Windows 11 Home for Refurb PCs

ahuckphin
Posted (edited)

Previously when I acquired a used laptop from a Microsoft authorised refubisher, it would come with 2 licenses:

1) A Windows 10 Home for Refurb PCs key printed on a physical sticker stuck to the bottom of the laptop and activated for the Windows 10 Home instance installed.

2) A Windows 10 Pro OEM key (the key tied to the hardware)

When I reinstalled Windows on this laptop with a USB from the media creation tool, Pro edition will automatically be installed and activated. Then I can set aside the Home key since I had the product key on a sticker. 

I recently acquired another used laptop from the same refurbisher except instead of Windows 10, it's now Windows 11. Again, it came with 2 licenses:

1) A Windows 11 Home digital license without any physical sticker 

2) Windows 10 Pro OEM key

I'm concern that if I reinstall Windows 11 on this machine with a USB from the media creation tool, it'll automatically install and activate Pro edition and I'll lose the Home key (since it isn't binded to hardware and a fresh install would wipe it). 

Is there any possible way to get the product key associated with the Home digital license? 

Image1.jpeg

Image2.png

Edited by ahuckphin
added images + reworded question

59 minutes ago, ahuckphin said:

Say I want to reinstall Windows using a USB installer, I reckon I would need to know the Home product key? 

No, just reinstall and windows should reactivate with the digital license. 

20 minutes ago, C2dan88 said:

No, just reinstall and windows should reactivate with the digital license. 

From my understanding, Windows will default to use the OEM key, which isn't the Home key. 

2 hours ago, ahuckphin said:

Previously when I acquired a used laptop from a Microsoft authorised refubisher, it would come with Windows 10 Home installed and a Windows 10 Home for Refurb PCs key printed on a physical sticker stuck to the bottom of the laptop. The laptop OEM key, the key tied to the hardware though would be for Windows 10 Pro. 

I recently acquired a used laptop from the same refurbisher except instead of Windows 10, it's now Windows 11. Again, a Home edition of Windows is installed and activated while an OEM key that is for Pro edition of Windows is retrievable (i.e. through ShowKeyPlus or wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey). However, there is no physical sticker with the Windows 11 Home key. It's a digital license as seen in the activation page in Settings.

Is there any possible way to get the product key associated with the digital license? Say I want to reinstall Windows using a USB installer, I reckon I would need to know the Home product key? 

Image1.jpeg

Image2.png

Windows is now bound to the unique hardware ID of your hardware. So if you reinstall it will automatically activate