Pop OS needs a different EFI partition?

Go to solution Solved by igormp,
1 hour ago, Gat Pelsinger said:

I just wanted to know if this is safe

It is.

but I also wanted to know why is there this requirement?

It's not, they're just asking for that size for precaution. My EFI partition is currently using less than 200MB with 2 different kernels in there (my default one and a LTS as a fallback).

2 hours ago, Gat Pelsinger said:

The way I saw it till this time was to have grub sit nicely on the main EFI partition and actually fit one it

Yes, you can just use a single partition.

What does it need that much space for?

Just for good measure, as I said before, so you won't have issues during upgrades or if you try to install many different kernels.

Need to try Pop OS and dual booting it with Windows. My default EFI partition is too small (it asks for 1 gigabyte??). I looked a tutorial and they made a separate partition for the EFI, while still having the main EFI partition. I just wanted to know if this is safe (like I really don't want to destroy my Windows Boot Manger or my files on NTFS drives), but I also wanted to know why is there this requirement? The way I saw it till this time was to have grub sit nicely on the main EFI partition and actually fit one it, and not require a separate 1 GB partition. What does it need that much space for? 

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

I just wanted to know if this is safe

It is.

but I also wanted to know why is there this requirement?

It's not, they're just asking for that size for precaution. My EFI partition is currently using less than 200MB with 2 different kernels in there (my default one and a LTS as a fallback).

The way I saw it till this time was to have grub sit nicely on the main EFI partition and actually fit one it

Yes, you can just use a single partition.

What does it need that much space for?

Just for good measure, as I said before, so you won't have issues during upgrades or if you try to install many different kernels.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga