Using an molex adapter for a GPU ?

Go to solution Solved by TatamiMatt,

Im not entirely sure on this as i havent ever needed to resolve a situation quite like yours, and would recommend taking advice from someone more experienced than me, but imo, it sounds pretty fine, 2060 is a 160W card and 75Ws come from the PCIe slot, so youre pulling 85W through molex power or about 42.5W through each molex cable, which honestly isnt a whole lot, about 1/3ish of what molex's max wattage is (if im correct with that number), and this is only at full power, the gpu wont always be at full power, especially with an undervolt. So again, imo you should be fine, but i havent tinkered with many molex adapters ever so, take my opinion with a pinch of salt

Hello to whoever may see this 馃檪

I've just finished building a budget PC for a friend. It's got an RTX 2060 and I5 10400f. To power it up, I repurposed an M RED 700w 80+ bronze PSU that I used in my own rig before upgrading. It used to power a 2070 super and Oc'd I5 10600K so I thought it would handle the new components just fine (and it does). The problem is that I lost or used all GPU cables from this specific PSU and I discovered that PSU cables are non standard ! (Thanks for that manufacturers).

After checking the web for a while I couldn't find any cables that would fit into this PSU, so I resorted to using a double molex to 8 pin PCIE adapter. I read online that it is very much not advised, so I tried to do due diligence. I bought an decent quality adapter and checked the markings of the cables to ensure it, then I plugged the GPU into it. After stressing the card and checking the cable I found that it felt uncomfortably warm on the PSU side (The adapter's side stayed cool). Not wanting to give my friend a potential fire hasard I resolved to using two different molex's from two different 6 pin connectors on the PSU in an attempt of separating the power (and therefore heat) output on the cables. After stressing the card for a while again I felt the cables and they all stayed cool to the touch. I didn't notice any stutters, artifacts or performance drops and even undervolted the card for ecological reasons since it didn't seem to lose me any performance.

I guess my question is, am I good ? Was I diligent enough or is it still a big risk ? I personally think it should be fine but I would like the input of more experienced builders on the matter since it's my first time using such an adapter.

Thank you for reading and for any answer you may provide 馃檪

Im not entirely sure on this as i havent ever needed to resolve a situation quite like yours, and would recommend taking advice from someone more experienced than me, but imo, it sounds pretty fine, 2060 is a 160W card and 75Ws come from the PCIe slot, so youre pulling 85W through molex power or about 42.5W through each molex cable, which honestly isnt a whole lot, about 1/3ish of what molex's max wattage is (if im correct with that number), and this is only at full power, the gpu wont always be at full power, especially with an undervolt. So again, imo you should be fine, but i havent tinkered with many molex adapters ever so, take my opinion with a pinch of salt

System specs:

CPU:聽Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage:聽2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List:聽https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

25 minutes ago, Peeferin said:

to using a double molex to 8 pin PCIE

Don't ever do this. This is a guarantee of failure and disaster. Molex is only really rated for 75w. Since you are using a daisy chain cable you are pulling form the same wire.

These molex to pcie adapters are made extremely shittly and known to melt.

Using 2 different cables is better but still don't do it.

26 minutes ago, Peeferin said:

I found that it felt uncomfortably warm on the PSU side

Not too surprised there.

As for mred psu's these all look identical to rebadges Aigo, sharkoon,... use and your specific one looks like the typical not safe to use one I see from time to time. You got lucky it lasted on your rig really.

I would replace with a good unit asap.

I don't like the Molex idea but if you need to resort to a adapter, I would recommend the SATA instead of a Molex. But this is a RTX 2060, not a GTX 1660 or a GTX 1060. Its considerably higher that those 2 mid-end GPU that needs a 6 pin since they are popular on being installed on pre built PC with no option of replacing PSU because either they are proprietary or isn't compatible by size. So yeah, just buy a really cheap 2nd hand but reputable PSU like a corsair cv 450

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D聽| Gigabyte B550M DS3H Rev 1.7 | Kingston Fury X 32GB DDR4 (2X16) 2666MHz | Gigabyte RX 6800 GAMING OC 16G |

Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE | 3X Rakk Maris Pro 120mm RGB Fans |Rakk Dulus Case | Gigabyte GP-P650G 650W 80+ GOLD Certified Active PFC

Lexar NM710 M.2 1TB NVMe SSD Gen 4 | Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND SATA

KOORUI 24E3. 24" 1080p Gaming Monitor, 165Hz Refresh Rate, IPS Panel

8 hours ago, foxbill86 said:

I would recommend the SATA instead of a Molex.

No. Sata is AT MOST meant for 54w if lucky. Molex is actually designed for higher power draw. The sata adapters are FAR worse.

Thank you all for answering, from what I've gathered on this card's power draw and the capabilities of the PSU I think it will be fine. Using two different 6 pin ports on the PSU was definitely the way to go. After extended stressing of the card I have yet to see any issues. For those who told me to change the PSU this obviously wasn't an option, the build was already a sort of "scrapyard wars" situation haha

On 4/8/2024 at 12:09 PM, jaslion said:

As for mred psu's these all look identical to rebadges Aigo, sharkoon,... use and your specific one looks like the typical not safe to use one I see from time to time. You got lucky it lasted on your rig really.

I would replace with a good unit asap.

So, I first thought it was some kind of generic reskinned chinese PSU aswell, but it turns out MRed is a local French tech company (I live in France and got my first components from a local hardware store)

After doing some research they seem legit and have good reviews all around.