I NEED HELP FINDING THE MAX MHZ MY MOBO CAN TAKE FOR MEMORY

Hello I have the MSI b650 pro vdh wifi motherboard and I am having trouble finding the max speed of ram my mobo can take please help?

Its AM5 so unless you know what you're doing and like experimenting, stop at DDR5 6000. Your motherboard isn't the concern, its your CPU. The memory controller is on the CPU which decides what can and cannot be handled. 

edit

Unless @Gat Pelsinger is right and its a typo. 

Just now, Gat Pelsinger said:

@SejinTi

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B560M-PRO-VDH-WIFI/Specification

Click on the detail tab. Also, did you do a typo? I could not find a b650m, rather a b560m.

Hi I was typing very fast and I was wrong it’s b550 I have the Intel i5 10400f and want to know the max amount of mhz I can have for ram 

1 minute ago, SejinTi said:

Hi I was typing very fast and I was wrong it’s b550 I have the Intel i5 10400f and want to know the max amount of mhz I can have for ram 

That changes things. There is no real point, again unless you are simply into memory tweaking, to buy anything faster than at most DDR4-3600 CL16 (Assuming a Zen2 or 3 CPU). 

Again though, the deciding factor is your CPU, not motherboard. The memory controller is in the CPU.

2 minutes ago, SejinTi said:

This will be 100% based on how good your CPU's IMC is. There are some people who have gotten 10400Fs to over 4400MT/s, and there are people who can't get it above 3600MT/s. I'd personally stick to 3200 CL16 for your max speed as that's cheap with good enough performance, and spending any more than necessary on DDR4 platforms doesn't make much sense nowadays. 

Just now, GuiltySpark_ said:

(Assuming a Zen2 or 3 CPU). 

There was another typo, it's B560 since they have a 10400F. 

3 minutes ago, SejinTi said:

Hmmm if it's for an Intel CPU then it's NOT a B550, maybe a B560...

Pls verify your references at least once 😛

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

This will be 100% based on how good your CPU's IMC is. There are some people who have gotten 10400Fs to over 4400MT/s, and there are people who can't get it above 3600MT/s. I'd personally stick to 3200 CL16 for your max speed as that's cheap with good enough performance, and spending any more than necessary on DDR4 platforms doesn't make much sense nowadays. 

There was another typo, it's B560 since they have a 10400F. 

Yeah sorry I keep mixing up b560 and b650😂

1 minute ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I give up lmao

I’m so out of it I keep mixing up my mobos it’s cause my other build has b650

Can you take a screenshot from cpu-z please (including current memory too) so we can confirm what motherboard and CPU you actually own.

1 minute ago, Tetras said:

Can you take a screenshot from cpu-z please (including current memory too) so we can confirm what motherboard and CPU you actually own.

Hi yes I’m really stupid for mixing up mobo gens but I found the box of mobo and it said this one so hope this helps 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

B560 boards support memory overclocking. Have you tried just overclocking your current memory to see if you get a performance boost before you invest in an upgrade?

Memory speed is important, but you may just be throwing too much money into a dead-end system that won't yield much performance boost - depending on the use case.

4 minutes ago, SejinTi said:

Hi yes I’m really stupid for mixing up mobo gens but I found the box of mobo and it said this one so hope this helps 

Can you take a picture of CPU-Z SPD tab please, you already have 32GB which should be enough for most users and since it is running at 2133 I wonder if you just need to enable XMP.

@SejinTi

Wait, seeing the pictures, you don't have XMP enabled. You are giving up free performance. Also, about what RAM to get, just get a 3200 or 3600 Mt/s kit, it will be fine. It is not DDR5 to really concern about higher speeds. And actually, the higher speed you go, the more CAS latency you add. If you want to go higher speed, you should just try out higher speed kits and see if they work.

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.