Some questions on Presentmon

okkee

1. If there are fps drops/frametime spikes while the gpu busy graph is constant, would that indicate a cpu/system limitation?

2. Average GPU memory is about 3x as high as the actual vram of my card. I feel like that might just be a bug or am I misinterpreting it?

Which GPU and which game?

If memory usage is higher than what your card has, that means it spills over into system memory. Which greatly increases latency for memory access and can significantly impact performance.

If the GPU busy graph is constant and you get frame drops, that should indicate the GPU is working as hard as it can, but isn't able to maintain the frame rate, because some frames take longer to render. If your VRAM usage is higher than the available memory on the card, that would be the most likely cause.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

41 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Which GPU and which game?

If memory usage is higher than what your card has, that means it spills over into system memory. Which greatly increases latency for memory access and can significantly impact performance.

If the GPU busy graph is constant and you get frame drops, that should indicate the GPU is working as hard as it can, but isn't able to maintain the frame rate, because some frames take longer to render. If your VRAM usage is higher than the available memory on the card, that would be the most likely cause.

every game i play, the memory usage shows about 23gb. This is fear and tiny tina assault on dragonskeep. the gpu memory should not be that number. at least, properly.image.thumb.png.cd37e53829c453a2f0013ca282060f68.pngimage.thumb.png.9e4608ea588f6fdadf9d7b779fc655e3.png

Just now, okkee said:

every game i play, the memory usage shows about 23gb. This is fear and tiny tina assault on dragonskeep. the gpu memory should not be that number. at least, properly.image.thumb.png.cd37e53829c453a2f0013ca282060f68.pngimage.thumb.png.9e4608ea588f6fdadf9d7b779fc655e3.png

I should probably post sys specs.

i7-4790

xfx 5600xt

4x4gb 1600 ddr3

biostar hifi b85z5

500gb hdd - the games are on here

240gb sdd boot drive

44 minutes ago, okkee said:

every game i play, the memory usage shows about 23gb. This is fear and tiny tina assault on dragonskeep. the gpu memory should not be that number. at least, properly.

Yeah, that doesn't seem right. I agree that it sounds like a bug.

If I'm interpreting the other graphs correctly, it's saying the GPU is only busy for a very short period of time every frame, while GPU utilization is very low. That would be indicative of a CPU limit. Which isn't that surprising with a 4th gen i7.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

13 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Yeah, that doesn't seem right. I agree that it sounds like a bug.

If I'm interpreting the other graphs correctly, it's saying the GPU is only busy for a very short period of time every frame, while GPU utilization is very low. That would be indicative of a CPU limit. Which isn't that surprising with a 4th gen i7.

cpu limit is exactly what i know i have and expect to see but the gpu memory is what threw me off. will probably have to uninstall and reinstall.