Comes off thermal pad (GPU)

scelusia
Go to solution Solved by Poinkachu,
1 hour ago, scelusia said:

Hello

I recently RMA my GPU ASUS TUF 3070 and got a replacement unit to ROG Strix 3070 Ti since they don't have the same model in stock, which is great for me.
Currently using it with the RM750 2 PCIe ,1 of them pigtail-ed since the GPU need 3 8 pin.

After I got home, I installed it and it works fine.
Problem is, when I tried to tidy up the desk and the bubblewrap (the new GPU didn't fit the box so they wrapped it in bubblewrap so I just put that into my bag), I noticed there was a single, one piece of thermal pad in there, maybe it came off because of the shaking of the bag or something.

Tried playing Dota 2 and Project Zomboid, it ran fine (excluding the occasional black flicker in Project Zomboid due to the zoom in and out, maybe I need to play it again to make sure), I also tried RDR2 high setting less than 5 minutes

Will it be fine in the long run to continue using the GPU without caring about the dropped/comes-off thermal pad? I mean, that means a part has not been covered with a thermal pad, right?

IMG_20240405_073413.jpg

IMG_20240405_085846.jpg

IMO,

It could just be leftover pads that got stuck somewhere on the card and fell off in shipping.

GPU thermal pads usually very compressed between 2 hard things, as you can see there is indentation on the thermal pad of the components it was beneath/above of.

Not to mention they're kinda sticky, if you just stick it somewhere and shake hard sure it'll fall off, but if you compress it between 2 things even for just a bit of pressure, very very unlikely.

So there's very little chance it could just fell off from... for example.. inbetween VRAM chip & heatsink

Since the GPU heatsink need to be mounted very very very loose for installed pads to just fell off.

Hello

I recently RMA my GPU ASUS TUF 3070 and got a replacement unit to ROG Strix 3070 Ti since they don't have the same model in stock, which is great for me.
Currently using it with the RM750 2 PCIe ,1 of them pigtail-ed since the GPU need 3 8 pin.

Problem is, when I tried to tidy up the desk and the bubblewrap (the new GPU didn't fit the box so they wrapped it in bubblewrap so I just put that into my bag), I noticed there was a single, one piece of thermal pad in there, maybe it came off because of the shaking of the bag or something.

Tried playing Dota 2 and Project Zomboid, it ran fine (excluding the occasional black flicker in Project Zomboid due to the zoom in and out, maybe I need to play it again to make sure), I also tried RDR2 high setting less than 5 minutes

Will it be fine in the long run to continue using the GPU without caring about the dropped/comes-off thermal pad? I mean, that means a part has not been covered with a thermal pad, right?

IMG_20240405_073413.jpg

IMG_20240405_085846.jpg

1 hour ago, scelusia said:

Hello

IMG_20240405_073413.jpg

IMG_20240405_085846.jpg

IMO,

It could just be leftover pads that got stuck somewhere on the card and fell off in shipping.

GPU thermal pads usually very compressed between 2 hard things, as you can see there is indentation on the thermal pad of the components it was beneath/above of.

Not to mention they're kinda sticky, if you just stick it somewhere and shake hard sure it'll fall off, but if you compress it between 2 things even for just a bit of pressure, very very unlikely.

So there's very little chance it could just fell off from... for example.. inbetween VRAM chip & heatsink

Since the GPU heatsink need to be mounted very very very loose for installed pads to just fell off.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

If it was actually from that GPU I would have expected either the hot spot would be insanely high, or the whole card would likely have shut down or gone up in smoke from overheating.

So yeah, I'd assume it just accidentally got included while packaging.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Posted (edited)
On 4/5/2024 at 11:29 AM, Poinkachu said:

IMO,

Ah, I see. I was kinda scared it came off while on the way back or something. Potentially making the GPU faulty later

I guess its just leftover or additional pad that got included and fell off

On 4/5/2024 at 2:04 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

If it was actually from that GPU I would have expected either the hot spot would be insanely high, or the whole card would likely have shut down or gone up in smoke from overheating.

So yeah, I'd assume it just accidentally got included while packaging.

Been trying to game and stream RE7, DOTA2, and RDR2

Been fine so far

So yes, I guess it was just accidentally included like you said.

Kinda scared me there

Thank you all :))

So I can't actually mark more than 1 answer as solution, first time I know this

Not to familiar with forums

Edited by scelusia