Can unplugging gpu but keeping it in slot damage mobo?

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
5 minutes ago, Fat Cat11997 said:

if i have a gpu that uses a psu cable and then just unplug the cable will it just fry the mobo or will it just stop working?

It won't break anything, but if this is for troubleshooting you should still take the card out. Some cards will initialize without power connectors and just show "plug in the power connector," others will just initialize but not actually do anything, and others will act like you were hoping where it pretends it wasn't even in the system. 

I've heard that some really low power gpus can run just off of the power from the pcie slot, but if i have a gpu that uses a psu cable and then just unplug the cable will it just fry the mobo or will it just stop working? I need to take out my gpu for some troubleshooting but im kinda lazy and i don't want to wear out the pcie slot too much.

5 minutes ago, Fat Cat11997 said:

if i have a gpu that uses a psu cable and then just unplug the cable will it just fry the mobo or will it just stop working?

It won't break anything, but if this is for troubleshooting you should still take the card out. Some cards will initialize without power connectors and just show "plug in the power connector," others will just initialize but not actually do anything, and others will act like you were hoping where it pretends it wasn't even in the system.