i just a new 4070 gpu and its performing worse then my old 2070 super

i did a clean reinstall of my drivers updated windows etc and yet it keeps peaking too the max on task manager

12 minutes ago, darkrobbe1 said:

i did a clean reinstall of my drivers updated windows etc and yet it keeps peaking too the max on task manager

I'm pretty sure it's a crypto virus.

6 minutes ago, BentleyOwen123 said:

what are the specs of the rest of your system

image.png.cc4b8b5957a29e6ccc0c68cf28ad77e9.pngi added 2 more ram sticks

7 minutes ago, BoomerL4D said:

its a new gpu and windows scanner found nothing

22 hours ago, BoomerL4D said:

yeah, but it should not run on a clean install if there are no other drives in the system.

@darkrobbe1 do you have ANY external drives in the system that have not been fully formatted before the re install?

21 hours ago, darkrobbe1 said:

Spoiler

image.png.cc4b8b5957a29e6ccc0c68cf28ad77e9.png

i added 2 more ram sticks

A 3900X for a 4070 is something....

that doesn't have to mean anything.

Do you mean Windows Defender or are you running an external scanner?

If you mean Defender, try something like sophos 

I am NOT a professional and I write before I think, so REFRESH THE PAGE!!!  Theres a 99% chance I've edited my post.

Also: Please enable XMP/D.O.H.C before asking why your ram is too slow.

21 hours ago, Sanedish said:

yeah, but it should not run on a clean install if there are no other drives in the system.

@darkrobbe1 do you have ANY external drives in the system that have not been fully formatted before the re install?

i fully wiped the old driver with DDU and installed the new driver for my 4070

A 3900X for a 4070 is something....

all my friends said this cpu is plenty strong for now and im not cpu bottlenecked atm 

Just now, darkrobbe1 said:

i fully wiped the old driver with DDU and installed the new driver for my 4070

With DDU???

That is not made to wipe Hard Drives!

I would always clear m drives in the windows installation process, just delete all partitions.

I am NOT a professional and I write before I think, so REFRESH THE PAGE!!!  Theres a 99% chance I've edited my post.

Just now, Sanedish said:

With DDU???

I would always clear m drives in the windows installation process, just delete all partitions.

nono i got a ssd and a m.2 

With DDU???

OP is referring to using DDU for their GPU DRIVERS, not storage drives. 

22 hours ago, BoomerL4D said:

Install and run a scan with Malwarebytes, Windows Defender doesn't detect some cryptominer viruses, and can miss quite a few things.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

3 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Install and run a scan with Malwarebytes, Windows Defender doesn't detect some cryptominer viruses, and can miss quite a few things.

i did and it came back clean

Just now, darkrobbe1 said:

Not a cryptominer then.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

So, 

@darkrobbe1

Did you 100% wipe all the drives that you have in you're system?

If not: I would back up you're most important data, put it through VirusTotal and then thoroughly format (NOT fast format) all the disks to avoid getting re-infected due to infested files on different ssd's/hard-drives 

2 minutes ago, Sanedish said:

So, 

@darkrobbe1

Did you 100% wipe all the drives that you have in you're system?

If not: I would back up you're most important data, put it through VirusTotal and then thoroughly format (NOT fast format) all the disks to avoid getting re-infected due to infested files on different ssd's/hard-drives 

A format and reinstall is a last resort, this could still just be a simple driver/software fix that doesn't require a format and reinstall. We've already ruled out a cryptominer virus. I'd advise against going this route until we do some more troubleshooting. 

Just now, SpookyCitrus said:

A format and reinstall is a last resort, this could still just be a simple driver/software fix that doesn't require a format and reinstall. We've already ruled out a cryptominer virus. I'd advise against going this route until we do some more troubleshooting. 

We are currently assuming that he has some sort of Miner virus on his system due to the instant GPU usage spikes.

Speaking of miners, @darkrobbe1, did you happen to install software like Salad, Folding@Home or BOINC that might be running in the background causing imens gpu usage?

20 minutes ago, darkrobbe1 said:

Back to business, if the Malwarebytes and Windows Defender scans came back clean, I'd say you're good on that front. I don't think it's a virus or cryptominer related. 

You've already done a DDU and fresh install of the GPU drivers, so it shouldn't be the GPU drivers, when was the last time you updated the bios or chipset drivers? If you never have I would. Go to the manufacturer webpage for your motherboard and install the latest drivers including the latest bios. I'd also after updating the bios make sure resizable bar and above 4g encoding are enabled in bios. Then test for your GPU performance again.

3 minutes ago, Sanedish said:

We are currently assuming that he has some sort of Miner virus on his system due to the instant GPU usage spikes.

Speaking of miners, @darkrobbe1, did you happen to install software like Salad, Folding@Home or BOINC that might be running in the background causing imens gpu usage?

We have already ruled out virus and cryptomining malware. OP has done the necessary scans using the appropriate software. It was established in a previous reply already.

1 hour ago, darkrobbe1 said:

added 2 more ram sticks

Does this mean you now have 4 sticks of RAM? If so, was that at the same time as the new GPU?

Also, is your GPU on a riser cable or directly connected to the motherboard?

5 hours ago, Sanedish said:

Also: may you be quiet who suspects a current gen nvidia driver on a fresh driver install to make the gpu idle at 100% utilization with an old af cpu?

To be fair though that thing still packs a punch, 12 cores with a turbo of 4.6ghz is quite a good cpu huh?

Not everyone can easily afford an 7950X3D

I'm not beeing CPU triggered tho it's sitting at 60%

Can you describe what the actual performance issues are?

Gaming? If so, what game(s)? What resolution and settings are you playing on? What fps are you receiving on the 4070? How does it compare to the 2070S?

If you swap the card back to the 2070S does performance improve? 

It can be a good idea to enable an on screen performance display or logging while checking this to help diagnose the issue. MSI afterburner has an OSD built in that will display things like CPU, GPU, memory usage, temperatures, etc. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 hours ago, darkrobbe1 said:

I'm not beeing CPU triggered tho it's sitting at 60%

I know that you are not limited by the CPU, that was just an argument. Ignore that.

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

Gaming? If so, what game(s)? What resolution and settings are you playing on? What fps are you receiving on the 4070? How does it compare to the 2070S?

It can be a good idea to enable an on screen performance display or logging while checking this to help diagnose the issue. MSI afterburner has an OSD built in that will display things like CPU, GPU, memory usage, temperatures, etc. 

That would be a good idea to try.

3 hours ago, Spotty said:

The issue was I was getting About 40fps sometimes playing helldivers 2 even on medium settings on 1080 and a 4070 should not be struggeling with that

29 minutes ago, darkrobbe1 said:

The issue was I was getting About 40fps sometimes playing helldivers 2 even on medium settings on 1080 and a 4070 should not be struggeling with that

that's because it's not your card friend.  a quick test is to jump in to hell divers 2 and turn all the GPU intensive settings down.  Resolution, textures, shadows and reflections.  Turn all your CPU intensive settings up.  Geometry, LOD, vegetation, crowd density.  If your framerate doesn't improve then you'll know it's the CPU can't handle it. 

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

8 hours ago, Spotty said:

i think i fixed it??????
Changing PCIex16_1 setting in BIOS from [Auto] to [Gen 3] fixed the poor performance issue.
i turned this back too auto and im getting 90 fps on high everything on helldivers 2

6 hours ago, Sanedish said:

I know that you are not limited by the CPU, that was just an argument. Ignore that.

That would be a good idea to try.

can it be that it cant get the performance out of the card due too it beeing a gen4 card in a gen 3 motherboard?