After cutting a hole in my case, do I need to use any sort of liquid sealants on the edges of the hole?

I needed to make modifications to a metal computer case and have cut holes in it, but now that I think about it I don't like how the bare metal is just exposed now in the holes I cut. Both from worry of rust now that it has been cut through, and of there being any metal filings left that can get blown into the electronics (even though I did sand it down a lot). Is there any sort of spray or other liquid I can brush onto the holes to act as a sealant for the sides of the metal holes I cut?  

The holes are too close to each other to use one of those rubber strips over it, plus then the fans would not fit flat against it if I used that.

What is the case made of? Steel rusts (does a magnet stick to it?), aluminum oxidizes. Generally rust of oxidation will only happen if you are in a humid environment. In all my years of PC modding I've never bothered to do anything with my cut edges other than file them so they aren't sharp as I'm not in a humid environment. It's never been an issue.

Filings and metal debris will either be present or not. You either cleaned it all up or you didn't. It won't continue to create more. So this shouldn't be a concern.

If you want to prevent rust, etc. you can paint the case, or clear coat your cut edges. The easiest way to do this without doing everything is with a small brush, and just dab along the edges. However be aware, it's likely to run down the flat surfaces too if you aren't very careful.

Use some 800 grit sandpaper to smooth the cuts, then paint the bare metal.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

17 minutes ago, thevictor390 said:

I believe the word you are looking for is "paint."

5 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Use some 800 grit sandpaper to smooth the cuts, then paint the bare metal.

I see, thought I would need something more specific than just paint, didn't know it would be that simple. Any specific type of paint?

17 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

What is the case made of? Steel rusts (does a magnet stick to it?), aluminum oxidizes. Generally rust of oxidation will only happen if you are in a humid environment. In all my years of PC modding I've never bothered to do anything with my cut edges other than file them so they aren't sharp as I'm not in a humid environment. It's never been an issue.

Filings and metal debris will either be present or not. You either cleaned it all up or you didn't. It won't continue to create more. So this shouldn't be a concern.

If you want to prevent rust, etc. you can paint the case, or clear coat your cut edges. The easiest way to do this without doing everything is with a small brush, and just dab along the edges. However be aware, it's likely to run down the flat surfaces too if you aren't very careful.

I don't know what it's made of, though magnets did stick to it. It's a Dell Precision T5810, but I can't find what the case is made out of. Is there anything specific I should look in a clear coat for this?

just make sure to get rid of all the burs and smooth the edge with some sandpaper, i've yet to encounter a computer case that's made from something that'll rust easily, and the sort of place you use a computer arent really environments where rust is likely to happen.

if you insist on protecting the cut edges with something, there's a wide range of options to explore:

- many forms of tape

- nail polish

- a heavier (thicker) oil, or grease

- some types of glue also work really well for a lack of better options

1 hour ago, Cyber Akuma said:

Any specific type of paint?

Not really, as long as it's made to stick to metal and the color goes with your case.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

As above, so below. 😉

Don't forget to sand.

Very fine metal dust might get stirred up and get where you don't want it, but larger stuff won't unless you're using VERY powerful fans, and that would ruin your ears. Make sure to clean it up so you don't have to worry.

Before applying a coat, check to make sure that the measurements match is abdomen. 😆  seriously, use a little of the clear coat on a small area you'll never see (generally, that would be the bottom) to make sure it doesn't alter the color of the paint on your case. Last year, I made a nice cedar box and stained it with cherry juice and coffee, then applied polyurethane, which completely neutralized it. 😞 yes, I know, that was wood, but we're still talking chemistry here. It would be better to get an acrylic or oil-based paint or clear coat because water-based on top of another type doesn't work well. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

I mod my cases a lor. I use Krylon fusion or any automative spray pain for for this stuff. 

Scruff up the boy with 300-800 grit first.

Without the pc in it, run a decent magnet all along the in/outside after standing, before painting. The iron dust looks like regular dust but much worse for the PC.

3 hours ago, doug_locke said:

I mod my cases a lor. I use Krylon fusion or any automative spray pain for for this stuff. 

Scruff up the boy with 300-800 grit first.

Without the pc in it, run a decent magnet all along the in/outside after standing, before painting. The iron dust looks like regular dust but much worse for the PC.

Totally forgot about that brand. It's been around for a long time.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

7 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Totally forgot about that brand. It's been around for a long time.

Ristoleum also makes a black Automotive spray on primer. Its supposed to stop/cover rust. On the cheap side for such things Great for gouges, scratches, slight dents, etc after modding a steal case. Down side is, being a primer, its very matte And mildy tacky after drying. It attracts dirt without a top coat (any cheap spray paint will do)

10 hours ago, Cyber Akuma said:

I did use a magnet when I was first cutting it, and have wiped it down with paper towels since.

Thats Very intuitive (if you thought of it without prompting). It took me many many years to realize to do that.

22 minutes ago, doug_locke said:

Ristoleum also makes a black Automotive spray on primer. Its supposed to stop/cover rust. On the cheap side for such things Great for gouges, scratches, slight dents, etc after modding a steal case. Down side is, being a primer, its very matte And mildy tacky after drying. It attracts dirt without a top coat (any cheap spray paint will do)

I think you mean Rustoleum? I used to sell both products as a teen working at Fleet Farm.

On 4/6/2024 at 5:43 PM, RevGAM said:

I think you mean Rustoleum? I used to sell both products as a teen working at Fleet Farm.

Indeed I do... It's my "go-to" for water (or pet urine) damaged metal parts. 

received_1544413269440004.jpeg

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

1 hour ago, doug_locke said:

Indeed I do... It's my "go-to" for water (or pet urine) damaged metal parts. 

received_1544413269440004.jpeg

Yeah, that will work. There are better products if you've got a runaway rust problem, of course.