pretty hard for OCed componets to get damaged like this so this may be another problem... 

Hi thanks for the suggestion, I had already tried the RAM in each slot, but I gave it another go because you never know, but had no success.

43 minutes ago, euankane14 said:

Hi thanks for the suggestion, I had already tried the RAM in each slot, but I gave it another go because you never know, but had no success.

you mentioned you tried RAM in a variety of configs, was any of these configs just 1 stick?

Also, have you let the computer try to turn on for like 20mins+ as it could be memory training the RAM and youre cutting it off midway everytime

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

2 hours ago, euankane14 said:

I'm not sure what exactly happened but my mate says he changed the RAM timing settings to competitive or aggressive.

Hey try turning off the RAM overlock by going over to RAM profiler, this is usually called XMP, DOCP, or EXPO. Try putting this on profile 1 or just keep it at what it was before which would be the default. If this is too hard or you couldn't find the settings, you can reset your bios (this step will be different for all types of bios and motherboard manufacturers). Resetting the BIOS is *almost* always a guaranteed way to fix these type of issues.

You can usually find the reset or restore the bios to default settings pretty easily but if you can't, I suggest looking up a YouTube tutorial for your specific motherboard.

3 minutes ago, Dixel said:

Hey try turning off the RAM overlock by going over to RAM profiler, this is usually called XMP, DOCP, or EXPO. Try putting this on profile 1 or just keep it at what it was before which would be the default. If this is too hard or you couldn't find the settings, you can reset your bios (this step will be different for all types of bios and motherboard manufacturers). Resetting the BIOS is *almost* always a guaranteed way to fix these type of issues.

You can usually find the reset or restore the bios to default settings pretty easily but if you can't, I suggest looking up a YouTube tutorial for your specific motherboard.

1 hour ago, euankane14 said:

I'm pretty sure I was Running Bios edition 1.21, but I've attempted to clear CMOS, and then Update the BIOS.

I think hes tried this already

System specs:

1 hour ago, TatamiMatt said:

Well alright, maybe I'll look into this tmrw, I gotta catch some sleep.

24 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

you mentioned you tried RAM in a variety of configs, was any of these configs just 1 stick?

Also, have you let the computer try to turn on for like 20mins+ as it could be memory training the RAM and youre cutting it off midway everytime

Hi, I've tried each stick individually and 2 at a time sticks (in each slot configuration) which didn't work.

I thought it might be the RAM training as well so I left it on overnight with no success. I did this before the CMOS and Bios things with no change.

24 minutes ago, Dixel said:

21 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

15 minutes ago, Dixel said:

Well alright, maybe I'll look into this tmrw, I gotta catch some sleep.

Hi, yeah unfortunately I haven't been able to get into the bios at all, so I have been able to reset it which is why i gave the cmos and bios stuff a go.

3 minutes ago, euankane14 said:

Hi, yeah unfortunately I haven't been able to get into the bios at all, so I have been able to reset it which is why i gave the cmos and bios stuff a go.

Its a long shot and i never know when to recommend it, is your CMOS dead? Do you have any way to test it?

Also you seem to know your stuff, but how did you CMOS reset?

System specs:

29 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Its a long shot and i never know when to recommend it, is your CMOS dead? Do you have any way to test it?

Also you seem to know your stuff, but how did you CMOS reset?

Thats something I haven't thought about, I just bridged the Clear cmos pins on the motherboard, I honestly don't know how to test that in the computers current state

19 minutes ago, euankane14 said:

Thats something I haven't thought about, I just bridged the Clear cmos pins on the motherboard, I honestly don't know how to test that in the computers current state

did you take out the CMOS battery before bridging?

If not try that, take out the CMOS, wait 5 mins and bridge it, then pop back in and try again

System specs:

4 hours ago, euankane14 said:

Take the battery off and put it back it in, hopefully your bios should then be reset. Shorting out the two pins is not always the best way to guarantee that the BIOS gets reset. You might have to take ur gpu off since it would prolly be blocking the cmos location 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, 

I went on holiday before i was able to fix the issue, but it turned out being a dead cpu and motherboard which was painful.