You dirty rotten scumbags: Internal memory full. 😡

[Yeah, I'm about to jump ship to a 128gb phone. But this shouldn't be.]

1. It's disgusting that the internal memory should become full when I have an SD card.

2. It's disgusting that I can't clean it up. 

I learned that DELETED pictures get saved to internal memory for some reason. So clearing those is one way to clear up space. What about text messages? Are THEY stored in internal memory too?

3. WATCH OUT for the suggestion to remove apps and files. They are not stored in the internal memory anyway. SO YOU'LL BE DELETING THEM FOR NOTHING.

Even worse, you might not be able to re-download them if there is not enough workable space on the internal memory.

This is ridiculous that Android works this way. 

Screenshot_20240402-175957.png

Screenshot_20240402-180020.png

Ah yeah android is now like 9gb or so for a minimal install? Its stupid tjat and how they moved away from external storage use being well integrated in the os and its usage.

What phone do you have that came with 16gb of onboard only? Seems you can free up 3gb of space from some files?

Dont really know of any 16gb phone from the last few years.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

That's probably gonna be an older phone or an reaaaaaaaaaaaaally budget one.

I am NOT a professional and I write before I think, so REFRESH THE PAGE!!!  Theres a 99% chance I've edited my post.

Also: Please enable XMP/D.O.H.C before asking why your ram is too slow.

6 hours ago, jaslion said:

What phone do you have that came with 16gb of onboard only? Seems you can free up 3gb of space from some files?

None of those files are stored on internal memory. That's my point. The phone is telling me to delete things that won't free up and space. Imagine making the tough decision let go of some files only to find out that it was all for nothing.

The phone is a Motorola E6 that I had since 2021.

5 hours ago, Sanedish said:

That's probably gonna be an older phone or an reaaaaaaaaaaaaally budget one.

Both. It's a Motorola E6 (Unlocked) that I had since 2021. It retailed for 250 stone at the time. (~$250.01 USD).

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, TheEgg said:

None of those files are stored on internal memory. That's my point. The phone is telling me to delete things that won't free up and space. Imagine making the tough decision let go of some files only to find out that it was all for nothing.

The OS is probably gonna be in panic mode so it tells you to do every single bit of possible storage free up.

At this point you'll be better of with an used S8 or S10 128gb, wich go for around 50 and 100€ over here in germany on ebay.

Both have long surpassed they're last update [the S10 being at OneUi 4.1 and Android 12, current is 6 point something and Android 14 with 15 already cooking up], so those would be an "if i get it real cheap" or "i don't need much" phone, and the S8, well.... I think you know what Happend to it by samsung.

But let's focus on the main issue again:

You will probably be unable to delete any storage since android now takes up at least 10gb as far as i know. Then you get motorola software, back up files, cache, pre-installed apps, hidden features... All ending up in no space for the user with these types of phones, wich is why 16gb vanished from the market.

Just buy a Nothing phone, used Pixel 6, or anything in that price category and you're waaay better of than with this thing, even if the phone is overkill for you, it will be better then this and way more future proof.

Or you can just take all you're money and buy a brand new flag ship ;).

Edited by Sanedish

I am NOT a professional and I write before I think, so REFRESH THE PAGE!!!  Theres a 99% chance I've edited my post.

Also: Please enable XMP/D.O.H.C before asking why your ram is too slow.

5 hours ago, TheEgg said:

The phone is a Motorola E6 that I had since 2021.

Both. It's a Motorola E6 (Unlocked) that I had since 2021. It retailed for 250 stone at the time. (~$250.01 USD).

Ooh that one. Damn you overpayed that was like a 100€ phone here. Like extreme budget stuff that wasnt even good.

If you arelooking for a budget phone the xiaomi m6 pro is a good option. You may want to use the universal android debloater tool as the reason its so cheap is because it comes with a bunch of crapware installed.

Android 9 has become bloated and takes up about 12gb on a lot of devices. That with system updates included will simply get this phone over the edge. Its why 16gb doesnt exist and 32gb devices are very rare these days.

Its really dumb but this phone has basically bricked itself by getting too many updates.

When it comes to flash storage, you have to overprovision when determining how much internal storage to get. Because when you fill up the last ~20% its going to slow to a crawl. Its just the nature of flash storage. If you fill it all up, Android just straight up breaks.

Many people dont know this and think their phone is on it last legs when they accumulate too much data.

When buying your next phone, also make sure the internal storage is UFS3 or faster. The faster the storage technology, the more you can store before speed gets crippled.