Static Over Aux

Larsenist

I just switched to auxiliary from digital due to an issue I was having over my KVM switch. Now I have new problems 馃檭
There's a low static noise and whenever I'm not playing anything there's a louder static noise after a few seconds

All of my devices are connected to the same power strip as well. Just a random one I got from a discarded server cabinet years ago

My setup:

Asus PRIME X670E-PRO WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard -> Line-Out -> UGREEN 3.5mm TRRS aux cord -> LevelOneTechs KVM Switch -> UGREEN 3.5mm TRRS aux cord -> Logitech G560 speaker system

https://www.asus.com/us/motherboards-components/motherboards/prime/prime-x670e-pro-wifi/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M8ZMZ44?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

https://www.store.level1techs.com/products/p/14-kvm-switch-single-monitor-2computer-64pfg-7l6da

https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/products/gaming-audio/g560-rgb-gaming-speakers.980-001300.html

You can afford a nice motherboard and KVM switch, but you own g@m3R speakers?

What was the issue? Because I would've suggested getting a cheap DAC (like the Apple USB-C to 3.5mm dongle) and connecting it to the KVM, but that sounds it would be returning to the setup you switched away from.

edit: Omon_Ra beat me to it, but I think the TRRS cable may be the culprit. You should be using TRS cables.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

I'm going to guess it's the TRRS cables. Use regular TRS cables; TRRS would only be necessary if you're using a combo microphone/headphone jack. If you bypass the KVM, and directly plug in the speakers to your mobo's line out, is the static noise still there?

1 hour ago, Omon_Ra said:

Use regular TRS cables

I'll try some TRS cables and report back

2 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

You can afford a nice motherboard and KVM switch, but you own g@m3R speakers

To be fair I was in a much different situation when I bought the gaymer speakers years ago. They've done me well though. I'm no audiophile and can't even tell the difference between cheap and expensive headphones

2 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

like the Apple USB-C to 3.5mm dongle

The setup I had for the last 6 months was having the audio through USB through a decent ~$100 KVM Switch. I was hoping the new KVM switch from L1T would fix it but it didn't and I decided to try auxiliary. When directly connected from speakers to PC there's no issue but going through either KVM switch I get frequent audio drops. It also only happens in Linux. I get no drops on my work laptop running Windows. I've tried troubleshooting it multiple times and thinking replacing my motherboard would be the next step if I wanted to switch back to USB.

25 minutes ago, Larsenist said:

To be fair I was in a much different situation when I bought the gaymer speakers years ago. They've done me well though. I'm no audiophile and can't even tell the difference between cheap and expensive headphones

I can't speak for headphones since there have been plenty of times where I've bought multi-hundred $$ headphones and have been completely underwhelmed, but trust me if you ever upgrade to even the entry level ELAC Debut $230 speakers, you'll be amazed at how much you've been missing out on.

| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

2 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

ELAC Debut

I'll bookmark it. I probably wont upgrade until my current speakers give out on my though

Speakers priced similarly (at least on sale) to the ELAC debut that are also good

Emotiva B1+
KEF Q150
Polk ES10/15/20

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

Okay TRRS cables replaced with TRS ones and the same issues still occur

25 minutes ago, Larsenist said:

Maybe try a cheap DAC - preferably the $9 Apple USB-C DAC - and connect a 3.5mm stereo cable from the dongle to the speakers. If your KVM doesn't have an open USB-C port, you can use an adapter. I use a USB-C female to USB-A male adapter on my Windows PC with the dongle and there are no issues.

I'm sure the simplicity of Apple's dongle may switch better between computers compared to whatever nonsense the Logitech's DAC does.

54 minutes ago, Larsenist said:

You could try to isolate if your KVM has a crappy 3.5mm output or if the the Logitech has a crappy 3.5mm input.

Connect the 3.5mm cable to the Logitech input, and a known clean source like a smartphone. If there's still noise, we can conclude it's the Logitech's fault.

So using a USB to 3.5mm DAC, the static noise stopped and I don't appear to be having the audio drops I was when I was just using digital.

However, since switching to auxilary and still while using the DAC, for some reason when I play some games like Dead By Daylight or Cyberpunk 2077, there's a loud scratching sound. I don't hear the scratching when playing Overwatch or Bloons TD6. Though in Bloons TD6 there is a low volume static.

I just can't win, bros

1 hour ago, Larsenist said:

I just can't win, bros

RIP