PC freezing on start up

Go to solution Solved by malawar,
On 4/8/2024 at 8:00 PM, Vicarian said:

QVL for your motherboard:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/ROG_CROSSHAIR-VIII-HERO_WI-FI/Memory_QVL_for_AMD_Ryzen_5000_X570-4DIMM.pdf?model=ROG CROSSHAIR VIII FORMULA

I assume you have 4x32.  If your memory is not in that list in a 4x32 configuration (note the pips in the last 3 columns), try going to 2x32 in dual channel (refer to your motherboard's manual) and see if things improve.  Shoving 4 memory modules into motherboards does cause stability issues in certain situations.

If reducing memory modules doesn't work, if you have a friend with a known working spare GPU, or have an old one laying around, run DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller from Guru3D), then shut down and swap cards.  You might try even running DDU and redownloading the driver for your current GPU to do a completely clean install.

If that doesn't work, try reinstalling Windows.  You'll likely need a spare machine to create bootable media if you can no longer get into Windows on this one.  Guide and download by Microsoft here.

Turned out to be a faulty CPU 😞

Replaced it and all is working now

Hello,

Problem:

My pc started freezing during asus loading in start up (see image). Not sure what is causing this or how to fix it. Please help.

Some extra context:

I usually leave my pc on, and would notice it not responding (frozen) when I'm back home. The screen would be black, everything else is working but it won't respond. I would have to force restart using power button. This would repeat every few days.

Nothing else that's unusual I can think of. I can go into bios, can see info on my drives and GPU. But freeze on startup when I exit bios.

I can see all temperatures in normal range in bios.

Tried going into safe mode by forcing automatic diagnosis but it would freeze soon after the blue trouble shooting screen opens.

I have a feeling it might be related to the GPU but I'm not sure and can't confirm. Reading online suggests it might be an issue with windows files. 

System:

ROG Crosshair VIII Formula

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz

Samsung SSD 980 Pro 1TB (C Drive)

RAM 128 GB

64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows 10 Home

21H2

OS build 19044.2251

Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0

20240407_055721.jpg

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/ROG_CROSSHAIR-VIII-HERO_WI-FI/Memory_QVL_for_AMD_Ryzen_5000_X570-4DIMM.pdf?model=ROG CROSSHAIR VIII FORMULA

I assume you have 4x32.  If your memory is not in that list in a 4x32 configuration (note the pips in the last 3 columns), try going to 2x32 in dual channel (refer to your motherboard's manual) and see if things improve.  Shoving 4 memory modules into motherboards does cause stability issues in certain situations.

If reducing memory modules doesn't work, if you have a friend with a known working spare GPU, or have an old one laying around, run DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller from Guru3D), then shut down and swap cards.  You might try even running DDU and redownloading the driver for your current GPU to do a completely clean install.

If that doesn't work, try reinstalling Windows.  You'll likely need a spare machine to create bootable media if you can no longer get into Windows on this one.  Guide and download by Microsoft here.

On 4/8/2024 at 8:00 PM, Vicarian said:

Turned out to be a faulty CPU 😞

Replaced it and all is working now